Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Squirrel v Cat

Excuse quality but this was taken yesterday throught the kitchen window on my phone

IMG_20140617_144601573.jpg

Cat watched squirrel from under cover for a while before creeping up on it, I watched fascinated wondering what was going to happen next. Squirrel looked up and saw cat, stared it straight in the eye in a "..come and have a go if you think you're hard enough..." sort of way and then continued munching activities whilst cat continued to watch. After a while the squirrel lost interest, jumped on to a branch and was off. Question to cat fans - who usually wins in these situations?

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Well considering cats eat mice, and assuming that squirrels are basically large rodents with a bushy tail, I'd have to side with the feline. However, the squirrel does have height advantage if it chooses to launch an attack from above. It depends on how tame the kitty is, and how hungry it is.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
My young female cat used to chase squirrells when she was a ktitten,they used to run from her,so perhaps she would win,however,a grey rat,can do damage,but if he met my young male kitten,1 year old,well lets just say he bites,and hard too.

Had many cats and none bites like my latest one.

Hugo Rune

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Cats are bullys. They won't pile in unless they know they will win.....easily. Cats meet their match when they **** with foxes. The owner only finds out their cat has has met a fox when they find the decapitated cat head rolling around their garden. Foxes and squirrels are hard as ****. Leave well alone my feline friends.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Great picture btw :thumbsup:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Excuse quality but this was taken yesterday throught the kitchen window on my phone

View attachment 55197

Cat watched squirrel from under cover for a while before creeping up on it, I watched fascinated wondering what was going to happen next. Squirrel looked up and saw cat, stared it straight in the eye in a "..come and have a go if you think you're hard enough..." sort of way and then continued munching activities whilst cat continued to watch. After a while the squirrel lost interest, jumped on to a branch and was off. Question to cat fans - who usually wins in these situations?

our Harriet caught two while we were in Wales
she has become rather indolent of late though
it really depends on how fast the cat is and whether they like hieghts

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Cats are bullys. They won't pile in unless they know they will win.....easily. Cats meet their match when they **** with foxes. The owner only finds out their cat has has met a fox when they find the decapitated cat head rolling around their garden. Foxes and squirrels are hard as ****. Leave well alone my feline friends.

Pussy cats maybe,fully grown adult agressive male cats,will leave a foe with injury,perhaps blind for life,after they have stood there ground,perhaps they (the cat) will be killed in the process,but claws can be devastaing,an confrontation needs to be swift for any aggressor taking on the wrong cat..

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

absolute tosh
you never met our Ginger Vincent
he would take on anything and I mean anything
we have the vets bills to prove it

cats might not be good fighters ........but cowards never

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
my cats don't go for animals anymore, but one likes to sit on my neighbour's roof and meow really loudly at me when I'm seen.

Hugo Rune

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Pussy cats maybe,fully grown adult agressive male cats,will leave a foe with injury,perhaps blind for life,after they have stood there ground,perhaps they (the cat) will be killed in the process,but claws can be devastaing,an confrontation needs to be swift for any aggressor taking on the wrong cat..

I agree. Dogs/Foxes/other predators will only fight a cat properly if they are intending to eat it or if they've caught it unawares by the the scruff avoiding the claws and teeth shaking the beast to half death before sinking in the canines to end the feline's life.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I agree. Dogs/Foxes/other predators will only fight a cat properly if they are intending to eat it or if they've caught it unawares by the the scruff avoiding the claws and teeth shaking the beast to half death before sinking in the canines to end the feline's life.

Basically cats are small,and generally weaker than bigger animals,but as i said earlier,squirrells can do damage,i knew that if my young female kitten had one that would stand it's ground she could be in for a nasty shock,cats 9 times out of 10 should be beaten by a fox,but mr fox is a lovely animal and he knows full well,that sometimes when meeting the top cat,that it's wise to just let it be..

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing

Years ago, when I lived right in the centre of Worthing, I was woken one night by an awful yowling from the street. I looked out the window and saw one of my cats in the road, puffed up like you see in cartoons. Slinking away with its tail between its legs was a fox twice her size, so I don't buy that argument at all. By day, the cat in question was the doziest, soppiest creature I have had the pleasure to be unconditionally loved by.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Basically cats are small,and generally weaker than bigger animals,but as i said earlier,squirrells can do damage,i knew that if my young female kitten had one that would stand it's ground she could be in for a nasty shock,cats 9 times out of 10 should be beaten by a fox,but mr fox is a lovely animal and he knows full well,that sometimes when meeting the top cat,that it's wise to just let it be..

I was told by someone once that the fox knows full well that a cat has claws and teeth and that when they get into a fight can get really bad infections from the cat and eventually die from that infection

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012

Clearly you don't own a cat as your talking complete bollocks.
Had cats all my life and currently have 3 predominantly to keep the rats out as we live in a very rural location.

My black male cat loves squirrels and will always give chase and usually return triumphantly with dead squirrel carried back as a trophy and snack. He also likes rats, magpies, rabbits, crows, magpies and weasels. He's a complete thug who isn't happy until he's killed something. Any visitors who drop by with dogs will usually keep them shut in their car due to his delight in tearing them to shreds.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
[/B]I was told by someone once that the fox knows full well that a cat has claws and teeth and that when they get into a fight can get really bad infections from the cat and eventually die from that infection

It's a shame that they don't know how to cross roads,lost count of the really small baby foxes on the roadside lately,as for Foxy being aware,i'm sure they recognize the dangers cats can bring to the table,god forbid a few of the neighbourhood alley cats en masse too..

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
My cat has brought home all sorts; the worst being when my sister woke up to find a dead rabbit at the end of her bed. So if he spotted a squirrel, he'd definitely have a good go at catching it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here