Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just a thought re new signings

bobzam

Brighton 'til I die
Aug 13, 2008
Bristol
Signings always come out, usually before the club makes any formal announcement. We are being extremely slow this year, you'd think Burke would have his dream list drawn up long before Sami was appointed. Moses O from Leytin Orient looks like one of the most promising players outside of the Premier League, apparently a target but it's brentford stealing a march. Watford are building a cracking team for next year as are plenty of clubs, even Rotherham are getting some decent players in. Getting a little nervous now....

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Could it be that no signings are being announced until the new kit is released?

You would not want a new signing wearing the previous shirt in the publicity pics but that should not delay any process. I would imagine there are plenty of negotiations going on between the club and agents, these because both parties have a lot of choice. Things will start to happen when we get nearer to the first game of the season. We need at least 8 players so hopefully the sooner the better.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Could it be that no signings are being announced until the new kit is released?

Not a pop at you as such, more a general comment, but what do people ACTUALLY want ?

Last season was a moanfest, that Burke had too much say on transfers and that the manager was being ignored. We have just appointed a new manager. If it takes that little bit longer to sign players, because he wants to make sure he has some input, why is that a bad thing ?

Similarly if we are getting "beaten" to players by Brentford, there are at least a couple of valid reasons, which go way beyond, FFP and us showing a lack of ambition.

1 The manager does not agree he is the sort of player we should be bringing in.
2 Brentford have a higher opinion of his value than we do. (Maybe a starting player rather than a squad player)

I have no idea, what any of this has to do with the new kit by the way and on a personal level I don't think I have ever been less interested in what this looks like.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Could be or It could be we are so broke we are going to use the youngsters and bring academy players through.

Or it could just be coincidence that we have just spent millions in Lancing and it hasn't always been the plan 'to use the youngsters and bring academy players through' ???

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Expect to see some movement after July 1st, key date with most player contracts normally expiring.

Many of the players released from Premier League clubs are contracted until that date and just as important is the fact many footballers and agents are normally sunning themselves away until that date when football commitments and pre season starts again.

No panic here, I have every confidence we will have 5-7 new faces before the Sheffield Wednesday game.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I reckon targets were identified a few weeks ago. Best though to have the new training comlex up and running to ensure we snare them. Question is though, do you take them to the training ground or the main stadium first? What is the best sequence to obtain maximum impact? Maybe a flypast for both followed by a Bentley drive over from Shoreham Airport to the Amex Stadium via the training complex. What a nice dilemma to have?

TNBA

TTF

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
We have plenty of midfielders and I am not expecting anybody new unless there are departures (whatever might be in the media)

Given we have CMS and Ulloa any striker we sign is very unlikely to start, so it not going to get the pulses racing. Maybe a decent prospect from League 1 or 2 who could make the grade and encourage the departure of Ulloa.

The main issue is defensive signings and if as suggested we are looking overseas I imagine those kind of deals take a good bit longer to put together than ones for a British players who will be settled in the country.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
If we forget what players have done for us in the past (most of whom have now gone) and remember the actually great work Oscar did last year bringing new people through from the DS, what big name new signings do we actually need (need, not want)? In what ways exactly are we weaker than last season? (Koosh was no better than Brez at the end - let's be honest). Not saying we're stronger, but we're not worse off in terms of players who can actually turn up on the pitch. And if Agustein stops being a t*ss*r we effectively have a new signing. As Ferguson always asked - is there any value in the market, better than we've got?

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
If we forget what players have done for us in the past (most of whom have now gone) and remember the actually great work Oscar did last year bringing new people through from the DS, what big name new signings do we actually need (need, not want)? In what ways exactly are we weaker than last season? (Koosh was no better than Brez at the end - let's be honest). Not saying we're stronger, but we're not worse off in terms of players who can actually turn up on the pitch. And if Agustein stops being a t*ss*r we effectively have a new signing. As Ferguson always asked - is there any value in the market, better than we've got?

Central defender, left back and hopefully a goalkeeper. Anybody else we sign will likely be starting on the bench (assuming there are no departures)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here