Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Spurs England Internationals asking for dodgy sicknotes.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Seems there were some Spurs players who wanted Arry to write a sicknote to teacher so as to get out of playing for England?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27962633

About sums up the mentality of some modern players. If it was going on at Spurs, chances are it was going on elsewhere, especially at clubs who had/have a non English manager and probably wouldn't give a toss about the England team.

Who were the Spurs players in the England set up around that time? King and Woodgate come to mind although they were probably genuine! Defoe? Crouch? Parker? Can't think of others?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Seems there were some Spurs players who wanted Arry to write a sicknote to teacher so as to get out of playing for England?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27962633

About sums up the mentality of some modern players. If it was going on at Spurs, chances are it was going on elsewhere, especially at clubs who had/have a non English manager and probably wouldn't give a toss about the England team.

Who were the Spurs players in the England set up around that time? King and Woodgate come to mind although they were probably genuine! Defoe? Crouch? Parker? Can't think of others?

Lennon, King (he has reason), Defoe, Dawson (unlikely), Huddlestone (unlikely) Bentley, Walker (unlikely) Naughton, Woodgate (again understandable) JJ, Bent, Crouch (unlikely) Parker (unlikely)

The most likely are

Lennon, Bentley and Bent.

Or it could just be Redkanpp talking shit as normal.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It shows how the game has moved on. Years ago I don't think anyone would turn down a cap or decide to "retire from international football " Now days it seems you either regard playing for England as a chance to earn more off field, like Beckham and Rooney or try to avoid it because of avoiding criticism from the media or the fans for poor performances. Years ago an England cap would put your value up by quite a bit, nowdays when someone like Adam Lallana is valued at £30M a cap adds next to nothing.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Lennon, King (he has reason), Defoe, Dawson (unlikely), Huddlestone (unlikely) Bentley, Walker (unlikely) Naughton, Woodgate (again understandable) JJ, Bent, Crouch (unlikely) Parker (unlikely)

The most likely are

Lennon and Bentley

I agree with most of those, King and Woodgate suffered terribly from repeated injuries and I can imagine they wanted just to be fit to play for their clubs regularly as the height of their ambition, Walker was a fanatical reader of the game and was constantly working really hard to improve but,, I think his one or two howlers may have broke him so it could be him.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
This is no surprise. I've no doubt that the 23 who were part of the World Cup squad gave it their best effort on the pitch and in training once the England squad had got together about 3-4 weeks ago. However, all other England training sessions, friendlies, and even qualifiers would have have been lower priority than the potential 3 points in the Premier League the following Saturday. How can anyone expect the England coach to form a team that has any chance with only 2-3 weeks serious preparation?!

I'm beginning to sound like a stuck record I know, but you just have to look at Costa Rica: No so-called world class players, and few, if any, that would've made the England squad based on club performance. Yet they have been so well organised that their team is greater than the sum of its parts, to the extent that they've deservedly beaten Uruguay and Italy (and will probably beat England).

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Kyle Walker definitely - from what I've seen he's absolute mustard, and his injuries haven't been that horrendous in comparison to others, and I just can't work out why the likes of Glenn Johnson have kept him out of the side? Also a fair bet may be Huddlestone.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

The most likely are

Lennon, Bentley and Bent.

thanks for the breakdown, because i was stuggling to think who this would be. of the most likley left, Bentley would have been lucky to be fit, Lennon always seems to give all effort, so really only Bent left as a likly candidate.

i really dont buy this wealthy players dont want to play for England nonsence. other players for other nations are getting paid the same, and usually being an international raises your profile and earnings. i cant think of any other industry where people earning loads dont still want to strive to achieve all they can, so i dont see why rich footballers would still lack desire and passion to play for country. and if they dont want to play, its simple enough to say so and not be selected. can only think of a couple that have "retired" when still playing at the top, and they usually have good enough reason to do so even then, rather than simply earning too much to want to.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This is no surprise. I've no doubt that the 23 who were part of the World Cup squad gave it their best effort on the pitch and in training once the England squad had got together about 3-4 weeks ago. However, all other England training sessions, friendlies, and even qualifiers would have have been lower priority than the potential 3 points in the Premier League the following Saturday. How can anyone expect the England coach to form a team that has any chance with only 2-3 weeks serious preparation?!

I'm beginning to sound like a stuck record I know, but you just have to look at Costa Rica: No so-called world class players, and few, if any, that would've made the England squad based on club performance. Yet they have been so well organised that their team is greater than the sum of its parts, to the extent that they've deservedly beaten Uruguay and Italy (and will probably beat England).[/QUOTE]

It is certainly possible to have some success with a squad that may be technically limited but can play as a team to a system. Costa Rica this time but didn't Greece win an European Championship not by great skills but more by hard work and playing to a system ? Relying on the likes of Beckham,Gerrard and Rooney over the years as a talisman has not been much good.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Kyle Walker definitely - from what I've seen he's absolute mustard, and his injuries haven't been that horrendous in comparison to others, and I just can't work out why the likes of Glenn Johnson have kept him out of the side? Also a fair bet may be Huddlestone.

Walker only recently broke into the squad - 2011 - during that time he has broken his toe - and was kept out of the world cup with a pelvic injury.

I could be wrong but I highly doubt he would be one of the players.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
thanks for the breakdown, because i was stuggling to think who this would be. of the most likley left, Bentley would have been lucky to be fit, Lennon always seems to give all effort, so really only Bent left as a likly candidate.

i really dont buy this wealthy players dont want to play for England nonsence. other players for other nations are getting paid the same, and usually being an international raises your profile and earnings. i cant think of any other industry where people earning loads dont still want to strive to achieve all they can, so i dont see why rich footballers would still lack desire and passion to play for country. and if they dont want to play, its simple enough to say so and not be selected. can only think of a couple that have "retired" when still playing at the top, and they usually have good enough reason to do so even then, rather than simply earning too much to want to.

Bent and Bentley where the first names to my mind because of there attitudes.

Players like Defoe have played for England when half fit and playing for England is the highest level they will play at as they wont be in the Champions League

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

I'm beginning to sound like a stuck record I know, but you just have to look at Costa Rica: No so-called world class players, and few, if any, that would've made the England squad based on club performance. Yet they have been so well organised that their team is greater than the sum of its parts, to the extent that they've deservedly beaten Uruguay and Italy (and will probably beat England).[/QUOTE]

It is certainly possible to have some success with a squad that may be technically limited but can play as a team to a system. Costa Rica this time but didn't Greece win an European Championship not by great skills but more by hard work and playing to a system ? Relying on the likes of Beckham,Gerrard and Rooney over the years as a talisman has not been much good.

It was their organisation and understanding that impressed me. They caught the Italians offside a number of times the other day, even with one if the world's best playmakers pulling the strings. Meanwhile, England's back 4 were unable to defend against a route one hoof from the keeper.

silverwizard

Nov 10, 2009
I heard Harry this morning and thought he wasn't just referring to full internationals but was also including under 21's etc. There seems little doubt that players from smaller or newer nations show greater pride and passion than not just our players but also the Dutch and French in past world cups and even Spain in this one. Maybe being from an older nation doesn't generate the same excitement.

Magic City

Mar 29, 2014
Walker is definitely the most likely for me. He comes across as a bit of idiot and his use of 'legal' drugs last year gave a real indicator of the person that he is.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I heard Harry this morning and thought he wasn't just referring to full internationals but was also including under 21's etc. There seems little doubt that players from smaller or newer nations show greater pride and passion than not just our players but also the Dutch and French in past world cups and even Spain in this one. Maybe being from an older nation doesn't generate the same excitement.

He left out the part where HE tried to stop 5 u19 players going off with England to play in a tournament didn't he

aliakbanrafsanjali

Dec 29, 2012
What was the point in revealing this? What was the gain? We all know Harry has the hump as he didn't get the England job! Telling the world this without telling us who these players were is pointless. Biter and twisted stirring from the man, he would be better thought of if he kept his mouth shut and concentrated on his present job.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Redknapp must have been worried the media were starting to ignore him lately. He's hardly one to complain about there being too many foreign players in the league.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I'm sure they did along with many other clubs players over the years and I bet those players are extremely grateful to the famous man manager 'Arry for revealing this.

Can't understand why the media are even reporting this non event though?

I wish that cretin would just f-off back to that disgusting greed infested pit called Sandbanks and retire for good so that we never have to hear the crap that he so regularly feels he needs to share with the world again.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I wish that cretin would just f-off back to that disgusting greed infested pit called Sandbanks and retire for good so that we never have to hear the crap that he so regularly feels he needs to share with the world again.

:lolol:

Good work, sir.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here