Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Broadband & Internet

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
NSC I've recently purchased a property in Burgess Hill and wish to have some internet. I've no idea where to start.

Unsure if the property even has a phone line, and frankly don't need one if at all possible to survive without it as we have mobile phones.

With all that aside are there any recommendations about broadband packages or more importantly who should be avoided.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Virgin Media have the fastest speeds ans have been reliable for me since 2004 (when NTL).

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I've got BT, however I wouldn't recommend them whatsoever. The service is ok now, but it took 6 weeks of ringing them and hassling them to get anywhere near a sensible service. If I'd had the patience and the immediate cash, I would have parted with £140 for a BT line, then gone with Talktalk or Sky.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I've got BT, however I wouldn't recommend them whatsoever. The service is ok now, but it took 6 weeks of ringing them and hassling them to get anywhere near a sensible service. If I'd had the patience and the immediate cash, I would have parted with £140 for a BT line, then gone with Talktalk or Sky.

They both still use the BT line though

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Sky fibre works fine here. 40+megawotsits.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
The phone line is the problem as needed with everyone. I read a few weeks ago that now 4G is getting established it's possible to live without a phone line. I guess that's with smart TV's or things like chromecast or Apple TV

If you're going the conventional route BT infinity is super fast and reliable. There will be horror stories about every operator and imo they are all as good or bad as each other, just depends if you get lucky or unlucky during the set up. Except Virgin they all use the same infrastructure (wires) so claims of faster/better can be largely ignored. The pricing to get you started will confuse the shit out of you so if cost is a factor I'd go on what the costs are when you are out of the incentive period

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Just ditched the phone from BT to EE who did the Broadband, what I do not understand is why BT charged me twice as much as EE for the line rental......

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Another vote for Virgin Media - fast internet and you can get a Tivo box which is a great bit of kit ( free call outs on the rare occasion something does go wrong ).

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Just ditched BT for Talktalk, which is part of Carphone Warehouse. My payments have halved for the use of exactly the same exchange and fiber to the cabinet.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Also checkout http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ as they seem to have reviews and articles about most broadband providers. If you want to avoid having a phone line then Virgin Media is pretty much your only option (if you live in one of their areas).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here