Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
With:

the US having made the last 16,

Klinsmann having a contract until at least 2018 and also being pretty good at persuading dual citizenship players to choose the US to play for,

Beckham's influence at LA Galaxy having been pretty substantial and looking to be continuing,

and, critically, the sport having finally made the big time in terms of fandom (the US have sent more fans to Brazil than any other nation),

when, if ever, do we think the US will win the World Cup?

Poll to follow.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Related, sort of: when are China going to get into football? When they do, we're all going to struggle*.

(* or, if you're England, struggle even more)

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Related, sort of: when are China going to get into football? When they do, we're all going to struggle*.

(* or, if you're England, struggle even more)

Yes, if (shirley it has to be when?) they do, they'll be a massive threat - population should ensure that.

Hmmm... remind me, what's the population of Costa Rica again?

But, seriously, if you have a population of 1.4Bn and take it seriously, you'd think they'd do well.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
If Qatar goes ahead, the WC in 26 will be prob be in Europe I reckon the US with have a great chance of hosting 30 which I reckon they will be up there with the favourites and have a good chance of winning.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
If Qatar goes ahead, the WC in 26 will be prob be in Europe I reckon the US with have a great chance of hosting 30 which I reckon they will be up there with the favourites and have a good chance of winning.

Not sure if it'll go straight back to Europe after Russia 2018 and I think Uruguay are pencilled in for 2030 because it's the centenary.

It'll be interesting to see who actually bothers bidding for the next available world cups after the last farce/balls up/scandal of a bidding process. Bribing FIFA is getting rather steep these days and doesn't come with promises.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Hopefully not before we can train them in to using the proper terminology. Would agree that it'll be when the next host it though.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
They've already got the World Series under their belts, so it can't be long before they add the World Cup.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What's interesting is this must be one of the first time, Olympics aside, where the whole country is supporting their national side against other nations. All of their major sports are played entirely within their own borders.

That said, I mentioned this to an American friend who has really got into the World Cup this time round and she said it was no different to supporting the 49ers against the Packers. I guess in a country so vast, you are likely to be completely surrounded by people who follow the same local teams as you whereas here you do not have to travel far to be in an area where another team is predominant, yet at World Cup time club loyalties are largely discarded.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
My guess is that the USA will win the World Cup before England do. That said, neither will win for many years.

They are only about 3 places behind England in the rankings, that gap will no doubt get closer given their success and our failure at the WC. They may even end up ranked ahead of us soon.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Before the last world cup kicked off i emailed the bookies and asked them for the odds of USA winning the world cup before England win it again. They came back to me a few days latter with the odds of 4/1. Needless to say i didn't take the bet at those odds, as they would be more than that at every world cup anyway (even if they host the odds would be more than 4/1).

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
My guess is that the USA will win the World Cup before England do. That said, neither will win for many years.

They are only about 3 places behind England in the rankings, that gap will no doubt get closer given their success and our failure at the WC. They may even end up ranked ahead of us soon.

That's kind of what lay behind my OP. I agree. However, I think there's a decent chance that it won't be that long before they do ("that" measured in WC cycles, not years). I'm not convinced they'll have to wait until they next host it, for example. I reckon they could do it in 2022 (if it isn't held in the summer), but have plumped for 2026. We'll see, I guess. :shrug:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That's kind of what lay behind my OP. I agree. However, I think there's a decent chance that it won't be that long before they do ("that" measured in WC cycles, not years). I'm not convinced they'll have to wait until they next host it, for example. I reckon they could do it in 2022 (if it isn't held in the summer), but have plumped for 2026. We'll see, I guess. :shrug:

I'm offering no commitment to have NSC running then so you can bounce this thread. Just so you know...

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
I think they may struggle at CB and Goalkeeper positions as they are not a tall race. Apart from that they can run like the wind - I've seen Monkey & Water Margin

yeh but they have always produced some good basketball players who have been freaky tall

all they need to do is point one of the tall kids towards keeping and not basketball - 10 years or so in an enforced sporting environment, with the same srt of regime like the olympic divers, and he'll probably be world class and never make any errors

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here