Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why are there so many AFRICAN teams in the World Cup ?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
740 million people in Europe - 12 teams
1.1 billion people in Africa - 5 teams

True, but the European teams are generally far better. I guess it depends whether you want a tournament involving the world, or a tournament involving the best.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Cameroon have reached the Quarter Finals. Ghana were denied a Semi Final slot by Suarez hand. Nigeria have reached the second round twice. Algeria were denied progress in that famous Austria v Germany debacle.

As for Sweden they have only got beyond the group stages twice in the last 40 years...

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Fair enough but how many go to watch football matches regularly per capita?

Granted, I've only been to one country, but without fail, you would see kids all over Malawi playing football with jumpers for goal posts and balls made of plastic bags tied together with string. They would do nothing else than play football.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
True, but the European teams are generally far better. I guess it depends whether you want a tournament involving the world, or a tournament involving the best.

I suppose the clue's in the name of the competition!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The World Cup is a trade off between a competition of the world's best teams and showcasing the sport. I think the balance is about right.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Granted, I've only been to one country, but without fail, you would see kids all over Malawi playing football with jumpers for goal posts and balls made of plastic bags tied together with string. They would do nothing else than play football.
Fine, so does qualification depend on how many kids play football with jumpers for goal posts and balls made of plastic bags tied together with string or which are the best teams to compete in a world cup?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here