Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Springsteen track for a funeral

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Cheerful topic. I've been asked for help choosing a Springsteen track for a funeral. Not my field of expertise. Can anyone advise please?
Thanks in advance.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Would need a bit more context to make a sound suggestion but initial thoughts are that 'Thunder Road's' closing line of 'It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win' might work.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Depends on who its for and what the relationship was:

[yt]aqgkkuR8Nvg[/yt]

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
[yt]06fCMfcMnqk&list=RD06fCMfcMnqk#t=0[/yt]

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
[yt]xtMhtMc1GW8[/yt]

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
[yt]9HRY8YcszwA[/yt]

Bit moving this one, written after 9/11 Twin Towers

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
was the departed a Springsteen fan? Is fo, what was his/her favourite track.

About 5 years ago, I had a cousin die young(ish), and his favourite song was played for the coffin to leave the Church - Just like Heaven, by the Cure. Despite the title, it is not religious and is upbeat and joyous. So don't get too hung up on choosing something sombre and "appropriate". And I say this with some authority, because I am a regular church-goer and a qualified preacher.

And if any vicar or whatever says something is not appropriate (if there is anything religious involved), they are totally wrong, in my view, unless it is something just so vile and offensive it is going to upset everyone..... and I don't think anything by Springsteen would do that.

Hope this is helpful.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's a really tough call. You're likely to reduce the congregation to tears whatever you choose. Maybe a slowed-down tasteful instrumental version of The River? Good luck.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
If it's for a bloke, you could do worse than spinning The Promise, from the CD of the same name, which are the outtakes from the 1978 Darkness On The Edge Of Town sessions

Includes the killer line, 'All my life I've fought this fight, the fight that no man can ever win, every day it gets harder to live, this dream I'm believin' in...'

And it's a ballad :)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here