Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Marines V Paras (British)

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Could any ex or current army members of NSC or anybody with an understanding tell me,what unit has the hardest physical testing to get in,which unit is considered the most elite and so forth..

The Marines date from the 1700's and have history,but the more recent airbourne could be argued were braver,dropping in behind enemy lines?

As i understand it the American Rangers are among their elite troops and they only take recruit's from their Airbourne divisions..

So is it the Green or Red Berets?

Thanks..

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Could any ex or current army members of NSC or anybody with an understanding tell me,what unit has the hardest physical testing to get in,which unit is considered the most elite and so forth..

The Marines date from the 1700's and have history,but the more recent airbourne could be argued were braver,dropping in behind enemy lines?

As i understand it the American Rangers are among their elite troops and they only take recruit's from their Airbourne divisions..

So is it the Green or Red Berets?

Thanks..

You wouldn't want to have this argument in front of a pair of them, thats for sure!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
You wouldn't want to have this argument in front of a pair of them, thats for sure!

Well perhaps not,but i've always wondered right from the Falklands war as each unit has always been considered the best.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I read in a book about the Falklands. that when the Marines entered Stanley, they passed a group of Argentine prisoners under guard of 2 Para... The paras barked an order, and all the prisoners stood up, and gave the Marines a wanker gesture as they passed ;-)

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
There's a lot of Marines who are qualified parachutists ,not many Para who are Commandos

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I have a personal interest in the Royals, but I think 32 weeks at Lympstone has the edge on P-company, just, but both will get my vote in the field.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
image.jpg

Sorry it had to be done!:rolleyes:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Only two things fall from the sky, seagull sh× t, and paratroopers

There's a certain search just off Australia that suggests there might be a third thing !

As for who's best - I've worked with both and all I can say is I'm f**king glad both are on our side.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I think that Marines are more 'technical' with their range of skills...Paras seem to be more of the 'hard as nails mad bugger' type shock troops....both superb.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Royal Marines for me, but then I'm biased.

Having said that, both the Royal Marines and the Parachute Regiment are superb professionals and without doubt the best at what they do in the world.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Having served alongside Marines and having a son who has done his P Company etc and is serving Airborne I would say there both mad as a box of frogs and would be happy to serve alongside the both of them

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I'm sure I read somewhere about a training camp of elite troops from a whole bunch of nations and the US Seals thought they would clean up but the British Marines absolutely smashed it. I'll see if I can find it...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here