Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How good or poor are English players really ?

fratsomrover

Oct 18, 2011
Hove
In England it is always expected that the national team will fly the flag at all these big global competitions and every year we are left annoyed and upset at our pitiful performance. We argue that England has the best football league in the world, therefore we are the best. But is this true ?
Is our league really better than La Liga or the Bundersleague. Not according to our recent record in The Champions League it isn't.
The fact is there are no successful teams with a majority of English players in it.
Most of the top English club sides have very few English players. Most of the top teams have a majority of overseas players. So where are the best English players playing ?
There are hundreds of overseas players playing in our Premiership, so I've been trying to think of any English players playing on the continent........ and I cant think of any. Bale is the only British player I could name and he's Welsh !!
So maybe we shouldn't be surprised that the National team fail so regularly.
English players are not only not good enough to succeed in these competitions, they are not even good enough to play in our own Premiership and they certainly do not seem good enough to attract offers from overseas teams.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Technically our players are hugely inferior just watch Argentina today and how they moved the ball first touch with such ease.

They are by no means terrible but our press talks about Rooney and Gerrard in the same breath as Toure, Ronaldo and van persie and the reality is they are miles adrift

Can't fault our commitment but quality counts at international level and we fall seriously short of that

Albion Rob

For me, the big problem is that we don't use space well enough. I firmly believe that even Chris Smalling can pass the ball 10 yards to another player. The problem is we play a ball then remain static. Look at Barcelona from a few years back - players without the ball were always on the move and creating angles. That's a major issue in my view.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
The ones coming through now - Stirling, Barkley, Shaw, OxladeC, have the potential to be Very good.
It is vital that for the next 2 to 4 years they receive the CORRECT type of coaching and enough playing time in systems that promote good football. So currently that would be at teams like Everton, Arsenal, Liverpool etc.

Grass roots and academies need sorting further but it's miles better today than it was 10 years ago. Hopefully these youngsters are the start of a cycle. It is clubs like BHA opening state of the art academies which are the future, just look at Soton.
It is the likes of Stoke and Wigan which need to look at themselves.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here