Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England - Not very good at football

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
I'm faintly bemused by the hair rending and finger pointing. Our national side is just, well, pretty poor. The only surprise to me was that we played quite well against Italy. The game last night was just our boys reverting to type.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I had fairly low expectations, but they didnt even reach that level...there didnt seem to be any sort of tactics, other than pushing ball forward, and hoping for the best.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Sadly true. Every major tournament we seem to be collectively lulled into this delusion that we can challenge. I had thought that this tournament was better and that a much needed dose of realism had kicked in but one semi-decent performance against Italy and the hysteria began all over again.

Simple truth. We are just not as good as we think we are.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
I had fairly low expectations, but they didnt even reach that level...there didnt seem to be any sort of tactics, other than pushing ball forward, and hoping for the best.

Sums it up sadly.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
If your national F.A. spends the thick end of a billion quid on a stadium, and then charges £750 for the basic coaching qualification ,it's not rocket science that Germany has 50, 000 coaches and we have 8, 000, and this is a major factor in our crapiness

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I do find the reaction rather strange today.

I thought we all went into this tournament knowing that we weren't anywhere near good enough to challenge, and getting through the Group seemed to be the absolute height of anyones hopes.

We then, as expected, find it very difficult to get out of the Group, but still manage to out-perform the last World Cup, when, with a much more hyped squad we were quite simply embarrassing.

Seems to me, like a lot of people were lying when they said expectations were zero going into this World Cup.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
If your national F.A. spends the thick end of a billion quid on a stadium, and then charges £750 for the basic coaching qualification ,it's not rocket science that Germany has 50, 000 coaches and we have 8, 000, and this is a major factor in our crapiness

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
There's two facts, which pretty much everyone in the country already knew going into the match

1. Our defence isn't as good as it used to be
2. If he gets a chance, Suarez will punish us

Bearing in mind those two facts, I really don't get why people are so surprised at the outcome, and all the hand wringing and teeth gnashing that goes with it.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I really don't see what all the fuss is about. Did anyone really expect us to get out of this group stage?

And all this talk of squeaking through with the help of Italy - I really can't see us beating Costa Rica.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Weve wanted to be as good as Spain for a while. Weve finally achieved it.

better - we've scored more. dont really understand all the bed wetting, we weren't going in with high expectations, a difficult group, we've played well but been narrowly beaten by two decent sides.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
better - we've scored more. dont really understand all the bed wetting, we weren't going in with high expectations, a difficult group, we've played well but been narrowly beaten by two decent sides.

My expectations were really low..but we didnt even reach those expectations.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Although the results are disappointing are we really that surprised? We have lost to 2 teams higher than us in the rankings and put in a reasonable performance but despite the lowered expectations many in this country still seem to thing we are sitting at the top table of football. If international football were league based I dont think we would be in the top league and yesterdays game struck me very much like a game from the FA Cup 3rd round. We were the plucky underdog giving it our all but simply lacking the ability of the top teams.

Going through the England team it is difficult to make offer alternatives that would be technically better but from 1 to 11 they are simply not good enough to challenge the top team consistantly. There are no scape dogs the team is just not good enough and I dont' see much improvement to come. I can sit there and watch England games almost predicting every moves before they come this is not the case with many teams we are so predicatable.

I do not expect anything from England over the next few years but I do want to see some progress in the right direction.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here