Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Robben- time to take action?

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
2r6p1cw.png

After the Suarez incident last week where numerous fans and pundits were calling for him to be banned for life for his violent conduct, I'd like to see where people stand on Arjen Robben cheating numerous times AGAIN on the world stage and succeeding in gaining a competitive advantage for himself and his team.

Suarez' violent behaviour is only shooting himself and his team-mates in the foot, whereas Robben has cheated his team through to the next round again at the expense of another nation. Suarez has been rightly vilified in the press, but will Robben get the same flak? I doubt it somewhat.

The situations aren't exactly similar in their nature but I would say that the Robbens of this world are having a far greater impact on tarnishing the reputation of football and having a negative impact on youngsters that play the game. For example, I think a kid is probably more likely to dive, knowing that he can win a game for his side if he does it well enough, rather than bite an opponent, screw their team over and be thought of as a complete nutcase.

Every time Robben got the ball today he was looking to catch someone's leg and go down, just as he does in the Champions League/Bundesliga, and once again he has prevailed. He has proven that cheats do in fact prosper if they're good enough to do it without officials noticing.

Is it time for FIFA to finally take action against the divers, either during the match with assistance or at least with retrospective action (which would open up a completely different can of worms of course), or should we just embrace the sorry fact that 'simulation' is now so deeply ingrained in the sport that it has become a tactic?

He has already come out and admitted diving in the first-half, but said nothing of the dive that he actually won the penalty from:

"I want to apologise. In the first half I took a dive. Sometimes you expect a kick, but I should not do this. Truly awful stupid.”

Link to the .gif of today's dive: http://worldsoccertalk.com/2014/06/...rlands-a-late-penalty-win-against-mexico-gif/
Past examples:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Thought the pen was the right decision. Slow mo showed that the defender trod on his foot; the fact that he went down like a girl made it look more like a dive.

There was an attempted tackle in the box about 10 mins before the equaliser that Robben had to jump out of and meant he had a worse angle to shoot from. In that case it would have been easier for him to take contact and get a stonewall penalty.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Totally agree.It would only take a quick "no" in the earpiece from linesman/4th official/someone placed in the stand with an instant replay to keep it fair in such a huge game.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Thought the pen was the right decision. Slow mo showed that the defender trod on his foot; the fact that he went down like a girl made it look more like a dive.

There was an attempted tackle in the box about 10 mins before the equaliser that Robben had to jump out of and meant he had a worse angle to shoot from. In that case it would have been easier for him to take contact and get a stonewall penalty.

Fair enough if thats what happened but I meant generally for dives in and around the box.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
unfortunately your right, diving has become so far ingrained that it appears to becoming an acceptable part of the game. I couldn't believe my ears when the cheating **** "won" the penalty one of the commentators stated, almost as vindication of the diver, that "he could of gone down on three other occasions but didn't! !

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill

There was an attempted tackle in the box about 10 mins before the equalizer that Robben had to jump out of and meant he had a worse angle to shoot from. In that case it would have been easier for him to take contact and get a stonewall penalty.

Apologies but IMHO that was never a penalty in a million years. Each decision must be taken in isolation and anything before is irrelevant. Poor decision by the defender to give the arbiter the option of a penalty when it clearly was not.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
In the A-league they went through about a month of banning any players caught diving for 3 games. Not sure why exactly they stopped doing it...

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
I really dislike Robben and his cheating, but I thought the one that was given was a foul. Unfortunately the way Robben throws his arms and head back (like he had been shot in a Hollywood Blockbuster) really doesn't help his cause. There was a 'behaviourist' (sorry, have no idea what his proper job title is/was) on TV a couple of years ago who explained that that sort of behaviour is only faked because it is not a natural reaction to pain; the natural reaction is to curl up into the foetal position and/or grab the injured limb, so throwing your arms/head back can only be an act.

Unfortunately the culture is now in football and until FIFA grow a pair and allow 4th officials to rule on such decisions, and lets be honest it hasn't ruined rugby as a sport, then these cheaters will continue to prosper. Get the vid ref in, and if they dive they get booked. If they are trying to win a penalty then it's an automatic red. I reckon that would stop it almost overnight.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
4th officials watching the video replay aren't going to solve everything. Even with the benefit of the replays, we've got a difference of opinion between us lot on this thread as to whether or not it was a penalty.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer

Well I respect your view, we do all see different things, but to me it was a blatant dive. There was minimal contact to the side of
Robbens foot, not enough IMO to bring an athlete to his feet.

Sadly, it seems the worst offenders in the cheating stakes are the guys that need to cheat least ..... ie the most talented. I don't need to name them. It truly is spoiling the game and FIFA need to do something about it NOW. But as they are under the spotlight for their own infractions I'll not hold my breath.
This is The World Cup Finals, the culmination of hundreds of games played throughout the World over the past two years and there's every likelyhood that the best cheats will win it. They might as well play cards with a hooky pack.

Bearing in mind that you can't call for video footage for every penalty shout. In pro footy perhaps one day they might apply a system used in cricket where each team has say 3 challenges. With a mandatory card for the diver when a challenge is upheld. Will these cheaters be so keen to dive when they know they will be judged by camera instantly, and maybe off for the early bath.

Well I can but dream.:(

Gluteus Maximus

Jul 10, 2003
Trumpton
Agree. Suarez deserves what he got but at the end of the day the only person hurt was a girly Italian who didn't like being nibbled. Robben time and time again insults 1000's and in this case millions of people with his cheating crap. I'd fine him with 4 months of 10m platform diving with the Chinese olympic team to show him how f'n amateur he is.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
He is a horrible, cheating ****. He exists because of people like Ernest who only care about winning at any costs and if you have to cheat to do it, oh well, whatever. I hate it. I hated it when Michael Owen did it, I hate it when Albion players do it and it's one of the reasons I don't love the game as much as I used to. How anyone can watch that and think that a slight contact on his foot made him fall like that is beyond me. You're kidding yourself.
Trust me I'm not ranting about the dirty foreigner here, we've got loads of cheats as well.

I'd just ban the divers for months. See how much they'd do it then but it's not going to happen is it ? It's ingrained and sullies the worlds greatest sport.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It is sad, some players get truly vilified for diving such as Suarez and Klinsman yet some players seem to base their career on it yet constantly get away with it. The worst offence for me is the way some players deliberately stick their back leg out as a challenge comes in and drag it along in the hope of some contact, which they can suddenly convert to a Sniper. Its really sad and is one of the worst things in football. FIFA need to view this in the same light as the tackle from behind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here