it was getting very boring

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Iberian tippy-tappy football
back to the cut and thrust of northern European football
thank god
it was getting very boring

What simplistic nonsense.

This Spanish team had run it's course. After 2 European championships and one World Cup, it's not really surprising, and they have done it with some sublime football.

Didn't an excellent Italian side's possession football beat our cut and thrust the other day?

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
The END of ENDLESS meaningless passes across the back four with no end result, at last we may now get some EXCITING proper football

???

This could be the beginning of something that never even started.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
What simplistic nonsense.

This Spanish team had run it's course. After 2 European championships and one World Cup, it's not really surprising, and they have done it with some sublime football.

Didn't an excellent Italian side's possession football beat our cut and thrust the other day?

Italy and Spain play completely different styles of possession football, Italy constantly threaten down the flanks whilst the Spanish tika taka style is all about intricate passes in very tight areas, looking to make the incisive killer pass for a tap in.

Commander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 28, 2004
London
The END of ENDLESS meaningless passes across the back four with no end result, at last we may now get some EXCITING proper football

Yep, no end result whatsoever (apart from the most successful international team of all time).

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Shhhhhh,people are reading,might even generate a form of atmosphere next season too..

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
The relevant section of my post on the match thread:

All this, mitigating factors aside, makes me wonder why some on here are upset that we might see an end to the Spanish style under Hyypia. I'm not going to name names or go in for personal stuff, but there are a few posters I can think of in this category. I just think we need to be much more adaptable, particularly in a hard league like the Championship. Did Clement turn us down when he was first choice, I wonder, or did TB decide during the recruitment process that we needed something different?

Yes, but an attacking side though, not one from the old go 1-0 up then park the bus model. And ironically England were undone by an old fashioned English-style goal. Wanting an end to tika-taka/tippy tappy does NOT mean one wishes to see Allardyce football. Look at Germany and the Netherlands. That is the sort of play I would like us to go for under Hyypia. No, we don't have players of that quality, but at least it's something we can aspire to. Then we didn't have players of that quality to properly play the Spanish style either.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Italy and Spain play completely different styles of possession football, Italy constantly threaten down the flanks whilst the Spanish tika taka style is all about intricate passes in very tight areas, looking to make the incisive killer pass for a tap in.

it's hardly 'Cut and thrust' though is it?

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
The relevant section of my post on the match thread:

All this, mitigating factors aside, makes me wonder why some on here are upset that we might see an end to the Spanish style under Hyypia. I'm not going to name names or go in for personal stuff, but there are a few posters I can think of in this category. I just think we need to be much more adaptable, particularly in a hard league like the Championship. Did Clement turn us down when he was first choice, I wonder, or did TB decide during the recruitment process that we needed something different?

Yes, but an attacking side though, not one from the old go 1-0 up then park the bus model. And ironically England were undone by an old fashioned English-style goal. Wanting an end to tika-taka/tippy tappy does NOT mean one wishes to see Allardyce football. Look at Germany and the Netherlands. That is the sort of play I would like us to go for under Hyypia. No, we don't have players of that quality, but at least it's something we can aspire to. Then we didn't have players of that quality to properly play the Spanish style either.

I thought we were undone by poor defending! ;)

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Don't think you will see the end of tiki-taka, it will however evolve to a faster more attacking style so less slow build and more exciting....bring it on!!!!

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I'm not sure I said it was?

no you didn't, apologies, that's a reference to the OP which was what made me post. Just seems daft (for the OP) to write off an entire style of football on the basis of a team, reaching the end of their dominance.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
End of a golden age, I know some are finding comedy in the whole thing but I think it's quite sad in a way, a truly fantastic team & to win 3 major tournaments in a row is a fantastic achievement.

Fair play to em, but the time has come for the football world to crown a new king.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
Spain are still the only side England have beaten on penalties. And now it's impossible to beat them on penalties in this tournament...

I also liked the way the BBC summed them going out in the Group stage up...

Screen Shot 2014-06-18 at 22.05.26.png

no I did though
he obviously has not been watching the Netherlands team and last time I looked they were in Northern Europe

With all due respect Glas, you haven't been watching any of Brightons football.

Listening on the radio maybe but NOT watching.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here