Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone got an iMac?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
My (Acer) laptop's gone kaputt so I'm looking at my options.

I'm not really interested in anger laptop, more interested in desktops.

I REALLY want an iMac but the £899.00 price tag is making me blush.

Although, PC World are offering interest free finance on Apple products so my arm is slowly twisting.
£90.00 p/m is very manageable but it's still £900 bones!

I want a desktop. Should I buy a half-decent PC at around £400 or splash out on the interest free iMac?

First world problems eh.

Itman-dan

Jul 19, 2011
What do you want it for? If its gaming then spend the money on a decent gaming rig. If you are doing more media stuff like photo and music editing maybe the mac would suit you more. My personal opinion is the money spent on a mac can get you a very good machine which will do pretty much anything thrown at it, just it will be running windows which I know a lot on here hate.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I use my iMac with both Windows and OSX. It's very reliable, great spec (even though it is over 3 years old now) I run PC & Mac versions of CS4 without any problems. When this one dies, or is finally outpaced, I'll have no hesitation in buying a new one. Just budget for a decent replacement for the keyboard and mouse.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
My (Acer) laptop's gone kaputt so I'm looking at my options.

I'm not really interested in anger laptop, more interested in desktops.

I REALLY want an iMac but the £899.00 price tag is making me blush.

Although, PC World are offering interest free finance on Apple products so my arm is slowly twisting.
£90.00 p/m is very manageable but it's still £900 bones!

I want a desktop. Should I buy a half-decent PC at around £400 or splash out on the interest free iMac?

First world problems eh.

A cheaper entry into Mac would be a Mac mini. You could use your existing monitor, mouse and keypad and change those to matching Apple kit, or other stuff of your choice, as and when.

It's not as pretty as an iMac, but they're decent bits of kit.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Sorry - just read your post properly about having a laptop currently. The Mac mini is still a good option. You can buy decent non-Apple monitors for peanuts nowadays.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Go Mac. I've just changed job and had 5 years of MacBook Pro at work, and one on my coffee table for various bits. New job is Windows based, and using my Dell 'thing', with Windows 7 is pretty horrendous experience. Then again depends what you are doing

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Apple also do financing - don't get it from PC World they are a bunch of jokers, and I'm not sure you will get after-sales support from the Apple Store if you don't buy direct? the difference between booking a timeslot quickly to fix a problem with an apple, and having your apple being sent away for 2 weeks with pc world is massive

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Apple also do financing - don't get it from PC World they are a bunch of jokers, and I'm not sure you will get after-sales support from the Apple Store if you don't buy direct? the difference between booking a timeslot quickly to fix a problem with an apple, and having your apple being sent away for 2 weeks with pc world is massive

Are you suggesting Apples go wrong, how dare you, wash your mouse out.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
On the subject of iMacs ours is about 5 plus years old and just recently the mouse loses connection quite a bit - is it time to invest in a new one ?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
On the subject of iMacs ours is about 5 plus years old and just recently the mouse loses connection quite a bit - is it time to invest in a new one ?

Nah, just get a new mouse

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
In the old days on NSC you could get a fair amount of Macs v PCs bickering. What's changed? In recent years the threads on Macs seem to attract very little anti-Mac sentiment.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I cleaned the Mac keyboard a little too vigorously. Went to the Apple Shop and they replaced it for free.

I have never had service like that from any PC outlet, and morso as it was just out of warranty.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
In the old days on NSC you could get a fair amount of Macs v PCs bickering. What's changed? In recent years the threads on Macs seem to attract very little anti-Mac sentiment.

Oh I'll have a go then. The rest of my family all have Macs.
If Macs are so reliable and the OS so intuitive why do I have to keep going round and fixing them?

(Sent from my ancient android phone not my 7 year old acer laptop)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If Macs are so reliable and the OS so intuitive why do I have to keep going round and fixing them?

Fixing what, exactly?

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
I have had my iMac for 3 years now and it's as good as the day I bought it. It is quite simply the best computer I have ever owned.

If anyone try's to tell you windows machines are better they are deluded.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

That's more like it! For a moment, I thought all anti-Mac thought was being censored on NSC.

[typed on a glorious MacBook Air]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here