Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

During the war....

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
I visited my Grandad during the week which was long overdue and despite my hectic lifestyle is something I don't do as often as I should.

He has just turned 90 and has many stories. As you'd probably expect, most of these stories are from the Second World War. Some I've heard before, some are boring and some are sad. I don't know why he tells them due to the clear upset they cause him but can only assume that it acts as a kind of therapy to release the trapped emotions.

Anyway, I wanted to share the story he told me this week....

My Grandad and his best friend who are from Liverpool volunteered to fight in the war at the age of 17. Together they were shipped to South Africa to begin training on a mission against the Germans. At this time the Japanese had advanced into India and Burma and the mission was abandoned and my Grandad and his mate sent to Burma to help push back the Japanese.

The good news was that they now fell under American control, which gave them fresh bread and meat everyday compared to the British rations that apparently caused a toughened American soldier to heave at just the sight of!

The Americans also promptly threw away their British guns that often jammed and replaced their worn out boots with a pair of correct size and that my Grandad would have worn back home as his Sunday best.

The bad news was that the battles were fierce and after 4 weeks my Grandad had buried 5 friends including his best mate from Liverpool.

I forgot to mention that during the training back at S Africa. A British corporal who's name I forget. ( my Grandad remarkably remembers every name) took a dislike to one of the trainees. The trainees name was Norman Hales and he was 17 from Blackpool.

Moving back to Burma and the jungle fighting continued. During one such battle, the corporal took a bullet in the knee. As he fell to the ground, Norman spotted him and ran to his aid. The corporal being a typical stiff Brit and disliking Norman shouted a load of abuse at Norman and told him to push on! Now I'm sure the corporal was just acting like a good soldier and roaring his comrades on whilst he dropped in pain, however as my grandad observed, young Norman staggered back and lost his bearings for a split second. Sadly that split second cost him his life as he was shot straight through his chest.

My grandad rushed over and held Norman in his arms as he died. Normans last act was to take off a ring from his finger and hand it to my Grandad and made him promise to give it to his mother and tell her that he loved her.

The war went on and a few weeks later my Grandad was shot in the leg whilst crossing a river and the war was over for him.

To my amazement my Grandad then said he still had the ring in his jewellery box!
He said that after he was released from hospital after 6 months, he wrote to the military to try and tack down Normans family but the the reply discouraged him for fear of upsetting the family further. My Grandad failed to find Normans mum by his own means and therefore for the last 70+ years has kept the ring safe in his wooden box.

I feel that the ring should be returned to the family by my Grandad before he passes himself. Maybe Norman had a younger sister or nephew/niece who may still be alive ?

Why do you guys think? Am I being to sentimental? Is the ring better off with my Grandad now? Does it matter?

Thanks for reading his story.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Depends on your Grandad and his own wishes. These days it isn't hard to track descendants down.

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
The ring has got to find its way back to the family.

The army will have the records, and it will be a fitting tribute to your Grandad when his final war mission is successfully completed.

Our country is so lucky to have people the caliber of your Grandad.

TB

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
If I was a descendent from Norman Hales' family I would REALLY appreciate getting this ring. It is always better to know that loved ones were thinking of their family at their moment of passing. If you can find the family it'd be cathartic for them, for you and for your Grandad. Good on you for listening so well, and caring. I wish I'd listened to my Grandad's, and indeed my dad's stories of their lives more. Too late now.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
This 'one ring' is clearly 'precious' to your grandad. Maybe go on a 'quest' to return it yourself but wait till he's passed....... otherwise it might upset him greatly you taking it from him and if they've waited, unknowing for 70 years I doubt Norman's mum is alive at 70+17+however many years personally so another 'x' years won't make a big difference to rest of his family. Plenty of help to return the ring, you could drag 8 or so friends along for the ride but just watch out for shortcuts involving Eagles

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Thanks for sharing the story.

My own view of the ring is that while it's entirely understandable that he acceded to the advice of the authorities at the end of the war and he's done nothing wrong by keeping the ring safe, by not returning it he has not followed a dying man's wishes. In the circumstances, those wishes would, to me, be similar to a Will and should therefore be honoured. If your Grandfather is unwilling to do it while he is alive, perhaps you could do the research now and return the ring yourself to the soldier's family at an appropriate time in the future?

That generation of men and women were truly remarkable. Your Grandfather is part of that generation - kudos and thanks to him.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Disregard what they say in regards to "upsetting" and if you can and wish too,do what you can to get the ring to the family,yes a few tears will be shed,but love,pride,and admiration will shine through.

I would and the so called "upset" they would supposedly feel,will pale into sheer insignificance to what old Norman and your grandad went through.

Enough time has passed to ease the pain enough to allow the family,i am sure with certainty to be so so very happy and thankful if you did-GO FOR IT!!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I will never tire of war stories. Thanks for sharing that.

I would reunite his ring with his family, personally, or at least try to.

Me neither-the main thing i love about them is the coming together,putting the petty differences aside for the moment and helping each other out..

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
Thanks for your replies, I will try and trace Norman Hales family. I think my Grandad should be the one to hand the ring over to fulfil his promise and lay the matter to rest before he passes away himself.

I shall let you know how I get on.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Thanks for your replies, I will try and trace Norman Hales family. I think my Grandad should be the one to hand the ring over to fulfil his promise and lay the matter to rest before he passes away himself.

I shall let you know how I get on.

Good on you,and i hope it goes well for all.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
What a wonderful thread/story.

A real life tale with meaning and history.

Enjoyed reading it. Your Grandad is a true hero

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here