Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Overfishing

DNB_Seagull

Dirty Northerner. For now
Apr 27, 2014
It is the commercial fishing that makes up for most of it. I think we just need tighter regulations.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Net sizing would be a better plan. The quota and throw back laws are just crazy.

I do my bit for this by actively not eating fish because I don't like it. If there is ever an issue with over exploitation of battered sausages I will have problems.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
The price of cod in the chip shop is rocketing so I guess it is a rare commodity or just a rip off, probably both.
Cod numbers have been increasing in the last few years due to 2 or 3 colder winters which help with spawning. What is really galling is to see dead cod being thrown back as boats enter port as the quota has already been fulfilled.

The rules need changing to an overall fish quota, not individual species. That way fishermen will switch their attention when a species becomes uneconomic to chase thus allowing numbers to recover.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What is really galling is to see dead cod being thrown back as boats enter port as the quota has already been fulfilled.
Easy to fix that. The ports should just keep a note on how much they go over each day, and then as soon as the fisherman have gone over their quota by the equivalent of one day, they get a day off. So they end up with the same amount of fish, but none are wasted and the fisherman get a day off.

tomfitz12

CTRL+W to change this
Nov 25, 2012
southwick
commercial fishing is an issue, but I really resent people saying recreational fishing is another issue. even if you were to go fishing every day for a year then there is a very small chance you would land 2000 fish. commercials on the other hand take this in one net.

but yes ofcourse its a problem

Chris45

Jul 29, 2010
I fished Shoreham arm from 8pm to 8am last Sunday eve, should have quit about 5am and was knackered Monday, so yes definitely a problem for me.:fishing::

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Easy to fix that. The ports should just keep a note on how much they go over each day, and then as soon as the fisherman have gone over their quota by the equivalent of one day, they get a day off. So they end up with the same amount of fish, but none are wasted and the fisherman get a day off.
Fisherman CAN target an individual species by using specific nets and methods, they are unable to choose which fish they actually catch. I don't think the fishermen should be penalised for the inneficiencies of the quota system, it should just be changed.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Fisherman CAN target an individual species by using specific nets and methods, they are unable to choose which fish they actually catch. I don't think the fishermen should be penalised for the inneficiencies of the quota system, it should just be changed.
Yes I agree it should be changed. It should be possible to go a bit over on one species if they go the right amount under on another. It's not rocket science.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I fished Shoreham arm from 8pm to 8am last Sunday eve, should have quit about 5am and was knackered Monday, so yes definitely a problem for me.:fishing::

Lug and squid ?

Chris45

Jul 29, 2010
Yep had those but caught Starry Smoothhound & Flounder on Maddies, then two Rays on freshly caught Mackeral. nothing big enough for a good meal so they went back.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here