Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Copyright question re Facebook / Film

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
OK so in this horror movie I am currently making (www.thehallowedmovie.com) we need to show close ups of a couple of Facebook profiles. These wont be real persons profiles just mocked up ones for the characters in the film.

Would Facebook be able to pull us up on showing their website on screen without permission?

Any advice welcome.

Cheers!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Facebook - so very 2010.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Would Facebook be able to pull us up on showing their website on screen without permission?

Any advice welcome.

Cheers!

Not quite my field of expertise, but my immediate thought would be "Yes, yes they can. Not only can they; they will". Don't do it without checking with them or an IP lawyer first.

Seriously, though ... what commercial value does a mock-up of a Facebook profile page have to the owners of the copyright? Absolutely nothing, I would have thought, if its use in a movie is simply as an image. It's not as though the image could be used to set up an alternative service that could rival the existing one.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
If the characters in the movie drove a Ford Mondeo, would the Ford Motor Company be able to claim a payment for a breach of their image rights?

This is an interesting one on where do you draw the line. Do you need permission from the maker of EVERY piece of clothing worn for instance... no.

So Clothes - fine
Mondeo - fine
Facebook on a computer screen - no chance.

Strange.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
OK so in this horror movie I am currently making (www.thehallowedmovie.com) we need to show close ups of a couple of Facebook profiles. These wont be real persons profiles just mocked up ones for the characters in the film.

Any advice welcome.

Cheers!

just watched the trailer, looks alright- do the girls get naked in it? in which case i'll keep an eye on it...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
we need to show close ups of a couple of Facebook profiles. These wont be real persons profiles just mocked up ones for the characters in the film.

Well you're not actually using their website, you're doing a mockup of it.

You should join a movie or photography forum and ask there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here