Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best and Worst Pundit Awards . . so far

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm not sure about the best, but Ferdinand knows his onions and is certainly decent. I love Savage's enthusiasm on the radio, it certainly suits him a lot better than TV.

On the television, absolutely delighted to see Simon Brotherton and Guy Mowbray getting the big gigs, and both are soooo much better than the BBC old guard (Motty and Davies) and millions of times more palatable than the morons on ITV.

Worst, the dreadful Townsend/Clive Tyldesley double act. ITV's saving grace are Lee Dixon and Glenn Hoddle.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I'm not sure about the best, but Ferdinand knows his onions and is certainly decent. I love Savage's enthusiasm on the radio, it certainly suits him a lot better than TV.

On the television, absolutely delighted to see Simon Brotherton and Guy Mowbray getting the big gigs, and both are soooo much better than the BBC old guard (Motty and Davies) and millions of times more palatable than the morons on ITV.

Worst, the dreadful Townsend/Clive Tyldesley double act. ITV's saving grace are Lee Dixon and Glenn Hoddle.

Basically this - except for the emboldened bit. I was listening to him on the radio for the Holland v Australia game. He sounded like a caricature. "Right, Robbie - we know you're a passionate chap, let's hear lots of that on the radio. Scream a bit, and make silly noises. Forget any idea of describing the game in detail nor using your limited vocabulary, just pretend someone's trod on your toe..."

I believe Alan Shearer can be better in the company of the likes of Henry and Seedorf, rather than in the previously dire triumverate of him, Lawrenson and Hansen.

Lee Dixon is excellent, Danny Murphy is pretty good, Rio is interesting and erudite.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I thought yesterdays coverage was pretty good including both Danny Murphy and Clarke Carlisle.
Other highlights were Patrick Viera describing Tim Cahill's foul as a Roy Keane tackle which Martin O'Neill didn't like, and Thierry Henry refusing to predict a result as he always gets it wrong.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Tyledsley and Carlisle winning the borefest for me.

Loved listening to Jimmy Armfield, even when he was rambling on about the 1962 Wordl Cup, he was still more entertaining than most of the modern lot.

Has anyone had any joy with the red button ? In theory this brings back the old trick, of TV pictures, plus radio commentary. In practice it doesn't work for ITV at all, so there is no alternative to their terrible commentary. Next up whilst it works on the BBC, for some reason on BBC1 HD, you end up with Radio 5 commentary plus an SD picture. I have no idea why this should be, because the other day there was some dick from Radio1 Scott someone (think Beavis and Butthead but somehow less funny), providing an "alternative" commentary and this one had an HD picture.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Given the poor level of both the ITV and BBC teams, I now only tune in at kick off time and hit mute.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Rio Ferdinand has merked himself and is diabolical. Clarke Carlisle is equally terrible.

Lawrenson makes me laugh, he obviously hates football, and footballers.

Pearce: What a game Mark, chances everywhere, superb football"
Lawro: "Dont care, **** off"

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I have to congratulate ITV on assembling one of the worst pundit/presenter/commentator line-ups in the history of World Cup coverage.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Few negatives on Clarke Carlisle. Maybe just me but I thought he was decent. Knew when to chip in and didnt ram his opinions down throats . I personally found him pleasing on the ear

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Robbie Savage is by far the worst for me. Completely ruined the USA/Ghana game by constantly moaning about everything and trying to turn anything into a ****ing 606 debate.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Tyledsley and Carlisle winning the borefest for me.

Loved listening to Jimmy Armfield, even when he was rambling on about the 1962 Wordl Cup, he was still more entertaining than most of the modern lot.

Has anyone had any joy with the red button ? In theory this brings back the old trick, of TV pictures, plus radio commentary. In practice it doesn't work for ITV at all, so there is no alternative to their terrible commentary. Next up whilst it works on the BBC, for some reason on BBC1 HD, you end up with Radio 5 commentary plus an SD picture. I have no idea why this should be, because the other day there was some dick from Radio1 Scott someone (think Beavis and Butthead but somehow less funny), providing an "alternative" commentary and this one had an HD picture.

I tried the red button last night but as you said the picture quality was poor so ended up switching back.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Danny Murphy was good last night. Seedorf has got a lot of potential if he could get a word in. Actually quite impressed by Lineker too - makes you realise how stupid MOTD has become

Wish O'Neill would just SHUT UP

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here