Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Butland or Westwood?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Westwood . Butland has the same hype as that Peterborough keeper had a few years back . Can almost make a case for Walton in this scenario .

To be honest I don't know much about Westwood though

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Westwood is the more consistent.

interesting on reflection - assumed when we let Kusczcak go that it was (a) about wages, and (b) we had a replacement lined up. Looks increasingly that both were false assumptions.

If we can afford to consider either of these we could afford to keep Tom for sure so presumably there was more going on behind the scenes. I know about the stories of marital shenanigans but that isn't really an issue with the manager going (if it was true which I doubt). There certainly looked to be personality issues on the pitch at times last season, especially towards the end. I'm guessing this was the issue and TK was held responsible.

Bialkowski at Notts Co said he was talking to a top ten championship side (assumed to be us) a few weeks ago and since Hyppia's appointment Nikki Maenpaa has recieved attention but if these two are also in the shake up we are clearly still not sorted.....maybe someone qas planned but couldn't do a deal? Again though, based on what Westwood or Butland would cost, any failure to sign a first choice would not appear to be an issue of "can't afford" although never rule out "can't agree a value".

Last edited:

waterhouse

Feb 22, 2009
somerset
Westwood . Butland has the same hype as that Peterborough keeper had a few years back . Can almost make a case for Walton in this scenario .

To be honest I don't know much about Westwood though

You mean Joe Lewis?
I think but land and Westwood are a lot better than that.
I think it would be a step up from Kuszczak IMO

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Westwood as he is a proven keeper for a couple of seasons. Walton is similar to Buckland but a couple of years behind so with Westwood as No1 for 2 or 3 seasons he would be up to the same level as Buckland.

waterhouse

Feb 22, 2009
somerset
If neither happens I would be happy to resign TK also Almunia has been released by Watford so perhaps 1 year contract to enable Niemi to work with Walton.

To be honest I wouldn't have Kuz back.
He was released for a reason.
As for Almunia did you watch the championship towards the end of the season when he was making mistake after mistake?

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
I take it your talking about Keiren Westwood? Only saw him a couple of times for Sunderland but pretty decent and should be good at Championship level with a view to keeping him between the posts if you were to go up

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I've always thought Westwood was a very good keeper so he would be my number one choice.

Where is Joe Lewis now? Haven't heard about him in quite a while.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
For me both are good but Westwood would be a 2 or 3 year deal in biggish money which might hinder the progress of Walton. Butland would be a year long loan which would mean club can reassess next year and see if Walton is ready to make step up

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
If neither happens I would be happy to resign TK also Almunia has been released by Watford so perhaps 1 year contract to enable Niemi to work with Walton.

Couldn't agree more. The worry for me, is that Westwood IMO, is a significant step back from Kuszczak. As others have said Butland would 'only' be on loan. A one year option whilst Walton is develop sounds sensible.

waterhouse

Feb 22, 2009
somerset
If Walton is as good as he is being hyped up to be then I would probably plump for butland on a season loan and hope that Walton steps up to the plate next season when we are in the prem :clap:

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I'd go for Westwood simply for the reason he'd be a permanent signing whereas Butland would only be a loan. I admittedly know very little about Westwood and have been impressed with Butland whenever we have played against him but we need consistency and someone who can help Walton progress and develop.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here