Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much will England's W/C failure cost 'the economy'?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We're occasional being told of the boost the economy gets when coupled with sporting success.
Olympics, Ashes, the bike industry, et al.

So as the title suggests, what's the cost of failure?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We're occasional being told of the boost the economy gets when coupled with sporting success.
Olympics, Ashes, the bike industry, et al.

So as the title suggests, what's the cost of failure?

Or benefit of failure.

1. Very few people bunking out of work early today to get home or to the pub to watch it.
2. Significant reduction in sick/hangover days that would follow England's late night exploits during the knock-out phases.
3. No spates of mindless vandalism which immediately follow the moment England crash out on penalties and beered up geezers pour out of pubs and take out their frustrations on anything they can.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Or benefit of failure.

1. Very few people bunking out of work early today to get home or to the pub to watch it.
2. Significant reduction in sick/hangover days that would follow England's late night exploits during the knock-out phases.
3. No spates of mindless vandalism which immediately follow the moment England crash out on penalties and beered up geezers pour out of pubs and take out their frustrations on anything they can.

Every cloud ...

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
There was a report published in the run-up to the tournament, I can't remember by whom, which estimated that every goal England scored in the WC would be worth c£200 million to the economy. Additionally, England getting beyond the Group Stages was reckoned at boosting UK advertising revenues by c5%.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Think of a figure. Golden rule, MUST be a big number and it must be arbitrary.

Get someone with a GCSE in Business studies to report it on the radio or Telly.

The number becomes fact - for a day or so.

Here's an example, Englands failure in the World Cup has cost the economy 500 MILLION in lost supermarket canned beer sales ALONE.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
All the World Cup TAT is in the bargain bins in the shops already, I don't think advertisers and merchandisers will be so keen to jump into bed with 'Club England' in the future

Indeed. That Kevin Bacon mobile phone advert is ridiculous in many ways, including having an American refer to England as "we" but also, now, that they won't be able to use it for as long as they expected.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I don't really frequent Subway fast food takeaways but whenever I go past one now I associate it with England and failure!
Christ knows when I will next eat a mars bar.

Think of a figure. Golden rule, MUST be a big number and it must be arbitrary.

Get someone with a GCSE in Business studies to report it on the radio or Telly.

The number becomes fact - for a day or so.

Here's an example, Englands failure in the World Cup has cost the economy 500 MILLION in lost supermarket canned beer sales ALONE.

..Beat me to it - just snatch a large number out of the air, spout bulls**t about it in a convincing way because no one will be able to prove any different.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Although I'm a listener of Talksport the adverts featuring soundalikes Gerrard and Rooney are now seriously hacking me off.
I assume they will continue for the next two weeks as well:facepalm:
I HAVEN'T A CLUE WHAT THEY ARE ADVERTISING EITHER :moo:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here