Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Visiting the Isle of Wight

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I haven't been to the island for over 25 years. I used to love going there as a youngster, and for a while I've been meaning to make a visit.

As I have a few free days, I was planning to go tomorrow.

I was hoping to travel around the island, using the local buses/trains, and would like to include a five mile or so walk. My favourite town is Shanklin.

Is there anyone who could make suggestions for an intensive day out on the island ?

Bus to Needles Battery (quicker if you go over via Lymington - Yarmouth route) visit, take in spectacular views, walk over Tennyson Down for more spectacular views of the Island laid out like a map. Get the bus from there that takes the "Military Road" to Ventnor for more spectacular sea views. You can carry on to Shanklin via bus, and then train to Ryde.

This all assumes that it is not raining on the day you visit. Have a look on the Southern Vectis website for times.

Last edited:

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
£10 for 24 hr Bus Rover ticket ,Shanklin to Ventnor a nice but hilly walk .it is signposted so you won't get lost.On the walk you have The Bonchurch inn 12 to 3 though does really good food if you fancy a pub lunch.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Tip, if travelling by ferry as a foot passenger, it is cheaper to go on the car ferry as foot passenger from Portsmouth to Fishbourne Cost me £14 on my last visit a couple of months ago

Last edited:

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Tip, if travelling by ferry as a foot passenger, it is cheaper to go on the car ferry as foot passenger from Portsmouth to Lymington. Cost me £14 on my last visit a couple of months ago

Do you mean Lymington to Yarmouth or Portsmouth to Ryde? Portsmouth to Lymington, whilst affording you lovely views of the IoW won't actually get you there! :)

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
If you haven't been for 25 years you will notice that about 2 miles of blackgang chimes is now in the sea.

TB

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I haven't been to the island for over 25 years. I used to love going there as a youngster, and for a while I've been meaning to make a visit.

As I have a few free days, I was planning to go tomorrow.

I was hoping to travel around the island, using the local buses/trains, and would like to include a five mile or so walk. My favourite town is Shanklin.

Is there anyone who could make suggestions for an intensive day out on the island ?
Needles walk is great, bus will take you to the start point..... about 4hours return trip if you don't sprint and you have a look around for a bit at the needles.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
£10 for 24 hr Bus Rover ticket ,Shanklin to Ventnor a nice but hilly walk .it is signposted so you won't get lost.On the walk you have The Bonchurch inn 12 to 3 though does really good food if you fancy a pub lunch.
Forgot to say Southern Vectis single Fares I.E Shanklin to Sandown is £3.50 ,Shanklin to Newport £4.50 ,so a £10 Rover Ticket is a must.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Mrs Grombleton's family live on the island and its awesome to spend a few days over there. We went to the Own & Falconry Centre at Appuldurcombe - worth a visit as the displays are fun and the people running them are both very entertaining and knowledgable about the birds.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Eat and drink at The White Mouse in Chale....lovely place!

Enjoy Isle of Wight especially West Wight, well probably only west wight.

Got a phone call just as leaving with my then young children that there had been an attack on the Twin Towers and went and watched 9/11 unfold in the very nice bar that is The Wight Mouse, at that time there was a very seafaring looking landlord that looked like he owned it, but he has since sold out to a chain, although quite an agreeable one from my last visit.

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
Went to the Isle in May, Blackgang Chine is still there, just not so much of it. Didn't go in but the area is quite nice by the cliffs. Reviews are pretty good ...

Was in 2 minds about going here as it did seem rather pricey but went in anyway as son really wanted to see what it was like. The dinosaur area is brilliant, my 2 yr old got quite scared by them but they were very good, watch out for the ones that spray you! The cowboy area was good and the food in that area was very nice and freshly cooked for you. The pirate boat play area was great and as it was a very hot day the water cannons were being used quite a bit to cool people down. The giant metal slides are the only warning, I came down one and it tipped me over on one side as I was coming down and I burnt/grazed my elbow, but that's the only bad thing to say. The water slides are brilliant for the young and adults alike, the rollercoaster is good fun too. I think that if the weather is bad its not the place to go as most things are outside but on a hot sunny day its brill.

and

We took our 2 and 3 yr old here last week. Not really sure how to describe it. Great dinosaur attraction. Could hardly tear the boys away from the pirate area. Some other areas were quite bizarre. Both boys refused to go into the mansion (can't blame them either). We ran out of energy before we could get to the roller coaster. Would definitely have gone back using the free return if we had been staying longer.

and

Once you pay to get in you can go on whatever ride as many times as you like. The ice cream served by the water slide and cliff hanger roller coaster is absolutely delicious. Just totally awesome...a deffo must....my children love it...can't get enough of it...keep asking me Dad when are we going there again....the new Dino enclosure is fantatstico and my little 2 year old is made up with it ...happy family days xxx

Visited May 2014

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Went to the Isle in May, Blackgang Chine is still there, just not so much of it. Didn't go in but the area is quite nice by the cliffs. Reviews are pretty good ...

Was in 2 minds about going here as it did seem rather pricey but went in anyway as son really wanted to see what it was like. The dinosaur area is brilliant, my 2 yr old got quite scared by them but they were very good, watch out for the ones that spray you! The cowboy area was good and the food in that area was very nice and freshly cooked for you. The pirate boat play area was great and as it was a very hot day the water cannons were being used quite a bit to cool people down. The giant metal slides are the only warning, I came down one and it tipped me over on one side as I was coming down and I burnt/grazed my elbow, but that's the only bad thing to say. The water slides are brilliant for the young and adults alike, the rollercoaster is good fun too. I think that if the weather is bad its not the place to go as most things are outside but on a hot sunny day its brill.

and

We took our 2 and 3 yr old here last week. Not really sure how to describe it. Great dinosaur attraction. Could hardly tear the boys away from the pirate area. Some other areas were quite bizarre. Both boys refused to go into the mansion (can't blame them either). We ran out of energy before we could get to the roller coaster. Would definitely have gone back using the free return if we had been staying longer.

and

Once you pay to get in you can go on whatever ride as many times as you like. The ice cream served by the water slide and cliff hanger roller coaster is absolutely delicious. Just totally awesome...a deffo must....my children love it...can't get enough of it...keep asking me Dad when are we going there again....the new Dino enclosure is fantatstico and my little 2 year old is made up with it ...happy family days xxx

Visited May 2014
The Pet Shop at Blackgang cracks me up every time.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Warners have one of their hotels at Bembridge and are offering half price deals at present which include the ferry,good entertainment,indoor heated pool and no children,short breaks are very reasonable.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here