Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton sewer tour

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Very interesting, incredible feet of engineering by the Victorians!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Very interesting, incredible feet of engineering by the Victorians!

I would have though you would have spent enough time around drains during the working week.:D

I have been on the tour many years ago and it's very interesting, imagine being a bricklayer back when the sewers were built.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
I'd recommend this as well. Did it about 40 years ago with the school.

Loved it but I still remember the pong to this day.

Also remember climbing up a big wooden ladder. Wonder how it's changed from then to now with the health and safety these days.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
The best one is down at black rock off the under cliff where it starts to get really deep as it heads towards portobello.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
How much, and where do you book it?

Wifes Birthday coming up and she wants to do something "different"

£12 and I think someone's posted the link

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I would have though you would have spent enough time around drains during the working week.:D

I have been on the tour many years ago and it's very interesting, imagine being a bricklayer back when the sewers were built.

Yeah me and the old man are so used to the smell it didn't phase us! I think they said there was over 7million bricks in one part, amazing how they built it, 4 bricks thick the walls with a 500 year lifespan!

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;6414671 said:

My feet did get wet tho:eek:------after forty years of plumbing you do not get used to the smell of :shit:despite what the wrong one says-------bit of a 'Busmans Holiday' for me.
Engineering on a vast scale by hand.
Health n safety has somewhat curtailed the tour---must of been even better ten years ago.
Now back to my wine in the garden:thumbsup:lovely

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Nice. Glad to hear that it is good

Was it live at the time? When I went down Wick Lane in London it was at about knee/thigh height

Odd thing about the smel of sewage, I work for Thames Water and have spent loads of time with the blockage crews, engineers, CCTV and also many weeks on Sewage Treatment Works. I wouldn't say that I am used to the smell, but it doesn't bother me and I kind of like it as odd as that sounds

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I'd recommend this as well. Did it about 40 years ago with the school.

Loved it but I still remember the pong to this day.

Also remember climbing up a big wooden ladder. Wonder how it's changed from then to now with the health and safety these days.

I did it around then with the Tech College. No yellow jackets or hard hats then.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
My Grandparents lived in one of the cottages at Portobello , grandfather worked for Southern Water in the 70s,he died in 1978 and my grandma stayed in the same house until 2006. Remember going down the old pumping station as a child, still remember the smell as the tankers came and unloaded.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here