Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

39 years of experience

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
And you couldn't get England to the last 16, however.....
Algeria
USA
Greece
Costa Rica
Colombia
Switzerland
Nigeria
....all managed it.
For them it wasn't an 'impossible' job.
They didn't have the 2nd highest paid manager at the competition though.

Please, please, please have the decency and professionalism to resign now Hodgson you complete fraud. (Yes I've had a beer!)

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Italy
Spain
Russia
Portugal

...they all failed to get through as well.

I'd sooner Roy took us to the Euros and had some sort of succession plan ready for the next World Cup.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
By the way, I'm not saying our performance in the last two games was acceptable.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
For a lot of those qualifiers playing international football is the biggest thing in their lives. That doesn't seem to apply to most of England's players. Team spirit counts for something.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Did anyone see Klinsman's post match interview? He's not American. That is what I want from an England manager. Not spin and bullshit from a man so out of his depth he has to resort to spin and bullshit.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Did anyone see Klinsman's post match interview? He's not American. That is what I want from an England manager. Not spin and bullshit from a man so out of his depth he has to resort to spin and bullshit.

If there was any way of getting Klinsmann in to take over, we should break the bank to do so.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Stop the England bashing.

Most European teams have struggled in Brazil. The only ones that haven't had piss easy groups.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
And you couldn't get England to the last 16, however.....
Algeria
USA
Greece
Costa Rica
Colombia
Switzerland
Nigeria
....all managed it.
For them it wasn't an 'impossible' job.
They didn't have the 2nd highest paid manager at the competition though.

Please, please, please have the decency and professionalism to resign now Hodgson you complete fraud. (Yes I've had a beer!)

Are you old enough to legally have a drink then?

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
If there was any way of getting Klinsmann in to take over, we should break the bank to do so.

If Jurgen Klinsmann had the choice of managing England or staying with the USA. I generally think he would stay with the USA. The US is a sport loving nation who have the infrastructure to excel in any sport when it choses. The bad news for the rest of the world is that THe US has finally fell in love with football ( soccerball ) Klinsman knows this and there is only one way they will go! England on the other hand......who bloody knows!

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
So all those other teams had to play the likes of Italy and Uruguay in their first 2 games? Come on, we all know that ad we been in some of the other groups we would have done far better.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Roy Hodgson has been one of the luckiest England managers ever.
He took over just before the Euro's and was given a free pass, no pressure, no expectation. Lovely. In the following two years and building up to this tournament, the press and fans gave him another easy ride. Team in transition, youngsters being bloodied, lowering of expectation. Lovely. The man has had an armchair ride and that is part of the problem. Its all been a bit too nice, a bit too friendly, a bit too..." oh well, we had a go, did our best and what do you expect in a tough group etc "
The bite isn't there. The intensity isn't there. The demand isn't there and when the FA announced that he has another two years then you know that Roy's smooth and friendly show will roll on and won't cause any ripples.
To put it bluntly, these promising youngsters in the England squad need shaking up. They need to understand that at that level it is unacceptable to be miscontrolling and giving the ball away regularly. They need to become sharper and come out from under the apron strings of all their foreign colleagues in the PL, who can cover up for their mistakes.
In essence, if England are to succeed, they need one of the best coaches in the World. Hodgson is a solid journeyman and a safety first candidate but he won't carry England to any great heights. That little bit of class and magic is missing. That ability to inspire and lead younger players and ultimately earn their respect isn't there. He is more like a benevolent uncle to them, handing out sweets to them when they haven't really earned them. A soft touch.
I'm not convinced that this was the toughest of groups. Italy are already out and Uruguay are fairly ordinary. That powerhouse nation Costa Rica won the group comfortably and when they were coasting against us, we still couldn't beat them. To listen to Roy, extolling the virtues of a 0-0 draw, you would have thought that we had gone through. It was the soundbite of a limited man, clutching at straws.
I know we've got him for the next two years and to me, it feels like we are just treading water again. There will be a moderate performance at the Euro's and then we start all over again, looking for a new man, who then only has two years to put it right. If a team doesn't perform up to its potential, then the manager should go. IMHO England have underperformed at this World Cup.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012

Most European teams have struggled in Brazil. The only ones that haven't had piss easy groups.
You mean actually support the team/manager in times of perceived hardship? Not really a trait that shows through all that strongly on NSC usually.

I'd be happier with Roy in charge than not. He's shown more tactical flexibility than he's given credit for (he abandoned 442, which is monumental for an England team) and clearly has some level of ability at using it (the Ukraine qualifier for one example, dull as anything but did what was needed with no drama). Add in to that his willingness to finally get rid of some of the veterans, and I think he deserves a crack at the next tournament, where he'll presumably have the youngsters in the starting roles.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

England bashing is acceptable I think.

USA have performed better than England in this World Cup, yes USA. :rant:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Italy
Spain
Russia
Portugal

...they all failed to get through as well.

I'd sooner Roy took us to the Euros and had some sort of succession plan ready for the next World Cup.

Hodgson earns £3million a year or something like that and in the absence of an obvious successor they will let him continue pro-tem.
I do wonder how motivated he will be after such humiliation and quite frankly,in an ideal situation,he should go now and count his compensation.
Reckon he and the England squad have got away very lightly in terms of flack from the press and public.
Hark;is that a quiet chuckle I can hear from a certain gentleman residing down in Sandbanks?
I wonder if we would have done any better under Harry;I would say,probably.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
He took over just before the Euro's and was given a free pass, no pressure, no expectation. Lovely. In the following two years and building up to this tournament, the press and fans gave him another easy ride. Team in transition, youngsters being bloodied, lowering of expectation. Lovely. The man has had an armchair ride and that is part of the problem. Its all been a bit too nice, a bit too friendly, a bit too..." oh well, we had a go, did our best and what do you expect in a tough group etc "
The bite isn't there. The intensity isn't there. The demand isn't there and when the FA announced that he has another two years then you know that Roy's smooth and friendly show will roll on and won't cause any ripples.
To put it bluntly, these promising youngsters in the England squad need shaking up. They need to understand that at that level it is unacceptable to be miscontrolling and giving the ball away regularly. They need to become sharper and come out from under the apron strings of all their foreign colleagues in the PL, who can cover up for their mistakes.
In essence, if England are to succeed, they need one of the best coaches in the World. Hodgson is a solid journeyman and a safety first candidate but he won't carry England to any great heights. That little bit of class and magic is missing. That ability to inspire and lead younger players and ultimately earn their respect isn't there. He is more like a benevolent uncle to them, handing out sweets to them when they haven't really earned them. A soft touch.
I'm not convinced that this was the toughest of groups. Italy are already out and Uruguay are fairly ordinary. That powerhouse nation Costa Rica won the group comfortably and when they were coasting against us, we still couldn't beat them. To listen to Roy, extolling the virtues of a 0-0 draw, you would have thought that we had gone through. It was the soundbite of a limited man, clutching at straws.
I know we've got him for the next two years and to me, it feels like we are just treading water again. There will be a moderate performance at the Euro's and then we start all over again, looking for a new man, who then only has two years to put it right. If a team doesn't perform up to its potential, then the manager should go. IMHO England have underperformed at this World Cup.

So which group was tougher and on what basis do you arrive at that conclusion? Based on rankings, we had two teams in our group ahead of us and Costa Rica, the supposedly weak team in the group were ranked 28 before the world cup! Total rankings for each group were

Group A, 97
Group B, 92
Group C, 89
Group D, 54
Group E, 82
Group F, 103
Group G, 56
Group H, 109

Now we know the rankings aren't an exact science but it does give an indication that supports we were in the toughest group.

Finally, who is the coach you would employ?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Hodgson earns £3million a year or something like that and in the absence of an obvious successor they will let him continue pro-tem.
I do wonder how motivated he will be after such humiliation and quite frankly,in an ideal situation,he should go now and count his compensation.
Reckon he and the England squad have got away very lightly in terms of flack from the press and public.
Hark;is that a quiet chuckle I can hear from a certain gentleman residing down in Sandbanks?
I wonder if we would have done any better under Harry;I would say,probably.

I think it would have been an absolute shambles under Harry.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

Agree with this. Hodgson has had two years to develop a competitive England team with a strong and effective playing identity, well motivated and committed to the shirt. He has failed.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
USA have performed better than England in this World Cup, yes USA. :rant:

What's worrying is that many teams have consistently performed better than us regardless of results. Algeria have been surprising, Australia were eye catching and played some lovely stuff despite being done over in all three games, Colombia look fantastic, Costa Rica, Mexico and so on. Not just the USA. All of those nations are teams that we would imagine England should be beating but on the evidence at this tournament I am not sure we would have had the guile to win a match against any one of them.

Sad times. However, after this it's reasonable to hope there may be better times ahead. Short of failing to qualify for major tournaments things can't get far worse.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
England are only at the start of the rebuilding process. Truth is we were NOT terrible in this tournament. We have played worse and muddled through to the knockout stages before. I fail to see how this team can be worse than the one that turned up in 2010. We do however have a young and inexperienced side, this inexperience is not only at international level, but champs league level too. We competed in each game but sadly lacked Pirlo or a Suarez to get a result in the first two games. England's problems are rooted in the players and their own technical ability, not the manager who has a relatively poor set of players to work with.

If we can show some PATIENCE I think we can build this team up over the next couple of years, but it will not happen overnight. In my view this is the first England team worth backing in a long while, and I am glad that I actually give a sh*t for a change. We are not world beaters, so when we do not beat the world I'm not disappointed. I'm looking forward to seeing how we progress now, and even more so I am looking forward to seeing how this tournament pans out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here