Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Cyprus SIM Cards-Best Deals Anybody?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Not been back to Southern Cyprus for a few years so out of touch with mobile pricing there. I'm looking for a good deal for a local SIM Card, main use will be for Data. Hotel want silly money for Wi-Fi so looking for cheap mobile alternative.

Thanks.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Most odd as pretty much everywhere I ever go in CY has free WiFi, they even print the code/key on the menus in many instances. Anyway, just spoke to my brother (who lives in Larnaca) and he suggests MTN PAYG, You can't get a PAYG sim with unlimited data.

Hope that helps.

Cypriot-Seagull

Jul 15, 2011
Somewhere in Cyprus
Your best bet would be to get a pay as you go sim. MTN is one of the main companies on the island and they offer good packages. Also you can pick up one of their cards at any periptero (newsagents /kiosk). I think you just send an sms to activate the data service if you need Internet.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
200MB mobile data on PAYG with all 3 Cyprus providers is around €10

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Most odd as pretty much everywhere I ever go in CY has free WiFi, they even print the code/key on the menus in many instances. Anyway, just spoke to my brother (who lives in Larnaca) and he suggests MTN PAYG, You can't get a PAYG sim with unlimited data.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Your best bet would be to get a pay as you go sim. MTN is one of the main companies on the island and they offer good packages. Also you can pick up one of their cards at any periptero (newsagents /kiosk). I think you just send an sms to activate the data service if you need Internet.

Thanks.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Hope that helps.
Small place in Pissouri...

danielson81

Nov 16, 2010
Brighton, UK
EU Roaming prices are going down in July, check your UK operators rates.

Eg, o2 charge £2 per day of data used with a "fair" limit, ie don't torrent/stream 24/7.

So if its only a week, £15? Obviously over a long period this isn't ideal but for a week saves hassle of getting and registering a sim card etc.

Info here; www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-data-roaming - Edit some operators cost a lot more!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Not been back to Southern Cyprus for a few years so out of touch with mobile pricing there. I'm looking for a good deal for a local SIM Card, main use will be for Data. Hotel want silly money for Wi-Fi so looking for cheap mobile alternative.

Thanks.

Had an update from my brother in Larnaca

"The other day you were asking about mobile data in south CY for someone on holiday. It turns out there is a much better option than just going for a regular PAYG sim and adding data to it - which was around €10 for 200-250MB.

MTN have a "Holiday Internet" SIM which gives 2GB for €20 valid for 15 days:

http://www.mtn.com.cy/en/mobilebroadbandpayasyougo/

Much better value and a decent amount of data. No voice or SMS though."

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Had an update from my brother in Larnaca

"The other day you were asking about mobile data in south CY for someone on holiday. It turns out there is a much better option than just going for a regular PAYG sim and adding data to it - which was around €10 for 200-250MB.

MTN have a "Holiday Internet" SIM which gives 2GB for €20 valid for 15 days:

http://www.mtn.com.cy/en/mobilebroadbandpayasyougo/

Much better value and a decent amount of data. No voice or SMS though."
Much better than the other MTN deal. I bought one 10 euro package, 200 Mb data and it was gone in a couple of days. Didn't bother again until I needed to make a few local calls. Bloody rip off! Thanks for the info about the latest deal, if I go back next year I'll see if it is still available.

Been spoiled by D-Tac in Thailand where internet and local calls are unlimited for about £10 a month.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here