Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Adam El-Abd

Jun 26, 2014
Whilst I am on here, I thought it would be best to get your thoughts.

I am sure some of you are aware that Adam El-Abd has not made the best of starts to his Bristol City career, infact; far from it.

He looks shaky and nervous, and was a liability. The thing was, that he isn't quick, and he isn't tall, so what does he bring to the side?

I'm not writing him off yet, like I have said to many other of our fans, he did not get in your starting 11 for years and years for no reason, he must have something about him. I believe that if he has a good pre-season, he will re-find form that he had whilst playing for you.

Just wanted to know how you guys rate him?

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
When he left us I was genuinely quite upset. He was never the fastest or the most skilled but he gave %110 every game. You have to remember he spent his entire career at Brighton so moving to a new club must be pretty difficult for him. I hope he comes good for you though. He certainly deserves a good end to his career.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
He was absolutely brilliant. He commanded the centre of defence. I find it difficult to understand how he has been so poor for you.

Having said that, loads of Albion fans used to moan at him for years. Until Gus reinvented him as a ball playing centre back.

I always loved him.

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
When we used to play high line he was out of his depth. Easily done over the top as he lacks pace and should never be played at full back.

Once we started playing the ball out from the back he showed he was actually a reasonable footballer as a CB. I think the thing that endeared him to most BHA fans though was his loyalty and spirit in fighting for the cause. A local boy who cares and always put himself on the line.

Gutted when he left and would like him back if you guys don't want him. A reliable squad player who bleeds blue & white.

Jun 26, 2014
I am willing to give him time, unlike some of our other idiotic fans.

A first move, may well take time for him to settle in. You don't lose quality over night, with a good pre-season, I fancy him to be starting the first game on Sky away at Sheffield United on the first day.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
In recent years he has played in well organised defensive set ups and in teams that liked to control possession. He was rarely exposed and liked to get under the skin of opposing forwards. In one particular game with Southampton he clashed with Lambert who was sent off and we went on to win the game.

I anticipated he would soon be a benchwarmer for you and it seems that may well come true.

Jun 26, 2014
That is part of the problem, the defence were to exposed by the lack of backtrackers in midfield.

With the signings Cotterill has made, hopefully it conquers that.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
El-Abd's strengths lie in having decent ball playing defenders and midfielders around him.

That's not to say that they cover his shortcomings - that's not the case at all. It means that when the team is running well, and performing properly, he fits in very nicely and contributes a lot. Any defence would be exposed by midfielders not backtracking.

Interesting he gets the blame for that.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Whilst I am on here, I thought it would be best to get your thoughts.

I am sure some of you are aware that Adam El-Abd has not made the best of starts to his Bristol City career, infact; far from it.

He looks shaky and nervous, and was a liability. The thing was, that he isn't quick, and he isn't tall, so what does he bring to the side?

I'm not writing him off yet, like I have said to many other of our fans, he did not get in your starting 11 for years and years for no reason, he must have something about him. I believe that if he has a good pre-season, he will re-find form that he had whilst playing for you.

Just wanted to know how you guys rate him?

Am i righnt in thinking you played used a system other than 4 at the back? (sure i heard someone say you played with 3 CB's) - If so, it's a formation he wouldn't have played in very often (if at all.)

He is also used to playing in a side which passes the ball fairly well and plays possession football and isn't afraid to pass it around the defence, trying to draw the opposition out and leave space for the forwards to attack. If you were hoofing the ball forward, this again would be something he wouldn't have been used to (anymore)

Hopefully a full pre-season with you and a chance at getting used to the style of play that you wish to use down there will work wonders for him and he can show what he can do.

Edit - just seen that you werre indeed playing with 3 at the back as i had heard.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
An absolute rock, should be immense in League One.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He was unpopular with some of our fans, especially under Micky Adams during his second spell here. He looked clueless and backed off time and again, and looked awful.

Then Gus turned up, and within a dozen games he announced he was the best defender at the club, which was bemusing to almost everyone. But the funny thing is, the next season and a half, AEA set about proving it. The season we ran away with the league, he really was absolute class. Gus Poyet had been spot on.

Football is a team game, so maybe El Abd needs certain types of players to really play well?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
He is missing Greer and, more importantly, Bridcutt.

Jun 26, 2014
El-Abd's strengths lie in having decent ball playing defenders and midfielders around him.

That's not to say that they cover his shortcomings - that's not the case at all. It means that when the team is running well, and performing properly, he fits in very nicely and contributes a lot. Any defence would be exposed by midfielders not backtracking.

Interesting he gets the blame for that.

I agree with this to an extent.

Some people are very short sighted in football, and cannot see where the problems really lie. I could see it was from exposure from the midfield, but brainless people could not see this, and blamed Adam. This didn't help his confidence, and the problems started from there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here