vChelsea_4307.JPG

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Me too, only the home game, was only 11 at the replay

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Me. My dad wouldn't take me to the replay, but he said it was so packed that the only time he saw the ball was when it was up in the air. Being 10 years old at the time, I probably wouldn't have even seen that!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Me but missed the replay despite travelling to Stamford Bridge. The gates were closed early so a large group of us couldn't get in. We sat on a pub over the road.

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
54,582 and I heard people could not see as well in the replay. Biggest crowd for the season at Stamford Bridge eclipsing the 51,000 for the Chelsea v Spurs match. And nearly double the previous Chelsea home match against Man City. A very big match in the season following the World Cup.

People were coming back from Stamford Bridge full up an hour before KO.

I don't know why the Tiger Tawse volley was disallowed in the first game?

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Me but missed the replay despite travelling to Stamford Bridge. The gates were closed early so a large group of us couldn't get in. We sat on a pub over the road.
I was at the first game , but got locked out of the replay. There were thousands milling around outside Stamford Bridge, mostly Albion fans.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Me. Both home and the replay at Stamford Bridge and the previous ties in that cup run at Newport, Bath and Aldershot (away & replay).

Vouchers for a ticket for the Goldstone game had to be obtained at the preceeding Peterborough away game by meeting a director, Len Stringer, outside the main stand at London Road, whilst tickets were being sold at the Goldstone at a reserve match.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Was at the home game. In my mid teens.

What Chelsea sang will always stick with me:
Aye, Aye aye aye,
Bonetti is better than yashin,
Hollins is better than Eusebio
And Brighton are in for a thrashing

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Me. Both home and the replay at Stamford Bridge and the previous ties in that cup run at Newport, Bath and Aldershot (away & replay).

Vouchers for a ticket for the Goldstone game had to be obtained at the preceeding Peterborough away game by meeting a director, Len Stringer, outside the main stand at London Road, whilst tickets were being sold at the Goldstone at a reserve match.

I was at Bath ( 5-0 as I recall ) and Aldershot (0 - 0 on a quagmire of a pitch, 3 - 1 win in replay ). As you state, the tickets for the Chelsea game were sold at a reserve game v. Notts County( ? ) when a record 22,000 turned up for a Football Combination match.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
moi

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I expect you remember Wally Gould and Tiger Tawse, but who were our two central defenders?

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I was at Bath ( 5-0 as I recall ) and Aldershot (0 - 0 on a quagmire of a pitch, 3 - 1 win in replay ). As you state, the tickets for the Chelsea game were sold at a reserve game v. Notts County( ? ) when a record 22,000 turned up for a Football Combination match.

Quagmire: it was like the Adur at low tide (literally) !

Replay 3-1 was really buzzing!
Queues four abreast to the bus depot two hours before the start of the reserve match.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
I expect you remember Wally Gould and Tiger Tawse, but who were our two central defenders?

Norman Gall - don't think anyone had 2 central defenders in those days. I was at both Aldershot and both Chelsea games. I recall the game at Aldershot was in danger of postponement right up till KO.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Norman Gall - don't think anyone had 2 central defenders in those days. I was at both Aldershot and both Chelsea games. I recall the game at Aldershot was in danger of postponement right up till KO.

It should have been postponed but with over 10 thousand Albion fans there the Police did not want it postponed (rumour). The pitch was not just unplayable, it was unwalkable. unrunnable.

MarioOrlandi

Jun 4, 2013
The first time I ever saw the Albion, and it was on the tele :) needless to say I was hooked, although I never got to see my first match until the following season

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here