Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Down the Pan

beakyburn

Aug 15, 2012
The England football team and the England cricket team. And now Sussex CCC have come out in sympathy and decided to depress us even further. After a winning start to the season todays Argus headline is "Relegation fears grow for Sussex" Roll on the Amex in August. I need cheering up. RJH Brown now we know why Surrey let you come back!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What has happened since the 4-1 defeat at Derby to make you think the trend won't be continuing at the Amex? :lolol:

beakyburn

Aug 15, 2012
What has happened since the 4-1 defeat at Derby to make you think the trend won't be continuing at the Amex? :lolol:
Oh don't. Next I will be on the family tree to see if I can take duel nationality from a country doing ok!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Oh don't. Next I will be on the family tree to see if I can take duel nationality from a country doing ok!

yep
you might have some ancestors from
Scotland
Wales
Northern Ireland
oh hang on a minute that might just make matter worse:lolol:

chin up I am 67 and any England team had better get a ****ing move on otherwise I not likely to see any of them do well

well at least I was around in 1966 and I got to see the Albion play in our highest division

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You can add the English Rugby team to that list as well. What a life, eh? I'm English, and I support Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club and Sussex County Cricket club. This means I'm disappointed, depressed and bitterly disillusioned ALL YEAR ROUND!

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
You can add the English Rugby team to that list as well. ![/B]

I'm not having that, assuming you are talking about the union team? The only hope of any of the teams I support coming out top of the pile , over the next year, is the England rugby team in next year's world cup. I am feeling reasonably optimistic about this too. One bad defeat is acceptable when you are in the back yard of the best rugby team ever and we do have a year to go and will have home advantage.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm not having that, assuming you are talking about the union team? The only hope of any of the teams I support coming out top of the pile , over the next year, is the England rugby team in next year's world cup. I am feeling reasonably optimistic about this too. One bad defeat is acceptable when you are in the back yard of the best rugby team ever and we do have a year to go and will have home advantage.

We got battered by the All Blacks in the last test. And please, lets not pretend the RU are in any way a leading light in English sport. England has FAR more registered players than any other country in the world, yet we are persistently ranked between 4th and 7th (out of about 12 proper nations), and have ONE world cup win since the inaugural tournament in 1987 - not a great return considering South Africa were excluded until 1995.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
We got battered by the All Blacks in the last test. And please, lets not pretend the RU are in any way a leading light in English sport. England has FAR more registered players than any other country in the world, yet we are persistently ranked between 4th and 7th (out of about 12 proper nations), and have ONE world cup win since the inaugural tournament in 1987 - not a great return considering South Africa were excluded until 1995.
Three finals from seven though......and in the case of SA and NZ there is virtually no competition in winter sport, its eat sleep live rugby. Football is a marginal sport in NZ and is played almost exclusively by the black population in SA.....I think we do OK in a country where elite sportsmen ( on paper) are torn at a very early age having to pick one over the other.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

All true and even when we did win it the team was past it's best and not that impressive in the winning, but that was then and this is now. I am very optimistic for the future of Lancaster's team, he has done a magnificent job imo and we now have a bit of strength in depth too. We got battered in one game, we did pretty well in the others I thought.

I'm not going to give up on the rugby union side, time will tell if I got it wrong again.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
and in the case of SA and NZ there is virtually no competition in winter sport, its eat sleep live rugby. Football is a marginal sport in NZ and is played almost exclusively by the black population in SA.

Er, so the the 90% of South Africa who prefer football and don't care about rugby don't count then?

I'll give you NZ - the only country where RU is the national sport. But how come we consistently rank below Australia? Australia is a country that doesn't give a shit about rugby except in two states, and even in those two states RU is merely a game for posh public school types.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Er, so the the 90% of South Africa who prefer football and don't care about rugby don't count then?

Its played by very few ( comparatively) blacks and has always been that way,.... the white population virtually to a man play nothing else in the Winter ( some marginal hockey and football)..... so in essence its a bit like NZ yes, amongst the white population rugby is a religion.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Its played by very few ( comparatively) blacks and has always been that way,.... the white population virtually to a man play nothing else in the Winter ( some marginal hockey and football)..... so in essence its a bit like NZ yes, amongst the white population rugby is a religion.

Yes I know all that. But you said in SA there is virtually no competition to rugby - that's not the case for 90% of the population.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Yes I know all that. But you said in SA there is virtually no competition to rugby - that's not the case for 90% of the population.
....... I know what you are saying..... but the competition is simply within the silo of the white population,... thats 4.5 million,.... the other 80%-90% are only focussed on football, so there is no competition. Whatever the rights and wrongs of it, SA still exists as 3 nations within a nation,.... White 10%, Black 80% and the rest 10% ( ish).... rarely the twain shall meet,.... KZN will be better placed to comment though, I havnt lived there for some years.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
With Wales and Australia in a Group with England ,we could struggle to get out of it.Fear not though we'll beat a couple of nobodies 96 0.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here