Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dispatched to pick my lad up from a school chums party this afternoon, only the Charity ..

D

Deleted User X18H

..Shield house , off Dyke Road.

Very nice people , very aware of the history regarding the replica in their gable . And very keen to know more.

Had a good chat with them about it.

That is all.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Please, tell us more.

Lawro's Lip

Feb 14, 2004
West Kent
Dispatched to pick my lad up from a school chums party this afternoon, only t...

Is this it? From Argus archives regarding 5th September 1910. A hundred years ago today, on a Monday evening in fact, our very own Brighton and Hove Albion beat the then Football League champions Aston Villa to win the FA Charity shield.This amazing feat was achieved by the club even before the advent of manned flight, (well just) and was no doubt the greatest giant killing act of its time.
A modest crowd of 13,000 were assembled in Chelsea's Stamford Bridge for the early evening fixture.
It is not clear how many made the trip from Brighton and Hove, although it was reported that when Albion stalwart Charlie Webb scored the winner with around twenty minutes left, the goal was wildly cheered and received rapturous applause.
The result of course is etched permanently into the record books. And gives a sense of pride to Albion fans everywhere, who are perhaps a little starved of silverware to celebrate.

To this day there is a house on the Brighton side of Dyke Road that has a replica of the shield in its gable, which depicts the date the Albion won it.

Last edited:

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
m_238_Dyke_Road_2.jpg
:moo:

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Okay I will ask...get the replica but why this house in particular?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
And on the Dyke Road frontage (it was a big house) the 2 gables hold the coat of Arms of Brighton & Hove.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here