Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We could start the season with:-

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I want a couple of (maybe even a few) big statement signings as much as anyone else, but in the meantime, I'd be well happy with us starting:-

Chicksen, Dunk, March, Ince, & JFC.
With Walton & Maksimenko on the bench.

Looking at that, based on last seasons form, England under 20's player of the tournament JFC could end up the weakest link.

That team won't let Tony/Sami/us down, what's not to love.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Am happy for them all to be key players but young inexperienced players are inconsistent so would be dangerous to solely rely on them.

Bolster out the squad and use them wisely.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Am happy for them all to be key players but young inexperienced players are inconsistent so would be dangerous to solely rely on them.

Bolster out the squad and use them wisely.
Oh absolutely I'm not saying it's the answer, but I'm am saying it wouldn't be the end of the world.

I assume its then Ank in goal? That back 5 would see us in a relegation battle by Xmas.
No not CA in goal, and even if he was Ank, Bruno, Greer, Dunk and Chicksen aren't relegation fodder.
We'll not be in the play-offs either, but that's not my point

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
You don't win anything with kids

The older guys on here will remember the club brought in a new manager called George Curtis (1961) and decided to go with youth in the same level as we are now, the result, we were virtually relegated by the end of January and relegated again the following season. The frightening thing is if tried today, we would have to wait until January to try to strengthen the team if in trouble, in those days transfers were allowed for the majority of the season.
I don't want to witness that again thank you.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
The older guys on here will remember the club brought in a new manager called George Curtis (1961) and decided to go with youth in the same level as we are now, the result, we were virtually relegated by the end of January and relegated again the following season. The frightening thing is if tried today, we would have to wait until January to try to strengthen the team if in trouble, in those days transfers were allowed for the majority of the season.

Why did he do that , did we lose a load of players pre season or something ?

Fans up in arms ?

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Why did he do that , did we lose a load of players pre season or something ?

Fans up in arms ?

George Curtis had a reputation for being good with youngsters and was coach at Sunderland before becoming our manager. I think the board decided it was a route they wanted to try with a disastrous result and the club ending up in division 4 and Curtis being sacked.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Bit of rewriting history there. Just checked that season and we didn't actually enter the relegation zone until 10 March, scarcely relegated by January. It wasn't a particularly youthful team either: regulars included Baker, Baxter, Bertolini, Burtenshaw. Goodchild, Laverick, Jennings, MacNeill, (Dave) Smith and Nicholas (signed that season for a club record fee) - all experienced players and all played more than 20 games, most played more than 30. Curtis did play a bunch of kids at the end of the season but we'd been relegated by then.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Oh absolutely I'm not saying it's the answer, but I'm am saying it wouldn't be the end of the world.

No not CA in goal, and even if he was Ank, Bruno, Greer, Dunk and Chicksen aren't relegation fodder.
We'll not be in the play-offs either, but that's not my point

The standard of teams in the championship next year is the highest it's been for years, I maintain that back 5 would see us in a relegation battle by Xmas.
Moot anyway as I believe we will sign players after July 1st.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Bit of rewriting history there. Just checked that season and we didn't actually enter the relegation zone until 10 March, scarcely relegated by January. It wasn't a particularly youthful team either: regulars included Baker, Baxter, Bertolini, Burtenshaw. Goodchild, Laverick, Jennings, MacNeill, (Dave) Smith and Nicholas (signed that season for a club record fee) - all experienced players and all played more than 20 games, most played more than 30. Curtis did play a bunch of kids at the end of the season but we'd been relegated by then.

This is no place for facts. Kindly move on and leave the rest of us to our dribbling incoherent misplaced derision of a manager from 53 years ago.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

I do bow to the obvious history you have to refer to and I must admit that I am posting from memory only. I remember him bringing in to the team some very poor youngsters like McGonigal, Jest, Cochrane, Sitford and Standing. He then got rid of Laverick, McNiell, Smith and Nicholas prior to the season back in the third division, which we were relegated from again, playing more younger players in that season.
I just seem to remember it was a policy the club had decided on the time, perhaps my old memory is failing me.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I do bow to the obvious history you have to refer to and I must admit that I am posting from memory only. I remember him bringing in to the team some very poor youngsters like McGonigal, Jest, Cochrane, Sitford and Standing. He then got rid of Laverick, McNiell, Smith and Nicholas prior to the season back in the third division, which we were relegated from again, playing more younger players in that season.
I just seem to remember it was a policy the club had decided on the time, perhaps my old memory is failing me.

Although I was alive then, it was slightly before my time - although I remember my dad ranting about Curtis as a manager: I got my info from Tim Carder's book, so it's not my fantastic memory!

Of the ones you mentioned, McGonigal didn't play at all, Standing played one game, while Jest and Cochrane played (both late in the season). Only Sitford played a reasonable number of games - he was 21. Young but not exactly a kid, in fact, 61-62 was his second season.

Tim's book doesn't talk about a youth policy but does say that money was particularly tight, so there could be a connection.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Although I was alive then, it was slightly before my time - although I remember my dad ranting about Curtis as a manager: I got my info from Tim Carder's book, so it's not my fantastic memory!

Of the ones you mentioned, McGonigal didn't play at all, Standing played one game, while Jest and Cochrane played (both late in the season). Only Sitford played a reasonable number of games - he was 21. Young but not exactly a kid, in fact, 61-62 was his second season.

Tim's book doesn't talk about a youth policy but does say that money was particularly tight, so there could be a connection.

I did attend the games back then and believe me he played players like McGonigal and Jest who would have been more suited to county league, I think it was the team that got us relegated to division 4 had more youngsters in. But Curtis did favour youth and had built his reputation on it as I remember.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here