Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stephen Ward - Albion unwilling to match salary

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
"But the 28-year-old’s chances of leaving Molineux for good are in the balance with Brighton unwilling to match the Ireland international’s £13,000-a-week salary at Wolves."
"The other potential stumbling block is the fee, and Wolves will almost certainly demand a modest six-figure return for their longest-serving outfield player, who has a year left on his contract."

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2014/06/25/stephen-ward-in-limbo-as-he-returns-to-wolves-training/

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I fully expect another club to step in and pay what Wolves require

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I don't think he should expect 13k per week anyway but I'd be surprised if we had an issue with paying a hundred grand or so.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
If he's after £13,000 a week then I agree with the club on this on. He's a very capable player, but I'm sure we can find comparable alternatives that work within in our wage structure. By that I mean we could possibly match his salary requirements if a transfer fee wasn't included on top of this cost,

Last edited:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
We were chatting about this at work yesterday. The Wolves fans recon that the club should just let him go for free, the local gossip is that the wages wouldn't be an issue if Wolves were willing to let him go for free. However, it seems according to the Wolverhampton gossip-mongers that Brighton (and some other clubs too), aren't willing to pay a fee for Ward on top of his wages. Especially given he isn't in Wolves plans.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I fully expect another club to step in and pay what Wolves require

Yes so do I. This is a crying shame in my opinion. Ok l agree that Stephen Ward isn't worth £13,000 per week, but then who is? Unfortunately in the money grabbing world that is football today, that's what these players get paid. If we wan't to compete, and l sincerely hope that we do, then we need to pay it.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
We were chatting about this at work yesterday. The Wolves fans recon that the club should just let him go for free, the local gossip is that the wages wouldn't be an issue if Wolves were willing to let him go for free. However, it seems according to the Wolverhampton gossip-mongers that Brighton (and some other clubs too), aren't willing to pay a fee for Ward on top of his wages. Especially given he isn't in Wolves plans.

If Wolves want him out, they will have to lower their demands. We are playing hardball and I think they will give in.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Yes so do I. This is a crying shame in my opinion. Ok l agree that Stephen Ward isn't worth £13,000 per week, but then who is? Unfortunately in the money grabbing world that is football today, that's what these players get paid. If we wan't to compete, and l sincerely hope that we do, then we need to pay it.

Which basically means, and there is no other way to look at it, that if a club is prepared to pay him it, then he is worth it. If no-one pays him £13K a week, then he isn't worth it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Kenny Jackett certainly wants Ward and the other loan players from last season out. How harsh is this??

""The Molineux head coach is keen to keep his League One champions separate to the players he wants out""

So the stumbling block is that we paid 10k last year, with Wolves picking up the extra 3k, and Ward wants 13k? I'm inclined to tell him to do one if that is the case and he isn't willing to drop his wage demands from what he earned as a Premier League player. I'm with the club on this and I really rated Ward. Shame, hope we can sort it.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
I know we're a bit tight but yeah, that's too much to pay someone of his calibre and I rated him too.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Kenny jacket certainly wants Ward and the other laon players from last season out. How harsh is this??

The Molineux head coach is keen to keep his League One champions separate to the players he wants out

It was the same last season, O'Hara, Ward and others had to train separately until they were offloaded. He didn't want the players associated with the double relegation upsetting the rest of the squad.

Wolves are back in pre-season today. It will be interesting to see if Ward is there.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Which basically means, and there is no other way to look at it, that if a club is prepared to pay him it, then he is worth it. If no-one pays him £13K a week, then he isn't worth it.

Well isn't that pretty much the way football works these days? As another poster says, l bet your bottom dollar that some money rich club will offer him it iif we aren't prepared to.

It's all down to how much we need him, and l think that Stephen Ward, Leo Ulloa apart, is our most pivotal player, and l don't think we can afford to miss out on him.

No of course he isn't worth £13,000 per week, but then no player is worth anything like the salaries they 'earn'.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
If he really wants to come here then he can force Wolves' hand by declining to speak to other clubs who offer money to Wolves for him. Like I said previously, wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with him on loan again this year, then sign him permanently when he's free next summer.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Sadly, I think wages in football have moved on more than some of us realise, and £13k per week may seem like a vast wage, but I think that probably what you need to spend for a player of his pedigree.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
13K a week is £676K a year. This in turn equates to 1500 X £450 season tickets.

You can see the clubs issues but then someone with parachute payments or a PL club will pay it. Caught between the devil and the deep blue sea.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Sadly, I think wages in football have moved on more than some of us realise, and £13k per week may seem like a vast wage, but I think that probably what you need to spend for a player of his pedigree.

I imagine it would make him close to our most highly paid player, the club would have to be very confident that he's the right man for the job.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
People keep talking about his wage "demands", but if he's already on £13k, they're not really "demands" are they? He's already guaranteed to be paid that for the next year, so he's hardly going to take a lower wage than that... Or am I missing something?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here