Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Permutations in England's group

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It seems to me that a draw against Uruguay might not be a total disaster for England, although it would be for Uruguay.

Assuming we draw tomorrow, that would leave us 3rd, level on points with Uruguay but with a better GD. In a nutshell, that would simply mean it is likely that a win over Costa Rica would see us through. The only way that isn't the case is:

a) if Costa Rica beat Italy in their second round game. Anything else, and we'd finish above them by beating them (head-to-head trumps goal diff and goals scored). If that happens, we'd be praying for Uruguay to beat Italy final game, all teams to finish on 4 points and England's goal diff to be good enough to finish in the top two.
b) if Uruguay beat Italy by a margin of 2+ goals better than England beat Costa Rica
c) if Uruguay beat Italy by a margin of one goal better than England beat Costa Rica, and score more goals in the process.

I don't see any of a, b or c happening and a draw would be OK for us, but terrible for Uruguay.

Have I got that right or am I missing something?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
The ranking of each team in each group shall be determined as follows:

a) greatest number of points obtained in all the group matches;
b) goal difference in the group matches;
c) greatest number of goals scored in the group matches.

If two or more teams are equal on the basis of the above three criteria, their ranking will be determined as follows:

d) greatest number of points obtained in the group matches between the teams concerned;
e) goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams concerned;
f) greater number of goals scored in all group matches between the teams concerned;
g) drawing of lots by the FIFA Organising Committee.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It seems to me that a draw against Uruguay might not be a total disaster for England, although it would be for Uruguay.

Assuming we draw tomorrow, that would leave us 3rd, level on points with Uruguay but with a better GD. In a nutshell, that would simply mean it is likely that a win over Costa Rica would see us through. The only way that isn't the case is:

a) if Costa Rica beat Italy in their second round game. Anything else, and we'd finish above them by beating them (head-to-head trumps goal diff and goals scored). If that happens, we'd be praying for Uruguay to beat Italy final game, all teams to finish on 4 points and England's goal diff to be good enough to finish in the top two.
b) if Uruguay beat Italy by a margin of 2+ goals better than England beat Costa Rica
c) if Uruguay beat Italy by a margin of one goal better than England beat Costa Rica, and score more goals in the process.

I don't see any of a, b or c happening and a draw would be OK for us, but terrible for Uruguay.

Have I got that right or am I missing something?

Best permutation is for England to win their next two matches. If we are good enough to do that we go through, if not, I'm not bothered with the minutiae of just trying to hang in The World Cup for the sake of it.

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
Best permutation is for England to win their next two matches. If we are good enough to do that we go through, if not, I'm not bothered with the minutiae of just trying to hang in The World Cup for the sake of it.

Why not state the obvious :D Correct me if I'm wrong but Simster is just trying to evaluate all the options, not whether we are good / bad enough or if you are bothered.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So this is the revised scenario:

a) If Costa Rica beat Italy in their second round game. If that happens, we couldn't overhaul them and would need Italy to fail to beat Uruguay final game. And unless Uruguay win that one, we would actually need to win against Costa Rica by at least 2 goals .
b) Costa Rica draw with Italy. We'd then need to beat them by at least 2 goals to overtake Costa Rica. That would do it, as long as Uruguay don't win by 4+ goals against Italy.
c) if Uruguay beat Italy by a margin of 2+ goals better than England beat Costa Rica
d) if Uruguay beat Italy by a margin of one goal better than England beat Costa Rica, and score more goals in the process.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i think we may well beat uruguay .....costa rica i ain't too sure....they seem to be a very quick , attacking team......i would love to see us qualify but the defeat to italy is something i didn't see coming....not confident at all.....

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
All looking pretty good actually. Costa Rica beating Uruguay could be a MASSIVE help, I doubt it'll matter though because if we play anything like we did against Italy 6 points is nailed on from our final 2 games.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
So basically, we really need Italy to beat Costa Rica and us to avoid defeat to Ur A Gay?

Have I got that right?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
So if Italy v rica is a draw and we draw with Uruguay then We can go through by beating rica by 2 goals

Last edited:

TopCat

Jun 17, 2011
The ranking of each team in each group shall be determined as follows:

a) greatest number of points obtained in all the group matches;
b) goal difference in the group matches;
c) greatest number of goals scored in the group matches.

If two or more teams are equal on the basis of the above three criteria, their ranking will be determined as follows:

d) greatest number of points obtained in the group matches between the teams concerned;
e) goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams concerned;
f) greater number of goals scored in all group matches between the teams concerned;
g) drawing of lots by the FIFA Organising Committee.

Hope if it goes to option g) we have a suitably sized suitcase of cash ready ;)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here