Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Only the captain should talk to the ref

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Watching the Brazil/chile game and it's striking how many of the players have decided they are within their rights to shout at the ref. they wag their fingers, wave imaginary cards and dispute every decision. Both sides are at it. All sides do it (even the Albion). Surely it's time for this to stop. Even the managers in this game are screaming from the touch line.

FIFA won't do anything (too busy hiding their loot) so what if Sami did something unilaterally. If he tells our skipper that he is the only Albion player who can talk to the ref. all the others just shut the flip up. If we feel there is a genuine concern, the skipper speaks to the ref. no histrionics, no pantomime, no play acting. We take a stand. We wouldn't need a new FA rule or FIFA changing the game. Just some decency and self-control from our team and manager.

I'd be interested to hear how a ref would respond if a team behaved like that. Surely they would be well inclined towards a team that behaved with a modicum of decency. Just musing.

Watching the Brazil/chile game and it's striking how many of the players have decided they are within their rights to shout at the ref. they wag their fingers, wave imaginary cards and dispute every decision. Both sides are at it. All sides do it (even the Albion). Surely it's time for this to stop. Even the managers in this game are screaming from the touch line.

FIFA won't do anything (too busy hiding their loot) so what if Sami did something unilaterally. If he tells our skipper that he is the only Albion player who can talk to the ref. all the others just shut the flip up. If we feel there is a genuine concern, the skipper speaks to the ref. no histrionics, no pantomime, no play acting. We take a stand. We wouldn't need a new FA rule or FIFA changing the game. Just some decency and self-control from our team and manager.

I'd be interested to hear how a ref would respond if a team behaved like that. Surely they would be well inclined towards a team that behaved with a modicum of decency. Just musing.

this 100%

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

You can't tell me this didn't occur to you in the Roy Keane Man U days?

Agree fully.

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
Watching the

Totally agree, but it would be the same for both sides so ref would not 'inclined'

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Totally agree, but it would be the same for both sides so ref would not 'inclined'

Well ideally all teams would do it. But on the face of it, refs appear to be influenced by the shouting from players (or else why would they do it). If we changed the behaviour unilaterally, perhaps refs would swing the other way and favour us?

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Forgive me if I am wrong but I believe this already is a rule (possibly just FA but pretty sure FIFA said something about it one or two world cups ago) alas, as with obstruction it appears to be largely ignored

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Well ideally all teams would do it. But on the face of it, refs appear to be influenced by the shouting from players (or else why would they do it). If we changed the behaviour unilaterally, perhaps refs would swing the other way and favour us?

Greer v Reading proves we would be the soft touch if we tried to do this without the rules being changed

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Agree with the OP and I'd like to see any player waving an imaginary card to be booked themselves, that would cut down this odious practice

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Rugby Union has a ruling that allows only the captain to talk to the ref, and query decisions. It should be applied in football too.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
The truthful answer nobody wants good losers. The onus is on the ref to be firm and deal with anyone who steps out of line.

You're assuming that by not shouting at the ref a team will inevitably lose. What I am wondering is would the ref respond well to that to the benefit of the team behaving decently? I don't accept that not shouting at the ref inevitably means defeat. You can still be hard but just not berate the ref.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I can see and hear nothing that convinces me that the rules are not in place already it is up to the refs to implement them. If you can 'get at the ref' and influence his decisions so be it, it is all up to him.

paul wickens

Wicko1
Dec 23, 2011
I can see and hear nothing that convinces me that the rules are not in place already it is up to the refs to implement them. If you can 'get at the ref' and influence his decisions so be it, it is all up to him.

As far as I'm aware, there is nothing in the laws in Football to this effect. Surely a sin bin (10 minutes) and a yellow card for any gob shite would reduce this problem in a few weeks? I'd also include 'brandishing' cards as a yellow card offence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here