Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ennui

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
From not caring that much a bit of depression is kicking in now. World cups remind me that 4 yrs of my life have suddenly disappeared and 4 yrs to wait for the next one. Oh well back to the Albion a perennial constant.
Anyone else still depressed ?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Think it is a far more open tournament at present also I do not rate Brazil at all.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I cheered up when I heard a very depressed and cheesed off Chris Waddle say " For four years now we have been trying to play like Spain and last night we did !"

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
What is depressing is that the next two World Cups (inquiries pending) will be in two countries, Russia and Qatar, that will never be able to match this and arguably shouldn't be hosting it in the first place. And if you're tempted to go, neither of them are good or fun places to visit or really hold much interest (a mate of mine is in Brazil at the moment, going to loads of games - not bothered about England - and is having the time of his life). It'll be at least 12 years before we have a World Cup tournament we can really enjoy and look forward to again (unless they give it to Australia instead of Qatar).

Last edited:

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
I say let's enjoy the emotional freedom of watching free-flowing, exciting attacking football without the shackles of England trying to grind out a result. I, for one, am really looking forward to watching the rest of the tournament. I think it's been a fantastic tournament so far.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 5, 2014
It doesn't have to be depressing. Try to emotionally detach yourself. What matters most is a feast of a wonderful sport-and the wonder of the event itself. I am actually looking forward to a few weeks without the media circus surrounding England, and not worrying about how results affect any nation I have a subjective interest in. I was briefly down about it, but, hey, it's twenty two men kicking a bag of air around a patch of grass- it doesn't matter- but we love it.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Club has always been far more important than country for me so no depression in the slightest.

The World Cup is all about enjoying great teams play great games of football free from the Sky fed hype that is the Premier League. I am absolutely loving the tournament so far and you should be, too.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
We're all different in how we ingest the drug that is association football. I shall probably rejoin proceedings at either the Final, or maybe the semi final stage.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
As a whole this tournament has been excellent so far.

England took one of their weakest sides in many a year and didn't do enough to progress out of their group. At least we didn't get an absolute raping from anyone, although Costa Rica could yet provide that moment. Expectations were low and therefore we've not really underperformed. The two sides we were worried about in the group have beaten us, but by a narrow margin in each instance.

I was disappointed and deflated after both England games to date but today when I watched Costa Rica ensure there was no mathematical possibility of England progressing I just felt relieved more than anything else.

That's five World Cups in a row we've made it to now, so at least we've been involved on a regular basis, which is more than a lot of nations can say. Our expectations are always raised beyond reality, even when we know we're fielding a weak side. How many of the England starting XI won anything last season? Joe Hart and... Oh.

But I digress. I have genuinely enjoyed all the games I've seen (I missed Iran v Nigeria and Japan v Greece) and there's been no shortage of drama and excitement, as a neutral. I just hope the contest can keep up this pace.

After the earlier game I'm wondering whether France have been underestimated. Brazil certainly don't seem to have clicked yet. The Dutch had one great game against a side who may as well have had nobody in goal and then were lucky to beat the lowest ranked team in the tournament. Argentina weren't entirely convincing in their only outing to date although no doubt we'll see a bit more from them in tomorrow's match up with Iran. The Germans were typically ruthless and it will be interesting to see how their remaining group games pan out. The World and European champions taking an absolute dicking and going out at the first opportunity was quite the talking point. So frankly, it's all WIDE OPEN right now. And that's what's so great about it.

Kevo's point about the next two World Cups is the more worrying thing for me. At least Russia will have games on at friendly times but I can't imagine it'll be a spectacle of a tournament given the country's backward nature. And as for Qatar, if it does happen (and I still think it won't) it will be dull as shit in a sanitised dry country with little interest in the sport.

Let's make the most of this fantastic competition and enjoy all the thrills it keeps serving up. Fair play to Brazil. In spite of the rioting and internal politics, they've put on a great show so far and I've thoroughly enjoyed it

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The football continues to impress, Brazil is the perfect venue for a World Cup, the encouraging thing is the attacking intent most of the sides have shown.

I agree that the next two tournaments promise little. It really was Australia's time in 2022, FIFA realy ****ed up by choosing Qatar.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Being eliminated spectacularly early has strangely helped. There is not a shred of doubt, we have been knocked out purely because we have not been good enough. No penalties. No poster boys being sent off. Straightforward footballing justice has prevailed.

The fact that this is all being played out against a superb tournament has definitely helped.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here