Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Playing golf in a lightning storm - steel or graphite clubs

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Best man at a wedding tomorrow and I am going to play a quick 18 holes at Tavistock with the groom and his brother.
Outside chance of thunder and lightning storms in the morning.
I have 2 sets of clubs steel and graphite but I have know idea which is the worst conductor.
Obviously if it starts we will run for the hills but if a rouge bolt takes us by surprise i want to avoid getting zapped.
The groom is quite keen not to be struck on his wedding day as well.
Any help could save our lives.
Thank you.
PS we will not be cancelling the game, golf is golf and has to be done.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Just stand under the tallest tree on the course to take shelter......job done!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I would suggest a pair of stout rubber wellies and, if you are not already wearing them, rubber underpants.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Steel is a 'better' conductor than Graphite. So don't use steel.

Haven't you got any wooden clubs? Plastic?

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
take out your 2 iron then go and stand in the rough with the club above your head

not even God can hit a 2 iron out of the rough

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
The great Supermex, the golfer Lee Trevion, after he was hit by lightning. was once asked what he would do from now on if there was lightning during a round. He said "I'd hold a 1-iron over my head. Not even God can hit a 1-iron."

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
stone45.jpg

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Best man at a wedding tomorrow and I am going to play a quick 18 holes at Tavistock.
Obviously if it starts we will run for the hills but if a rouge bolt takes us by surprise i want to avoid getting zapped.
The groom is quite keen not to be struck on his wedding day as well.

Give it 5 years and a couple of kids and he'll wish he had. :)

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Best man at a wedding tomorrow and I am going to play a quick 18 holes at Tavistock with the groom and his brother.
Outside chance of thunder and lightning storms in the morning.
I have 2 sets of clubs steel and graphite but I have know idea which is the worst conductor.
The groom is quite keen not to be struck on his wedding day as well

I thought a robust leather whipping against the bridal suite bed was part of what makes the day one to remember

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Whilst I agree that golf is golf and has to be done, lightning is the only thing that really should be avoided - having been on a golf course here when a storm has struck, I can safely say that nothing you can do will help. Head to the bar, wait for it to pass, then go back out there.

Oh, and graphite shafted irons: :safeway:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Isn't it normally a rule of most courses that play is to be suspended in an electrical storm?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here