Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Parent gym is coming to Brighton

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Hi everyone,

There’s a new programme coming to Brighton, offering free parenting workshops to support families in primary schools across the city.

Check out our website at www.parentgym.com to see if you'd like to get involved - we need talented parents to train as coaches, to help make a difference to the next generation. Or watch our new video to see what Parent Gym does and how: YouTube Video:
Click here to view on youtube

We would love to hear from you if you're interested in getting involved: 020 7368 5698/info@parentgym.com. We’ll be running an event for potential volunteers to have a go at some parent coaching on the 23rd June – get in touch for more details.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Thanks but spam off

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Hi everyone,

There’s a new programme coming to Brighton, offering free parenting workshops to support families in primary schools across the city.

Check out our website at www.parentgym.com to see if you'd like to get involved - we need talented parents to train as coaches, to help make a difference to the next generation. Or watch our new video to see what Parent Gym does and how: YouTube Video:

We would love to hear from you if you're interested in getting involved: 020 7368 5698/info@parentgym.com. We’ll be running an event for potential volunteers to have a go at some parent coaching on the 23rd June – get in touch for more details.

Volunteer? My parenting skills are handed out on a consultancy basis and attract a significant FEE.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Good luck - looks a worthwhile project.

Just one thing - and this really annoys me :

"At the moment only 16% of pupils who are eligible for free school meals progress to university (Sutton Trust 2010)"

Why do so many people seem to measure success by how many students go on to university ? There are plenty of other options equally worthwhile to going to university but for some reason 'uni' is considered the be all and end all measurement of success.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
I asked Bozza for permission before posting, sorry - I didn't expect such a negative reaction..

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Good luck - looks a worthwhile project.

Just one thing - and this really annoys me :

"At the moment only 16% of pupils who are eligible for free school meals progress to university (Sutton Trust 2010)"

Why do so many people seem to measure success by how many students go on to university ? There are plenty of other options equally worthwhile to going to university but for some reason 'uni' is considered the be all and end all measurement of success.

I do agree with you. Speaking as a psychologist, I think the prevalence of these statistics is due to their availability - limited variables are collected that are easy to use as a measure of success, unfortunately.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
If you checked first you don't need to worry about the responses you get, though I suspect some are tongue in cheek regarding a certain thread on the board.

Hah yes. But these kind of responses are what make nsc so humorous to hang around.

I do think this is something that may appeal to some of the people on here though - it's not only a great cause, but an opportunity to develop coaching/facilitation skills. Most won't be interested in these roles, but hopefully this'll attract the attention of those who may be.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
parent gym:

how to smack properly - get those arm muscles built up.

running after them - running machines.

shouting room to get those vocal chords in good tone for shouting.

back machines, for bending up and picking up toys.

sense depravation chamber - for getting used to nights of no sleep.

could work - good luck!

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
This is run by a private ltd company with offices in Kensington High St. Pay the £50!!

Mind Gym, (the company you refer to), fund Parent Gym - using your argument any organisation receiving funding from commercial companies should be charged for asking for volunteers.

Guess that would rule out about 99%

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
This is run by a private ltd company with offices in Kensington High St. Pay the £50!!

Two points just to be clear on:

There's a difference between run and funded by. Parent Gym is privately funded - we don't seek out or rely on funding from the public or government. However, we organise and run ourselves. Again, I spoke to Bozza before posting.

Secondly, I'm a lifelong Brighton fan. I've lived around Brighton all my life. I'm a season ticket holder. And I know that this forum contains some incredible people, that our fan base is full of people ready and willing to make a difference. I volunteer for parent gym, I don't get paid for this. And I happen to think we can really bring benefits to parents in Brighton.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Hi everyone,

Reported.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here