Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England and the flag of St George

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I've been looking at a number of images from the '66 world cup and notice thst most if not all flags in the crowd are Union flags as opposed to the flag of St George.

A question perhaps to the older posters, when did England fans adopt the English flag?

Quite a lot of people I know, especially those from other countries associate the flag of St George with far right groups like the NF or BNP and ive been told the use of the St Georges flag came about around the same time as it was adopted by a lot of nationalist groups. Anyone shed any light?

IMG_214054373116894.jpegIMG_214054373116894.jpeg

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Euro 96 really saw the reclaiming of the St George if I recall correctly, so it's a relatively recent phenomenon.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Don't know about the flag but nice to see folks wearing suits to football, even the young 'uns.

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
world cup willie the lion mascot has a Union flag waistcoat

look at all the "ordinary" fans wearing ties to the match

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I too would suggest Euro '96. There was a period where the St. George cross was mostly associated with the far right - see this is England for example.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I always wondered what Boycie would look like without his 'tache. (Shades, towards the bottom left).

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Euro 96 really saw the reclaiming of the St George if I recall correctly, so it's a relatively recent phenomenon.

I'd agree with that. Prior to that, the cross of St George was associated with the likes of the NF but since 1996, I think it's correct association with England has been reclaimed, and thank god for that.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
There's also a very young Gary Busey down the front (floppy blond hair)

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
A question perhaps to the older posters, when did England fans adopt the English flag?

Quite a lot of people I know, especially those from other countries associate the flag of St George with far right groups like the NF or BNP and ive been told the use of the St Georges flag came about around the same time Anyone shed any light?

View attachment 55129View attachment 55129

Fishing......

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here