Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tonight was a reminder there isn't enough English talent coming through...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Some good young players coming through, but lets not fool ourselves. The PL is a great training ground for foreigners but not good for our national side. The one good thing about an early exit is the cracks can't be papered over..

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Problem is we haven't got the talent in this country at the moment.

I know there are too many foreign players in the Prem but the bottom line is if the players were good enough they would break through.

It's going to take 8-10 years before the changes in youth team coaching and training will come to fruition

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
When in the Premier League, average players (on an international level) are able to earn £150k per week or more we're never going to win anything

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
coaching, coaching, coaching

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

I know there are too many foreign players in the Prem but the bottom line is if the players were good enough they would break through.

It's going to take 8-10 years before the changes in youth team coaching and training will come to fruition

Young English players will never break through all the while cheaper imports are available. You know football is screwing itself when clubs like The Albion look overseas for players they can afford because home grown talent is too expensive.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I think when you are competing with players from the whole world and there is no limit on foreign players it will always be hard for English players to break though

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
When in the Premier League, average players (on an international level) are able to earn £150k per week or more we're never going to win anything

Totally agree-players who have not even made a first team appearance get £1Million a year illustrate just what English football's priorities are. Money and nothing else matters.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Current coaching is the problem in my opinion.

It's all out of a book! There is no individuality any more.

Take a FA coaching course, and you will see that amongst some half decent coaches, there are a load who have never played the game, couldn't play the game, yet follow a set of instructions in a book and you can have your coaching badges. If it's not in the FA approved book, its not allowed!

So the young kids are getting their first taste of coaching from people who have never played the game higher than Sunday league division 8. Even at the Albion's schools, their are people coaching who have never played the game higher than park football.

But my opinion for the lack of talent in this country, amongst others, is there is far too much money in the game.

All the time the Premier league has the money it has and can spend it without control, you may as well write off the England team.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
U20 World Cup 2013. We finish bottom of a group involving Egypt, Iraq and Chile. I don't see things getting much better any time soon.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Also, as I said on the match thread, you get hardly any English or other British players playing for top Continental sides. Yes, there's the odd one like Bale, but a good number - Hoddle, Waddle, Lineker, Platt,etc, used to. Losing Walcott was a bitter blow, but I agree, there are some good, but very few world class players coming through our system.

We have had a better squad than we have for a long time but we didn't have Hannibal playing for us!! But on a serious note; money talks and sky make the calls...English players don't have enuff flair!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
You can lay the blame at the feet of Rupert Murdoch.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
The gokeeping position is where it really stands out. Hart has no real competition. Just 4 Premiership sides had an English keeper as first choice last season (Fulham only later on) and two of them (Fulham and Norwich) we're relegated. Sure he was at fault for Ronaldinho's free kick in 2002, but Seaman was steets ahead of Hart and look at the keepers we had. Yes we had a bad period with only Chris Woods at the top, but he had a hard act to follow on from Peter Shilton.

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
I would support a limit of foreign players in English clubs that would see a higher ratio of English players. Who really gives a fu#k? English football needs to evolve.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here