Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

World Cup Stadium Seating

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I've been watching the footie out of samba land and noticed the stands seemed strange. It looks like the first 10 rows have been removed from around the stadium making the 'new' front row 10 feet above the ground and 10 feet further back from the pitch. I put this down to one of two reasons-
1/ All stadiums in Brazil are built this way or
2/ FIFA have removed the seats and put up a blue banner around the pitch. This makes sure you can see the pitchside adverts shouting at you. Incidentally, EUFA put a blue banner across the first three rows of seats in all champions league games for the same reason, money.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Not too sure why they are so far back but I know quite a few stadiums around Europe and South America have the seating raised from the ground.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
I've also found it odd that there haven't been flags draped over that drop. I presume that is one of Fifa's rules?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
View attachment 55302

Here is a ground from brasil...great beer tent...

But hard too say really,perhaps others can enlighten..

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
They are similar to a lot of grounds in the US and that's due to the room needed for American Football sideline activity. Maybe to keep the crowd away from the pitch, they tend to throw things and a lot of South American grounds have fences as well, especially Argentina

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Charlton has this at one end too. Not entirely sure for the reason but imagine it's to give the front rows a better view and certainly makes it much easier for TV cameras and photographers to work without blocking the view.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
I've also found it odd that there haven't been flags draped over that drop. I presume that is one of Fifa's rules?
No they aren't allowing it,strange being at England games with no flags

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I've been watching the footie out of samba land and noticed the stands seemed strange. It looks like the first 10 rows have been removed from around the stadium making the 'new' front row 10 feet above the ground and 10 feet further back from the pitch. I put this down to one of two reasons-
1/ All stadiums in Brazil are built this way or
2/ FIFA have removed the seats and put up a blue banner around the pitch. This makes sure you can see the pitchside adverts shouting at you. Incidentally, EUFA put a blue banner across the first three rows of seats in all champions league games for the same reason, money.

Both WC & CL ad hoardings are twice as tall as those initially installed so the old front rows simply couldn't see if used

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Perhaps it a situation like a Vicarage road and Ashton gate? the 2 main stands?,the new ones that were built when they first open had huge drops on them at the front and later on they were filled in to meet nearer the pitches?

Younger posters will perhaps not recall what i am talking about.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I may be totally out here, but I believe stands in the USA are built this way so that fans can see over the 40-odd non playing American football players plus coaches etc on the sidelines. Perhaps this just seeped down into South American stadia as well?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I think its great. The view from the front ten rows at the Amex makes it pretty much impossible to have any perspective on the game... especially on the far side/end of the pitch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here