• Total voters

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Final Group

Yoda

English & European
There seems to have been some BIG bands left out of this competition (Thin Lizzy, Status Quo, Foo Fighters…), and some very dubious ones where ‘Rock’ is concerned (e.g. Coldplay).

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Rock and Roll World Cup, and you dont include Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band. Total waste of time. I'm out.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Has been a list of variable quality crodo, but thanks for doing, if that isn't damning with faint praise.

Has to be The Clash for me

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm more into Country Rock than Rock these days so the Eagles walk this.

But don't underestimate the power of the Mod tribute band in this group :wink:

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Genesis: prog era - too long-winded. I once sat through Supper's Ready twice. Never again. But I suspect they have fanatical support. Post prog: no thanks - soundtrack for City workers who wear sunglasses and sling a jacket over their shoulder. The Jam: lots of classics, easy to vote these crowdpleasers in. The Clash: experimental, variable quality, but admirable and credible. The Eagles: I don't think I've ever heard any Eagles, apart from Hotel California, which seemed a bit lacklustre. I think I'll go with The Jam.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
No Queens of the Stoneage. Best rock band in the world by a country mile right now. Oh well.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Love Genesis' stuff from 1972-1982 or so, Tony Banks is a great songwriter - they got better after Gabriel left imo :)

edit: Should read the candidates before voting, missed that The Clash were there.

Last edited:

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Genesis: prog era - too long-winded. I once sat through Supper's Ready twice. Never again. But I suspect they have fanatical support. Post prog: no thanks - soundtrack for City workers who wear sunglasses and sling a jacket over their shoulder. The Jam: lots of classics, easy to vote these crowdpleasers in. The Clash: experimental, variable quality, but admirable and credible. The Eagles: I don't think I've ever heard any Eagles, apart from Hotel California, which seemed a bit lacklustre. I think I'll go with The Jam.

Thanks, can't see the nominations on Tapatalk but a mention of The Jam is enough for me, or does it not count as a text vote!?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I once sat through Supper's Ready twice. Never again.

What does that mean? They played it twice at the same gig? The song is 23 minutes long.

Or you went to two gigs where the song was played once?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
As much as I'm starting to really dislike Paul Weller I have to go for the Jam, for the reason that I played Going Underground when I was 13 DJing at a Youth Club,and it thrilled the hell out of me. I maybe followed it up with Strawberry Switchblade (which I found on 12" recently at Martletts).

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
What does that mean? They played it twice at the same gig? The song is 23 minutes long.

Or you went to two gigs where the song was played once?

A "friend" played it to me once, at his house, and then, when he'd finished it playing it, he played it to me again. Believe me, I KNOW it's 23 minutes long.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A "friend" played it to me once, at his house, and then, when he'd finished it playing it, he played it to me again. Believe me, I KNOW it's 23 minutes long.

Spare a thought for Neil Young fans when he did the Tonight's the Night tour

Neil’s plan was to play the album front to back in its entirety. He felt that the music was strong enough to stand on its own legs even though people were hearing it for the first time. Critics and audience members weren’t as receptive. They wanted a ‘greatest hits show’ but weren’t getting one. What was Neil’s plan to get people to pay attention and leave remembering the message? Well, here’s what he did! He would begin the show saying ‘I’m going to be playing new music. Please listen and have patience with it. Once you hear the full album, I promise to you that I’ll play songs that you’ve heard before.’ So, in classic Neil fashion, as soon as the album was done, he indeed did play something that they’ve heard before. He played the album again!!!!!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Spare a thought for Neil Young fans when he did the Tonight's the Night tour

Neil’s plan was to play the album front to back in its entirety. He felt that the music was strong enough to stand on its own legs even though people were hearing it for the first time. Critics and audience members weren’t as receptive. They wanted a ‘greatest hits show’ but weren’t getting one. What was Neil’s plan to get people to pay attention and leave remembering the message? Well, here’s what he did! He would begin the show saying ‘I’m going to be playing new music. Please listen and have patience with it. Once you hear the full album, I promise to you that I’ll play songs that you’ve heard before.’ So, in classic Neil fashion, as soon as the album was done, he indeed did play something that they’ve heard before. He played the album again!!!!!

What a treat! On Weld (let's not even start on Arc-Weld), it seems to me that the length of all the songs is stretched right out, and I find myself longing for the next song to start already. You have to be patient with artistry....

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
early Clash were great and still one of the best bands I've ever seen,but the Jam made so much good material it's very hard to vote against them

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Alles klaar.

I used to listen to Tommy Vance's Friday Night Rock Show in the early '80s and the highlight was the Top 10 Rock Tracks of All-Time as voted by listeners. c. 1980/81 Supper's Ready was No. 2 in that chart, second only to Stairway To Heaven (other songs included the lengthy "Awakening" by Yes, Whole Lotta Rosie, Smoke On The Water, Rush's "2112", Rainbow's Stargazer, Child In Time, Paranoid.)

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Alles klaar.

I used to listen to Tommy Vance's Friday Night Rock Show in the early '80s and the highlight was the Top 10 Rock Tracks of All-Time as voted by listeners. c. 1980/81 Supper's Ready was No. 2 in that chart, second only to Stairway To Heaven (other songs included the lengthy "Awakening" by Yes, Whole Lotta Rosie, Smoke On The Water, Rush's "2112", Rainbow's Stargazer, Child In Time, Paranoid.)

That's quite a lot to take in one go - about two hours to play 10 songs? I played a nine minute version of Torch by Soft Cell in the car the other weekend and my wife certainly didn't have the patience to go with it. However, lots of Prince's remixes from the 80s are very lengthy and extremely enjoyable. I suppose disliking prog rock brings its own concomitant problem - each track is not only going to seem to go on forever, but is highly likely to actually go on for ages....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here