Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is the diving no worse than the biting?

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Yes, biting is f***ing disgusting! but diving is more widespread and extremely poorly policed by FIFA.

It also has a wider/bigger impact on the game than any one individual.

It's incredible that players and the media magnify every Referee's decision of note yet the players themselves are happy to fall down like little girls at every opportunity.

When will FIFA deem it cheating enough to act upon it.

This all snowballed from the 80's and us Brits were watching the likes of the Italians in absolute disgust. It's now spread like a cancer in football.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
They will make a referee to look at every 'tackle' to make sure it was a tackle and not a dive, like rugby, but this is FIFA, who knows

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
They will make a referee to look at every 'tackle' to make sure it was a tackle and not a dive, like rugby, but this is FIFA, who knows

There is no correlation to rugby. You can't dive and, generally, players don't feign an injury.

Every game is televised now or recorded. Start banning players for simulation and that might go some way towards eradicating the problem.

The trouble is, how much contact (or lack of) means it is a dive or not?

I've been punched (at work) and stood my ground, but I've also been knocked, but caught off balance.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
There is no correlation to rugby. You can't dive and, generally, players don't feign an injury.

Every game is televised now or recorded. Start banning players for simulation and that might go some way towards eradicating the problem.

The trouble is, how much contact (or lack of) means it is a dive or not?

I've been punched (at work) and stood my ground, but I've also been knocked, but caught off balance.

Unfortunately I think that will always be the argument. They claim that by running at pace even the slightest contact will knock you off balance. It annoys me as anyone that has played Sunday league will know you can take a pretty hefty kick and stay on your feet

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Yes, biting is f***ing disgusting! but diving is more widespread and extremely poorly policed by FIFA.

It also has a wider/bigger impact on the game than any one individual.

It's incredible that players and the media magnify every Referee's decision of note yet the players themselves are happy to fall down like little girls at every opportunity.

When will FIFA deem it cheating enough to act upon it.

This all snowballed from the 80's and us Brits were watching the likes of the Italians in absolute disgust. It's now spread like a cancer in football.

Teams can actually benefit from diving, so as much as we complain, we still take the goals/man advantage that comes from our players diving. We look for anything to excuse it from our players (when going fast the slightest touch can bring you down! You have to exaggerate things to make sure the ref sees it! He was anticipating contact! It's not a dive if there's contact. It's not nice, but if we win the title or a cup because of a dive, we wouldn't offer it back.

If someone bites another player, what do we get out of it? Nothing.

I would imagine that you get more goals from diving than you get from biting, and increasing the occurrence of goals is a big motivating factor in FIFA's attitude to the game (it's why using your hand to stop a goal is a red card, but using your hand to score one is a yellow, it's why advantage is meant to go with the attacking side on offside decisions, it's why denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity is so severely punished, it's why the offside was changed to stop goals being disallowed/attacks stopped because someone not affecting the game is offside, and so on)

Work to eliminate diving, and we might not be as successful. Work to eliminate biting, we're fine. So there is a greater pressure from every aspect of football (fifa, fans, players, clubs, etc) against eliminating something that won't cost them anything (goals, competition success etc).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here