Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

(TSGN) Thameslink, Southern and Great Northern franchise

djlazyness

Oct 21, 2011
Peacehaven
I got given an anti TSGN leafet at Brighton Station this morning. I had no idea that these changes are taking place and after reading though the leafet and the information on the website it all sounds rather worrying. The protest is called action for rail and there website is http://actionforrail.org/ and there is more information about TSGN here http://www.thameslinkprogramme.co.uk/node/129. Do you think that TSGN will be a good thing or a bad thing?

An integrated network of services, managed by a single operator, is surely better than the multi-company shambles we have had for the past twenty-odd years.

The concerns that the protestors are worried about should be focused on the terms of the new franchise, rather than the fact that a single operator will be running it.

CheeseRolls

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I got given an anti TSGN leafet at Brighton Station this morning. I had no idea that these changes are taking place and after reading though the leafet and the information on the website it all sounds rather worrying. The protest is called action for rail and there website is http://actionforrail.org/ and there is more information about TSGN here http://www.thameslinkprogramme.co.uk/node/129. Do you think that TSGN will be a good thing or a bad thing?

If you set aside the Great Northern piece. The competition between Southern and Thameslink has delivered a Hobsons Choice for a subset of passengers in the Sussex area. Those on the main Brighton line have a choice between a cheaper stopping Thameslink service, based on clapped out rolling stock, or paying more for a more modern/direct to London Southern Service. All Southern customers then have the benefit of getting stuck behind the slow/broken down Thameslink services on a regular basis.

If we end up with simpler ticketing, better service coordination and less of a blame game, it will be a step forward. To me that website very much reflects the fears of the staff/unions, rather than the paying customers.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
To me that website very much reflects the fears of the staff/unions, rather than the paying customers.

exactly, the protestors are RMT representing their members, they dont care about the service.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
An integrated network of services, managed by a single operator, is surely better than the multi-company shambles we have had for the past twenty-odd years.

The concerns that the protestors are worried about should be focused on the terms of the new franchise, rather than the fact that a single operator will be running it.

This. WITH BELLS ON

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Agree with this. Single company should be much better for passengers, but it shouldn't be an excuse to shaft their staff too.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
May 8, 2007
Toronto
If they deliver what they are promising (more regular trains, increased seats, new rolling stock, new routes e.g. Brighton to Cambridge) then I'm very much in favour of it. First Capital Connect is currently a slow, clunky, mainline service to be avoided where possible, the quicker things change, the better.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... but it shouldn't be an excuse to shaft their staff too.

is it due to merging the franchises though? we want cheaper fares. government wants to lower subsidies. company wants to maintain or dare i say increase profits. something has to give, so i reckon that irrespective of the look and make up of the franchise, some cuts were coming down the line.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
If they deliver what they are promising (more regular trains, increased seats, new rolling stock, new routes e.g. Brighton to Cambridge) then I'm very much in favour of it. First Capital Connect is currently a slow, clunky, mainline service to be avoided where possible, the quicker things change, the better.

I may be the lone voice defending FCC but the trains are usually less crowded, the fares are lower and the toilets usually work. And the route via London Bridge/Kings X is often more convenient too (even though I'm aware that it's going to be diverted away from LB for the next 4 years).

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I may be the lone voice defending FCC but the trains are usually less crowded, the fares are lower and the toilets usually work. And the route via London Bridge/Kings X is often more convenient too (even though I'm aware that it's going to be diverted away from LB for the next 4 years).

Those old trains are horrible to travel on, the seats are uncomfortable and they are so noisy. The FCC trains in the morning are often quieter but I think that's because it takes absolutely AGES for them to get to central London, they are always crowded in the evenings though. I get Southern trains to and from London Bridge each day and they are so much better.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
TSGN will (if anything) improve things for rail in the South. Those campaigning are the same ones who protest when fares go up. That website just refers to things that "could" happen. Safety critical jobs wont go, the unions wouldnt allow it.

Unions are concerned as DOO (Driver Only Operation) hasnt been ruled out for the franchise and some jobs will go as a result of the merger, as to be expected.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
is it due to merging the franchises though? we want cheaper fares. government wants to lower subsidies. company wants to maintain or dare i say increase profits. something has to give, so i reckon that irrespective of the look and make up of the franchise, some cuts were coming down the line.

In this part of the world First run the Transpennine Express :)lol:) service between Cleethorpes and Manchester Airport and they've identified that the most profitable section of the route is between Doncaster and Manchester (Picadilly). Their franchise expires next April and it looks like First are only interest in running a service between Doncaster and Manchester Airport and Northern Rail providing a 2 carriage hourly service between Cleethorpes and Sheffield.

Brovion

Jul 6, 2003
The FCC trains are indeed uncomfortable, and even though I go via Kings Cross and go up by FCC I pay extra to be able to come home via Victoria. However at least on FCC you are spared the constant facile announcements that plague Southern trains. Yes I will mind the gap, yes I will use my mobile with consideration to other customers, yes I will keep the aisles clear of hand luggage which I will store under my seat or between the back to back seats, and yes, surprisingly I don't carry luggage with me with the sole intention of leaving it on the station concourse. And having told me that electronically and automatically there is NO NEED for the guard to make the same announcements manually.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
May 8, 2007
Toronto
The FCC trains are indeed uncomfortable, and even though I go via Kings Cross and go up by FCC I pay extra to be able to come home via Victoria. However at least on FCC you are spared the constant facile announcements that plague Southern trains. Yes I will mind the gap, yes I will use my mobile with consideration to other customers, yes I will keep the aisles clear of hand luggage which I will store under my seat or between the back to back seats, and yes, surprisingly I don't carry luggage with me with the sole intention of leaving it on the station concourse. And having told me that electronically and automatically there is NO NEED for the guard to make the same announcements manually.

Yes I can't agree more about the announcements, especially on commuter trains where pretty much everyone KNOWS where they are going, that they need to take their luggage with them and should have a first class ticket in first class "accommodation". There's one particular Northern Irish bloke I sometimes get on my train who LOVES the sound of his own voice, he even runs through which carriages have toilets in them and on one occasion, as we pulled in to London Bridge, he informed us about severe delays in CARLISLE. I'm also not sure how an automated announcement can "look forward to you travelling with them again".

albionite

May 20, 2009
Yes I can't agree more about the announcements, especially on commuter trains where pretty much everyone KNOWS where they are going, that they need to take their luggage with them and should have a first class ticket in first class "accommodation". There's one particular Northern Irish bloke I sometimes get on my train who LOVES the sound of his own voice, he even runs through which carriages have toilets in them and on one occasion, as we pulled in to London Bridge, he informed us about severe delays in CARLISLE. I'm also not sure how an automated announcement can "look forward to you travelling with them again".

There are a few who love the sound of their own voice and over do it, but you would be surprised by the amount who complain about the lack of announcements and who don't have their tickets checked

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
What a lot of people tend to forget is that many of the problems are caused by Network Rail and not the operating companies, e.g. signal and line side failures, broken rails, over-running maintenance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here