Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

100 years ago today

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
100 years ago today Archduke Ferdinand and his wife were murdered in Sarajevo by Garvilo Principle. The rest they say is history.

I sometimes wonder to myself if he had realised what he was about to unleash on the world if he would of fired them shots.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
100 years ago today Archduke Ferdinand and his wife were murdered in Sarajevo by Garvilo Principle. The rest they say is history.

I sometimes wonder to myself if he had realised what he was about to unleash on the world if he would of fired them shots.

would he have changed his mind if he foresaw the carnage that followed?One would hope he would.......wouldnt you.

But people like Gavrilo Princip are unfortunately not unique though,there have always been people like him throughout history who dont give a toss about human life or repercussions of actions,their political and religious focus is mostly selfish.

Step forward 100 years and there are extremists who are dying in the hope their death will play a part in a Holy War that will result in the death of millions upon millions of people who do not share their religious views.These people do not care about human life or consequences either.

If Gavrilo Princip was anything like the modern day nutters trying to force their own opinions i doubt he would have given a toss how many would die even if he did know.

Last edited:

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
The war would have happened anyway. The assassination just gave Austria the excuse she needed to attack Serbia.

But Austria didn't attack Serbia did it. In fact the last declaration of war after Germany, France, Russia, Belgium, UK etc had all
taken sides was that Austria declared war on Serbia. The balloon had already gone up so to speak. Austria was effectively
played a minor role. Unless I'm talking twoddle.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Princip was an anarchist no?
The resultant slaughter was exactly the outcome hoped for if not precisely intended.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
But Austria didn't attack Serbia did it. In fact the last declaration of war after Germany, France, Russia, Belgium, UK etc had all
taken sides was that Austria declared war on Serbia. The balloon had already gone up so to speak. Austria was effectively

Yes it did, and yes you are.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
In fact the last declaration of war after Germany, France, Russia, Belgium, UK etc had all

you are correct,everyone was at war before the two countries that started all the crap decided to go to war with each other.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
you are correct,everyone was at war before the two countries that started all the crap decided to go to war with each other.

Er, no he isn't. Austria declared war on Serbia on July 28th, and bombarded Belgrade the following day. Russia, Germany, France and Britain did not even begin mobilising for a few days after.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Er, no he isn't. Austria declared war on Serbia on July 28th, and bombarded Belgrade the following day. Russia, Germany, France and Britain did not even begin mobilising for a few days after.

Well maybe you want to write a letter or an email to the BBC to tell them
that their recent 2 part series on the start of the first world war and the
background to it was a pile of cr*p.

Because that's not what the programme said.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Well maybe you want to write a letter or an email to the BBC to tell them
that their recent 2 part series on the start of the first world war and the
background to it was a pile of cr*p.

Because that's not what the programme said.

Either that or you weren't listening properly, or didn't understand what was being said. I can assure you that the first declaration of war was Austria on Serbia, and the first shots were fired by Austria on Serbia on July 29th. Germany did not declare war on France, for example, until August 3rd.

I suspect you may be confusing the terms "declared war", "attacked", and " invaded". They all mean different things.

I suggest you Google First World War chronology or timeline and see what you find.

MarioOrlandi

Jun 4, 2013
Talking twaddle, Serbia was part of the Austrian-Hungarian Empire, the Serbs had a pact with Russia. Russia and France worried about the rise of Germany in central Europe made a pact some years before. Now for some Godforsaken reason we had made a treaty with our long standing enemy the French prior to the Crimean War.
So the murder of the Arch Duke was a statement that Serbia wanted independence and when the Austro-Hungarian Empire retaliated the Serbs called on Russia for help who duly obliged, and when the Germans entered the fray in support of their allies the Austrians, the French joined in to help the Russians hence our involvement.
It is worth noting that through Queen Victoria and Prince Albert all of the Royal Houses of Europe were related.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Talking twaddle, Serbia was part of the Austrian-Hungarian Empire, the Serbs had a pact with Russia. Russia and France worried about the rise of Germany in central Europe made a pact some years before. Now for some Godforsaken reason we had made a treaty with our long standing enemy the French prior to the Crimean War.
So the murder of the Arch Duke was a statement that Serbia wanted independence and when the Austro-Hungarian Empire retaliated the Serbs called on Russia for help who duly obliged, and when the Germans entered the fray in support of their allies the Austrians, the French joined in to help the Russians hence our involvement.
It is worth noting that through Queen Victoria and Prince Albert all of the Royal Houses of Europe were related.

Is there anyone on this thread who knows anything about the subject, apart from myself of course?

You are now confusing Serbia with Bosnia. Serbia was not part of Austria-Hungary. For Gods sake, people.

bernster

Sep 5, 2012
ye olde east sussex
:
:facepalm:do some basic research before you post

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
The war would have happened anyway. The assassination just gave Austria the excuse she needed to attack Serbia.

I tend to agree,let's take the advances in the industrial world....Battleships were getting bigger,flight was now a reality and with all the progress and mankind's tendency to want and take more,the tools of destruction were now available to the nations to use..

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I went to The Keep earlier in the week to look at the local papers of the time. The piece I wrote is here.

http://brightonlines.wordpress.com/...-out-war-and-an-albion-win-at-crystal-palace/

It's quite an experience looking at the journals of the time. Sometimes the contrast in social attitudes stand out, but on other occasions it becomes clear that there were quite a few similarities. One of the things that does stand out the most, and probably the most notable difference, is the hierarchical nature of societies structure-in particular attitudes towards women. That said, journalists at the time would have come from the upper middle classes so it's not surprising that such attitudes were re-enforced.

The war itself throughout 1914 was reported in a very triumphal way, and with people having this form of media as there chief outlet of knowledge there would have still been the belief that it was to be a quicker affair. I look forward to returning to research the local papers of two years later to see how things changed.

The Keep, which contains all sorts of historical resources is near the AMEX, for those who want to visit.

http://www.thekeep.info/

MarioOrlandi

Jun 4, 2013
Is there anyone on this thread who knows anything about the subject, apart from myself of course?

You are now confusing Serbia with Bosnia. Serbia was not part of Austria-Hungary. For Gods sake, people.
Yep, I stand corrected regarding Serbia being part of the Austria-Hungary Empire

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Well, as i remember it

Germany, Austria and Italy are standing together in the middle of a pub when Serbia bumps into Austria and spills Austria’s pint.

Austria demands Serbia buy it a whole new suit because of the new beer stains on its trouser leg.

Germany expresses its support for Austria’s point of view.

Britain recommends that everyone calm down a bit.

Serbia points out that it can’t afford a whole suit, but offers to pay for the cleaning of Austria’s trousers.

Russia and Serbia look at Austria.

Austria asks Serbia who it’s looking at.

Russia suggests that Austria should leave its little brother alone.

Austria inquires as to whose army will assist Russia in doing so.

Germany appeals to Britain that France has been looking at it, and that its sufficiently out of order that Britain not intervene.

Britain replies that France can look at who it wants to, that Britain is looking at Germany too, and what is Germany going to do about it?

Germany tells Russia to stop looking at Austria, or Germany will render Russia incapable of such action anymore.

Britain and France ask Germany whether it’s looking at Belgium.

Turkey and Germany go off into a corner and whisper. When they come back, Turkey makes a show of not looking at anyone.

Germany rolls up its sleeves, looks at France, and punches Belgium.

France and Britain punch Germany. Austria punches Russia. Germany punches Britain and France with one hand and Russia with the other.

Russia throws a punch at Germany, but misses and nearly falls over. Japan calls over from the other side of the room that it’s on Britain’s side, but stays there. Italy surprises everyone by punching Austria.

Australia punches Turkey, and gets punched back. There are no hard feelings because Britain made Australia do it.

France gets thrown through a plate glass window, but gets back up and carries on fighting. Russia gets thrown through another one, gets knocked out, suffers brain damage, and wakes up with a complete personality change.

Italy throws a punch at Austria and misses, but Austria falls over anyway. Italy raises both fists in the air and runs round the room chanting.

America waits till Germany is about to fall over from sustained punching from Britain and France, then walks over and smashes it with a barstool, then pretends it won the fight all by itself.

By now all the chairs are broken and the big mirror over the bar is shattered. Britain, France and America agree that Germany threw the first punch, so the whole thing is Germany’s fault . While Germany is still unconscious, they go through its pockets, steal its wallet, and buy drinks for all their friends.

MarioOrlandi

Jun 4, 2013
Well, as i remember it

Germany, Austria and Italy are standing together in the middle of a pub when Serbia bumps into Austria and spills Austria’s pint.

Austria demands Serbia buy it a whole new suit because of the new beer stains on its trouser leg.

Germany expresses its support for Austria’s point of view.

Britain recommends that everyone calm down a bit.

Serbia points out that it can’t afford a whole suit, but offers to pay for the cleaning of Austria’s trousers.

Russia and Serbia look at Austria.

Austria asks Serbia who it’s looking at.

Russia suggests that Austria should leave its little brother alone.

Austria inquires as to whose army will assist Russia in doing so.

Germany appeals to Britain that France has been looking at it, and that its sufficiently out of order that Britain not intervene.

Britain replies that France can look at who it wants to, that Britain is looking at Germany too, and what is Germany going to do about it?

Germany tells Russia to stop looking at Austria, or Germany will render Russia incapable of such action anymore.

Britain and France ask Germany whether it’s looking at Belgium.

Turkey and Germany go off into a corner and whisper. When they come back, Turkey makes a show of not looking at anyone.

Germany rolls up its sleeves, looks at France, and punches Belgium.

France and Britain punch Germany. Austria punches Russia. Germany punches Britain and France with one hand and Russia with the other.

Russia throws a punch at Germany, but misses and nearly falls over. Japan calls over from the other side of the room that it’s on Britain’s side, but stays there. Italy surprises everyone by punching Austria.

Australia punches Turkey, and gets punched back. There are no hard feelings because Britain made Australia do it.

France gets thrown through a plate glass window, but gets back up and carries on fighting. Russia gets thrown through another one, gets knocked out, suffers brain damage, and wakes up with a complete personality change.

Italy throws a punch at Austria and misses, but Austria falls over anyway. Italy raises both fists in the air and runs round the room chanting.

America waits till Germany is about to fall over from sustained punching from Britain and France, then walks over and smashes it with a barstool, then pretends it won the fight all by itself.

By now all the chairs are broken and the big mirror over the bar is shattered. Britain, France and America agree that Germany threw the first punch, so the whole thing is Germany’s fault . While Germany is still unconscious, they go through its pockets, steal its wallet, and buy drinks for all their friends.
Kin brill pmsl

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here