Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Junker and the EU

• Thread starter Deleted member 22389
  • Start date

D

Deleted member 22389

Well I don't know about you but I think the appointment of JC Junker is completely wrong.

European Elections polls showed that there are millions of people who are unhappy with how the EU is being run, not just in the UK but across the EU, so how is it that somebody who is so Pro EU gets elected? Shouldn't this position always be taken by someone who is neutral so they can listen to both sides of the story.

Funny why nobody else in the EU has the same complaints as Cameron. Could it be that the other countries rely so much on these bailouts, that the peoples voices are no longer being heard.

One way or the highway with the EU. Just proves how undemocratic the EU has become.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Only 2 EU states opposed the appointment of Juncker , us and Hungary.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Well Cameron was claiming that a third of the European electrit voted against closer ties...well young David that means two thirds did vote for closer ties , that my friend is democracy! Also 24 votes for and 2 votes against is a bit daming.

D

Deleted member 22389

I asked the question earlier, shouldn't someone in this position be neutral or doesn't it work like this.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
The politics of the EU is a massively complex mix of bizarre voting and behind closed doors diplomacy, but in a very very simplistic way, president of the commission is put forward from the bloc/alliance that won the most votes in the EP election. It's not a million miles away from the government being chosen from the largest party after a UK general election.

So one could compare Cameron's hissy fit to a small regional UK party, say, Plaid Cymru or the SNP, kicking and screaming and trying to prevent him or Ed Milliband going into Downing Street after coming out on top in an election, cos they don't like him.

Simplistic, I know, but that is how it will be viewed in many parts of Europe.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I asked the question earlier, shouldn't someone in this position be neutral or doesn't it work like this.
The EU aim is to evolve into the United States of Europe , that will not happen with a politically neutral EU President.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
The EU aim is to evolve into the United States of Europe , that will not happen with a politically neutral EU President.

It's not a conspiracy theory! The EU is its member states and their voters, that is all. I agree there is a considerable "democratic deficit" (hate that phrase) that needs to be looked at it, but it's not some sort of Frankenstein's monster that has taken control of its own destiny - there is no grand scheme or plan.

In a strange way, this might actually help Cameron. The other leaders know he is unhappy about Juncker, they also know that there is a significant anti-Europe group in many of their own countries. They also know that this is especially so in the UK, and that Cameron has promised an in or out referendum.

If Cameron can´t show the British electorate some move towards what many people would see as improvement in Europe, this increases the chance that the referendum will produce an out vote.

And although the UK is not the most popular member in the EU, I'm sure none of the countries would want to see us leave. That would open a real can of worms that Europe certainly wouldn't want to deal with.

So I suspect that deals will be done to help Cameron to win the referendum, keep the UK in, assuming he gets reelected. But even if he loses the next election Ed Miliband will have the same problem, he'll be under massive pressure to agree to a referendum, which he might even do before the election anyway.

The likelihood is that a few scarps - maybe even something more significant - will be thrown our way to avoid any chance of the UK leaving.

Politics, innit.

Dandyman

In London village.
Cameron made a total idiot out of himself in a desperate attempt to stop Tory voters defecting to UKIP. In terms of British interests all it did is make us look both weak and untrustworthy to our EU partners.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Well Cameron was claiming that a third of the European electrit voted against closer ties...well young David that means two thirds did vote for closer ties , that my friend is democracy!

Err .... no it doesn't ..... it means two thirds voted for something other than less ties - that could well mean the status quo.

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
there are millions of people who are unhappy with how the EU is being run, not just in the UK but across the EU

Well said! Luckily many of those people demonstrate in the streets to voice their concerns...

9511adbeeb5a08e0210bd9c66d45301a.jpg

3df41c58ee6f549279040fdaac7ea548.jpg

article-1220830-06D93BF4000005DC-172_468x326.jpg

... I almost feel sorry for Western Europe. Almost.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Cameron made a total idiot out of himself in a desperate attempt to stop Tory voters defecting to UKIP. In terms of British interests all it did is make us look both weak and untrustworthy to our EU partners.

All he has done is made UKIP a more attractive proposition for wavering blue rinse Tory voters at the next general election.

D

Deleted member 22389

Well said! Luckily many of those people demonstrate in the streets to voice their concerns...

9511adbeeb5a08e0210bd9c66d45301a.jpg

3df41c58ee6f549279040fdaac7ea548.jpg

article-1220830-06D93BF4000005DC-172_468x326.jpg

... I almost feel sorry for Western Europe. Almost.

What you see here is another problem. Home grown fools and also open borders have created this mess.

Dandyman

In London village.
All he has done is made UKIP a more attractive proposition for wavering blue rinse Tory voters at the next general election.

UKIP will no doubt pick up votes from those still mourning Thatcher.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... there is no grand scheme or plan.

dont be daft, theres plenty of prominant EU advocates who will state outright their aim is to bring about a united european state. the only question for some is the rate of progress to this end. we have in the past tried to drive the EU into expansion, bring in the east europeans, as a way of exhusting this process.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
dont be daft, theres plenty of prominant EU advocates who will state outright their aim is to bring about a united european state. the only question for some is the rate of progress to this end. we have in the past tried to drive the EU into expansion, bring in the east europeans, as a way of exhusting this process.

Of course there are. And there are also those who want to limit EU integration. And those who want to roll it back. And those who want to pull their countries out altogether. And that's where politics comes in.

I just hate this notion that at the core of the EU there is a group of men dressed like the emperor from Star Wars, secretly pulling the strings until we are one united country.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I just hate this notion that at the core of the EU there is a group of men dressed like the emperor from Star Wars, secretly pulling the strings until we are one united country.

but there is. its no secret. a few years ago they attempted to rbing about a european constituion, until the people of various countries rejected the idea. during the recent economic troubles, there has been a power grab to centralise fiscal controls and only the Germans which fear inflation stopped an enhanced and federal based European Central Bank emerging. hence why Germany has become more aligned to the UK postion, wanting to slow things down. The EU exists for the intention of those that run it to drive towards a single unifiied state, despite the wishes of their peoples.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here