Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mosquito Repellent/Bands

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
Travelling to the Swedish Archipelago just outside Stockholm in a week and was wondering if anyone had any experience using Mosquito Repellent Bands? Do they work? How much did you need, 1 set a day etc? Any other tips would be helpful!

Camping/Canoeing for 2 nights then heading into Central Stockholm for The Rolling Stones, can't wait! :cheers::rock:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I wouldn't waste your money on them. Mozzies love to bite me, and I've found the best thing is an insect repellant spray called Buzz Off from Superdrug.

I don't work for Superdrug before anybody posts anything in reply.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
I wouldn't waste your money on them. Mozzies love to bite me, and I've found the best thing is an insect repellant spray called Buzz Off from Superdrug.

I don't work for Superdrug before anybody posts anything in reply.

I was thinking of buying both a wearable band and taking spray too, just to be sure.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
It might be an old wife's tale, but taking vitamin B tablets is good at keeping mozzies at bay. My wife and I took then when we were on holiday in central Africa and we did not get bitten. Other people we were travelling with did get bitten.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
Two days camping in Sweden? Might be wrong, but got a gut feeling you may well survive without having to buy any anti-mozzie products at all :moo:

Mozzies are actually quite well known for being a bit of a pest in Sweden. Add to that being next to the water in a summer months for up to 72 hours I think I'd prefer to spend £5 on a product. Just wondered if anyone had a recommendation.

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009
The only effective repellent with regard to mossies is Deet. You will find it in just about every decent spray, cream etc. Bands/bracelets are impregnated with it and can work to a limited extent. Don't go for fancy brands, just get the best ratio of Deet content to cost. Nothing works completely - some people are just delicious to mossies.

Apr 17, 2011
Shoreham
Used Tesco and Morrison's 50% deet insect repellent products for Cuba, Thailand and Turkey with no bites, whilst others were getting bitten frequently. Make sure it is 50% otherwise it will be innefective.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Think midges in Scotland.

220px-Midge_Ure_2004-10-26.jpg ???

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
One of the best things is cinnamon oil which not only repeals mozzies but really helps relieve the bites if you get them.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Take piriton tables or medicine at least a week before going.
For a Repellent use... Avon, skin so soft.
For bites put a Spoon under hot water then apply to the bite too reduce the itching and swelling.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
If you are susceptible to being bitten, do as wife does use both bands & a good quality spray [Jungle Formula]. Also be sensible and wear long sleeve shirts, hiking trousers & not shorts & wear a hat.

As an amusing aside, whilst birding with a group in Peru a few years back one of our party heard that Marmite was good for keeping mossies at bay [vit B thing]. It didn't work so in desperation he ended up spreading it over his face, legs & arms. It worked then!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here