Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

And probably not in the next 50 years.

beakyburn

Aug 15, 2012
Was 15 years old in 1966. An era when football in England was with players from the British isles. Now it is all about money, money, money. The FA, UEFA and FIFA. I have seen England win a World Cup. The rest of you youngsters on here wont!

Was 15 years old in 1966. An era when football in England was with players from the British isles. Now it is all about money, money, money. The FA, UEFA and FIFA. I have seen England win a World Cup. The rest of you youngsters on here wont!

I was only 7 but apart from that can't disagree with any of the above.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I was 20 and hoping to see another one. But I guess I won't. I've watched my team play in the first division of the Football League. The good news is, I will probably see them play in the sorry excuse of the modern day equivalent, in the next couple of years.

Johnnyboy

Sep 25, 2010
North Hampshire

YES!! As a very happy 9 year old I watched England beat Germany on a black and white TV :thumbsup: (posh for Whitehawk then!) And since then I have gradually come to realise that it was not a given that England would win or indeed qualify for every tournament. :( So why did i have so much hope at the beginning of this world cup? ??? You think we would be old enough to know better. :lolol:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
The sad thing for me is that with every passing World Cup/Euros, I have less and less enthusiasm for the national side. We get the English media going totally overboard for a few tournaments until this one where it was all a bit reverse psychology lack of hype. The problem is, that no matter what approach is used in the build up somebody forgets to tell the players that they are in a knock out competition and 100% effort and commitment is needed by them all.

I'll always want England to win but now I don't get upset or annoyed when the inevitable embarrassing exit comes.

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
only 6 teams have won the World Cup since 1966
will we be amongst the 6 or so that will win in the next 50 years?
probably not but neither will another 200 nations
not to say it is not possible just unlikely and the usual suspects
have a better chance .

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
Brazil and Germany have been to 7 finals
Italy 6
Argentina 4
England 1
there was a time in 70's and early 80's
when our club sides did very well in Europe
without so many foreign stars ( a fair few decent scots at the time)
and our international results could /should have been better
but taking our historical record overall
the real mystery is why people feel we are anything other than outsiders
at international football tournaments

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
I'd have a bet on England not winning the World Cup during the remainder of my lifetime but I wouldn't be around to collect my winnings.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
only 6 teams have won the World Cup since 1966
will we be amongst the 6 or so that will win in the next 50 years?
probably not but neither will another 200 nations
not to say it is not possible just unlikely and the usual suspects
have a better chance .

But it's not even about winning it is it? The question should be - 'will we make the semi finals or quarter finals in the next 50 years' because we've strugged to even manage that since Italia 90 or Euro 96 (almost 20 years ago now).

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
But it's not even about winning it is it? The question should be - 'will we make the semi finals or quarter finals in the next 50 years' because we've strugged to even manage that since Italia 90 or Euro 96 (almost 20 years ago now).

thought the thread was about our chances of winning the cup in the next 50 years
hopefully we can have a better tournament than the last 2
even though we got further I thought we were worse 4 years ago
Rooney was certainly worse in South Africa

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

and we struggled in the 20-30 years before that:
1970 quaters
1974 didnt qualify
1978 didnt qualify
1982 2nd round
1986 quaters

basically our win and semi-final, 30 years apart, are exceptions. i dont mind the "failure" to achieve so much, its the hype and handwringing in the media that get me. this time they avoided the hype but still couldnt resist the slagging off stsge, even tough we played two good game where we constantly looked like a threat and kept ourselfs in the game.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
With English players making up less than one third of Premier League teams the chances of building a world class national team seem quite limited. This and the lack of players progressing from U21 to senior level reduce the chances of finding quality international players.
I heard that seven of the current German team came through the U21s.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Four of England's starting line up Thursday night played Champions league football last season. We will never win a World Cup or the Euro's all the time this is the case. To much money, not enough passion. Some of the so called lesser nations put us to shame with there effort and desire. Quite frankly we are pathetic.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
The sad thing for me is that with every passing World Cup/Euros, I have less and less enthusiasm for the national side. We get the English media going totally overboard for a few tournaments until this one where it was all a bit reverse psychology lack of hype. The problem is, that no matter what approach is used in the build up somebody forgets to tell the players that they are in a knock out competition and 100% effort and commitment is needed by them all.

I'll always want England to win but now I don't get upset or annoyed when the inevitable embarrassing exit comes.
I can see where you're coming from, but for me I'm always excited for every big international tournament. You have to support through the good and the bad times but it is painful that a lot of the players are seemingly very lacking in skill/desire compared to the others.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Four of England's starting line up Thursday night played Champions league football last season. We will never win a World Cup or the Euro's all the time this is the case. To much money, not enough passion. Some of the so called lesser nations put us to shame with there effort and desire. Quite frankly we are pathetic.

How many of Costa Rica's side played Champions League football? They seem to have put Italy and Uruguay away, and it wasn't undeserved either.

I don't think it's about lack of effort or desire once the World Cup actually comes around; however, I'm certain that English players (and their club managers) don't prioritise international get togethers and friendlies to an extent that would enable the England manager to get a side fully organised.

Last edited:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I can see where you're coming from, but for me I'm always excited for every big international tournament. You have to support through the good and the bad times but it is painful that a lot of the players are seemingly very lacking in skill/desire compared to the others.

I'm not convinced it's the skill they lack it's just the FA won't let them use the desire they use in league games. When you look at the likes of Gerrard, Rooney and Sturridge they are constantly on the ear of the ref during the league season but as soon as the England shirt goes on they're gagged and shackled.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I'm not convinced it's the skill they lack it's just the FA won't let them use the desire they use in league games. When you look at the likes of Gerrard, Rooney and Sturridge they are constantly on the ear of the ref during the league season but as soon as the England shirt goes on they're gagged and shackled.
Perhaps, but we lack world class players like Suarez don't we? Whenever we get a good chance the chances are we'll **** it up imo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here