Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Car help

Jun 24, 2010
Goring
Morning. I have a car dilemma. Can't afford a new car but want to buy my wife a nice car. For those in the know, is it better to buy an older car with low mileage or a newer car with a higher mileage. My head tells me newer with higher miles as it's just likely been bombing up and down motorway so not too risky. Any more informed thoughts? Thanks

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patreon
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
High mileage is ok so long as it's got a full service history, but it will depend on the individual car and how much mileage the mrs is intending on doing.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Define "high" please? I'd be wary of a car that's done more than, say, 20k a year. If it's done that much, it's probably been a company car rather than privately owned. It's human nature to treat something that is owned and repaired by someone else less well than you would treat your own possessions.

If you're considering a car that's done 30k in 2 years with one that's done 20k in 4 years, I'd probably, just, go for the younger model - it may well still be under warranty, depending on marque.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Full service history, low mileage, 1/2 owners, older quality car = winner.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Got a car last year, 120k miles on 57 plate diesel Hyundai I30. Taken it another 10k or so miles with no issues. Car had full history and was considerably cheaper than a lower mileage older model

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Morning. I have a car dilemma. Can't afford a new car but want to buy my wife a nice car. For those in the know, is it better to buy an older car with low mileage or a newer car with a higher mileage. My head tells me newer with higher miles as it's just likely been bombing up and down motorway so not too risky. Any more informed thoughts? Thanks

Don't think any car can bomb up and down the motorway these days with all the speed camera's around.
I would be more concerned if a car did a lot of town and schools runs.and as others have said full service history is a must.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Define "high" please? I'd be wary of a car that's done more than, say, 20k a year. If it's done that much, it's probably been a company car rather than privately owned. It's human nature to treat something that is owned and repaired by someone else less well than you would treat your own possessions.

If you're considering a car that's done 30k in 2 years with one that's done 20k in 4 years, I'd probably, just, go for the younger model - it may well still be under warranty, depending on marque.

These days many cars that are used for business but owned and run by the individual since the days of company cars became so expensive. I can assure you, anyone who bought any of my last 3 25k+ a year cars got an absolute beauty, well looked after, always serviced on time and treated well for the entire time I owned them.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I don't know what the budget is,but i picked up a nice example silver 2.0 HDI Diesel 5dr Xsara hatchback....yes i know it's not a popular model,but under it's shell it's the same as a Picasso,perhaps the most popular small people carrier( :lolol: ) ever?

2002 with 110,000 miles,now for some people that's too high and old,but,timing belt intervals are up to 10 years or 100,000 miles on those,it was done 7 years ago according to a stamp in the book at 70,000 so for peace of mind i got my garage to replace it along with the fan belt,and the main crankshaft oil seal,water pump,oil and water service too all for £410...

When i purchased the car it was with history but had many bills and receipt's,which personally i prefer to a stamped book as you can see what has been replaced..

It was owned by a chap who had it for the last 4 years and was garaged most of the time,at may i add a £1/2m pound address,he had tired of the vehicle.

I have a diploma in automobile engineering,i have been in the motor trade and currently drive for a profession hgv,so lets just say i know what i am looking at in the bargain basement..

The turbo did not smoke,the clutch biting point was in the middle,the driveshaft's did not click,there were no nasty sounds at start up,the car looks underneath like it is half its age both inside and out,the paperwork stacked up,hpi was clean,4 owners..

paid £750 for it,very reasonable.....i own it,if i smash it or it blows up,or it's stolen i am out of pocket for only £750....stress free,air conditioned,reliable and relativley fast motoring....

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
These days many cars that are used for business but owned and run by the individual since the days of company cars became so expensive. I can assure you, anyone who bought any of my last 3 25k+ a year cars got an absolute beauty, well looked after, always serviced on time and treated well for the entire time I owned them.

I didn't mean to cast personal aspersions! I'm sure there are many drivers whose employer pays for everything who take great care of the vehicle.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Mileage doesn't matter so much with diesels. I'd go for a Peugeot personally.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
You like random electrical faults?

Have none,check before buying and yes there is a element of risk,always check the c/locking, windows,the heater,lights etc,aircon works.

i paid £1200 in 2006 for a X plate 2.0 petrol Zetec Mondeo with 85,000 on it and all that needed replacing was front anti roll bar links,dealer demo plus 1 owner,immaculate and about a £1000 behind the retail at the time,i may add the aircon condensor needed replacing but again faultless for 5 years other than the perishables,oil,air filters etc......oh and the cig light did not work :lolol: so perhaps you have a point..

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here