Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time the F.A sorted this out

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Yes - I know it ain't gonna happen but the problem is only 35% of the Premiership players are English. I wouldn't mind so much if 15 or 20 top English players played in Serie A, La Liga, or the Bundesliga, but they don't. I'm struggling to think on 1 English player who plays in a top European league other than our own. I wonder why?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Yes - I know it ain't gonna happen but the problem is only 35% of the Premiership players are English. I wouldn't mind so much if 15 or 20 top English players played in Serie A, La Liga, or the Bundesliga, but they don't. I'm struggling to think on 1 English player who plays in a top European league other than our own. I wonder why?

Because, according to the media, we have the best league in the world.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
With another poor England display is it time for the F.A to restrict the number of overseas players flooding our game?

It is not possible under current law to restrict the employment of any EU national. There are restrictions on non-EU players in that they usually need to be international class to get a work permit; however this is easy to get around by finding a Portuguese or Spanish granny and qualifying for an EU passport - this is how Ulloa can play for us.

D

Deleted member 22389

The italian and spanish leagues might not have to most money, or same status as the Premier league, what they do have in their favour is a better climate, better diet, and a good selection of south americans playing in their league.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The FA will not do a thing. Just like they did not do a thing after the abject rubbish which was served up at the last Euros, and SA, and the Euros before that, and Germany 2006 etc etc. The English set up is rotten to the core and all the time supporters lap up Sky TV and continue this blind support for the national team and all the while clubs pay utterly ridiculous amounts of money to very very average players nothing will change.

I've been saying this for 12 years now.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
The same thing happens after every failure at every tournament, nothing changes and this time will be no different.
The fact we have the FA, the premier league and the football league all with vested interests make it impossible to implement any changes.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The same thing happens after every failure at every tournament, nothing changes and this time will be no different.
The fact we have the FA, the premier league and the football league all with vested interests make it impossible to implement any changes.

This.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
It doesn't matter, the FA ceased to control football in this country a long time ago. The Premier League wouldn't stand for it.

The only way this would ever happen is if the PL started losing money as a result of the national team's poor performance, I don't really see that happening any time soon.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Time the F.A sorted this out - was 20/15/10/5/3 years ago.

Why would you think anything different is going to happen over the next 3/5/10/15/20 years.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
With another poor England display is it time for the F.A to restrict the number of overseas players flooding our game?

Agree 100%. We should vastly reduce the number of non-European players NOW and when we leave the EU we can do the same with European players.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
You know what, I am pretty pleased with England's progress. Yes we haven't won anything, but we have attack-minded youngsters that are trying to play the right way. The only shame is that we have an aging and rubbish defence.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

Won't make any difference and in fact playing alongside top quality foreign players should improve our English players, The problem we have is as soon as a player puts on an England shirt it's like they become shackled and have to play and act in a certain way almost like we are expected to be the gentlemen of the game. Until such time as those shackles are released and players are allowed to be themselves then we're not going to see them carry their club form on to the international stage.

Brighton Ark

Jan 18, 2010
The Premiership is now a global brand and I don't think it gives a toss about the country in which it is located. Many of the Premiership clubs have lost their identity in relation to them being English Clubs and there I believe is the problem. It's like buying an old old house, knocking it down and building a new one. It's a quick and easy way to get round much of the red tape.

Wealthy investors are using the old traditional clubs as vehicles to enter the promised land and all at the expense of our beloved English game. Maybe we should be looking to farm off the premiership and use the league structure below to bring back some English pride.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
The number of foreign player in the PL (and the Championship for that matter) is not the cause of the problem but simply the symptoms.

Some other countries create enough good players that they don't need to import better foreign ones.

Get rid of all foreign players from the PL and you won't have a better England team but you will have a worse standard of football in the PL, this will end up making things worse.

We don't have the same football culture as some countries, by that I mean that kids here have arguably more varied interests other than football - Rugby, Hockey, etc. and music, and other non-sports related interests as well as more focus on academia etc. - all of which are good things but it does "reduce" the pool of those kids interested in football. Go to many countries and football is all they do, they don't necessarily have the resources/interests in things other than football.

The problem is what we do (or don't do) with the kids that ARE into football and that starts at school. Too many (and this has been said many times before) kids that are taught to hoof the ball to the bigger kids and see who can kick the ball the hardest or who is best at dribbling around 8 players and scoring a wonder goal.

If the F.A. really want to make a proper difference they need to address this - no full sized pitches until late school age, focus on skill/teamplay/passing/technique rather than power, stop overzealous parents at games giving negative advice/shouting etc. More investments in proper coaches (Germany/Spain have something like TEN times as many fully qualified coaches as England does), more youth academies teaching the kids the better way to play football and so on.

The issue is the same with English clubs as well as the national team, people (well, "fans") seem to want to attack all the symptoms rather than the causes, many mistake the latter for the former too.

It's not all bad though, there are some impressive young English players in the game currently (Sterling, Barkley, Lallana etc.), just not enough of them.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
The cream always rises to the top, unfortunately we have very little cream.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
No, it's time to review the grass roots and kids coaching standards to ensure that kids are being taught better and that those standards carry on right the way through the professional game.

Surely the idea should be to bring young English players up to the standard of foreign ones, not remove the foreigners so that English players have less competition for places and so can stroll into teams that they would otherwise not be good enough for?

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
Rather than restricting overseas players playing in England we should be encouraging English players and managers to go out and play in Europe. Players getting experience of different playing styles, climates, coaching methods etc would only help England in major tournaments. As mentioned this won't happen due to ridiculous money in the Premiership. The fact a pretty average player like Tom Ince has turned down a move to Inter Milan and is now apparently in talks with QPR is a joke.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I think over the last 12 months they have started to do something, granted it came far too late but a massive review of kids coaching and the introduction of the new FA training facility at St George's Park will help.

For years kids have been forced to play on massive pitches with huge goals hence our game has become less and less about technical ability and more about getting the ball up the pitch. We don't have the required ability to compete at the top level currently and that's being addressed as grass roots level.

The problem is because it took the FA so long to act this isn't an overnight fix, it's going to take a few years before we see the changes in the game at a youth level.

As for those blaming too many foreign importa I don't think that is the issue, managers do not progress enough young players at the top level simply because they aren't good enough. Granted some clubs like Chelsea and Man City have very poor records of bringing youth team players through but others such as Southampton, Spurs and Everton are prepared to give players that are good enough chance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here