Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Controversial, but, should kids be playing football at this time of year?

paul wickens

Wicko1
Dec 23, 2011
I don't mind the odd kick about, but what I object to is the organised training sessions, 6-a-side tournaments, academy development trials etc.
The Football season is long enough as it is. September until April is plenty of time to train and play. Kids should do summer sports in the summer months, cricket, cycling, tennis, athletics etc.
I have seen too many promising footballers aged 8 become burnt out by 15 because they have played too much and are bored with the game.

D

Deleted member 18477

I bet Messi and Ronaldo played football 12 months of the year...

Practice makes perfect.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I don't mind the odd kick about, but what I object to is the organised training sessions, 6-a-side tournaments, academy development trials etc.
The Football season is long enough as it is. September until April is plenty of time to train and play. Kids should do summer sports in the summer months, cricket, cycling, tennis, athletics etc.
I have seen too many promising footballers aged 8 become burnt out by 15 because they have played too much and are bored with the game.

I am not sure if too many young players get burnt out, most decide to stop or not fulfill potential anyway ( especially in the parents eyes ), for various reasons.

But I agree with your sentiment, I think it is healthy and agreeable to enjoy a whole mix of sports and we should deliver an exciting calender of sports generally dictated for by the seasons, it seems a healthy approach to me.

Ultimately new and a mix bag of enjoyable sports/experiences should help any child's focus sports as well.

i don't mind the odd kick about, but what i object to is the organised training sessions, 6-a-side tournaments, academy development trials etc.
The football season is long enough as it is. September until april is plenty of time to train and play. Kids should do summer sports in the summer months, cricket, cycling, tennis, athletics etc.

i think they need a break jan/feb would be good

ezzoud

Jul 5, 2003
I agree with you 100% - I've had to cancel/rearrange junior cricket matches in June/July due to football tournaments - you've had 8 months of playing, have a rest , do something else in the summer. Don't think I'd get much support if I suggested football be cancelled one weekend in January due to a cricket match.

Junior rugby manages to not play between May and August and I don't think it adversely affects the skills of the players at all - possibly the opposite.

It's all consuming-ness is one of the reasons football isn't as good as it used to be - rant over.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
Controversial but why not choose the sport you are better at and stick to that? then you can play football all year, cricket all year or rugby all year. The days of having a player that is good enough to play dual sports has long gone

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Controversial but why not choose the sport you are better at and stick to that? then you can play football all year, cricket all year or rugby all year. The days of having a player that is good enough to play dual sports has long gone

Because there aren't enough people playing the sports. My daughter's got her first cricket practice of the season as there haven't been enough to make it worthwhile until now and my son's team struggles to get a complete complement of players - and that's without the distraction of other sports. Run regular football and rugby games besides the cricket and we'd never get a side out.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
certainly younger kids should stop football to explore other "summer" sports. maybe at some point in the teens they focus on football (or other) all year round.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
In life everything in moderation. I used to run a football team and used to have a complete break from training. It is good though to go experience a few 6 a sides in the summer. It is a good day out for kids and parents to mix in a fun atmosphere. It certainly holds the team together and as a manager it is a good opportunity to get to know the parents.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
if you don't love the game so much that it's in your blood then you will never get anywhere in the game....sorry.

There was this kid called Andy Murray who was good at tennis and football as a kid and played both to a high level before concentrating on tennis. Shame he didn't concentrate on tennis from an early age, he could have done something in the game.

:facepalm:

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Kids should be encouraged to play and take part in all types of sports at any time of year. If a kid wants to play football let them but it's always worth supporting and encouraging them try other sports.
When I was a lad my dad encouraged me and my brother to try everything going.
Sid minor turned out to be a decent footballer whilst I, being a crap footballer, moved over to egg ball and cricket.

Small boys in the park, jumpers for goalposts. Rush goalie. Two at the back, three in the middle, four up front, one's gone home for his tea. Beans on toast? Possibly, don't quote me on that. Marvellous.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
With the poor state of junior pitches and the poor weather with have mid-winter personally to help with the development of our children playing football I'd prefer junior football played over two seasons a year. Starting September to end of November and March to end of June. Better conditions with some grass on the pitches, maybe!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
There was this kid called Andy Murray who was good at tennis and football as a kid and played both to a high level before concentrating on tennis. Shame he didn't concentrate on tennis from an early age, he could have done something in the game.

oh yeh you would pull the old one in a million shot out .......**** off with yer :facepalm: an all ......Ronaldo , Messi , Neymar , Toure , Essien , Robben , Ronaldhino , Figo etc......they were all shit hot at tennis too ..........div...!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
These kids should stop enjoying themselves outdoors, go indoors and do their homework.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009

Diego Forlan could have become a professional tennis player, but chose football as he thought it would make more money more quickly to help pay for medical costs for his disabled sister

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
i think the main issue could be that if people play football all year round then the other sports could see members drop as the kids wont/cant commit to both

however, over recent years the weather has affected football matches so badly, it almost seems a shame to waste the summer months without playing football on a pitch that isn't a bog

fence

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here