Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Club 24 (formerly Club New York/The Church) has closed. AGAIN

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
So what was recently relaunched as Brighton's new home of underground dance, has suddenly and mysteriously closed down. AGAIN.

Went down for the launch night they put on with Code South and despite the place being pretty ****ing dirty I LOVED it. Banging tunes and a good crowd. Thought it had good potential.

But like the H Bar before it, that's another venue catering to us serious house heads that has just gone. I don't get it. The shitty West Street and sea front clubs survive catering to morons but the dedicated clubs for proper underground dance fans never seem to stick it out.

What that all about?

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
It's a sign of the times. We live in the X Factor five minute attention span era. Even what was Sherrys in the 70's is derelict now. You can't just magic up soul in a place, pun intended. These whizzo entrepreneurs think they can fit out a venue, have a Grand Opening, then the crowds will flock there ad infinitum. What has actually been created is a 'culture of consuming the new', with people moving onto the next new thing happening, a sort of self-perpetuating paradigm flux...

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
It's a sign of the times. We live in the X Factor five minute attention span era. Even what was Sherrys in the 70's is derelict now. You can't just magic up soul in a place, pun intended. These whizzo entrepreneurs think they can fit out a venue, have a Grand Opening, then the crowds will flock there ad infinitum. What has actually been created is a 'culture of consuming the new', with people moving onto the next new thing happening, a sort of self-perpetuating paradigm flux...

A Paradox?

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
When I was at school, a long time ago, some of the lads would brag about pulling foriegn students there, and taking them over the road to the church graveyard for some rumpy pumpy :lolol:

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
During the noughties i used to love going clubbing and getting off my face a few times a week at the zap, honey club, escape, concorde etc. What has happened to the Brighton clubbing scene? Is it the impact of the economic downturn or have these places just been bought out by towny loving JCL's?

I was back in Brighton recently and heard that that handjob Mark Wright was headlining a night down at this Shiiiittshoo place :shootself

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
Owned by an Albanian guy who had a club in Croydon. Bought Honey Club but immediately in trouble with licensing people after a squash on NYE. The license is very much up for review hence why they bought Digital I guess. Meanwhile the Croydon club was sold.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Shoooosh is what was the Honey Club. Stupid name.

I agree Audio is about the only serious dance music venue we have left. And as much as they know what they're doing I've never really warmed to the place as it's just not that well set out. All a bit cramped. Although the same could be said of many Brighton clubs in fairness.

The Volks certainly caters to a more "underground" crowd, but it's really not my scene. You'll not find any house at Volks

Randsta

Aug 8, 2011
Eastbourne
Shoooosh is what was the Honey Club. Stupid name.

I agree Audio is about the only serious dance music venue we have left. And as much as they know what they're doing I've never really warmed to the place as it's just not that well set out. All a bit cramped. Although the same could be said of many Brighton clubs in fairness.

The Volks certainly caters to a more "underground" crowd, but it's really not my scene. You'll not find any house at Volks

Agreed but if you want house Audio is the place to go or if your serious go to London far better clubs there

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here