Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anbody lost a racing pigeon?

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Last Saturday one tried to get into our dining room window fanlight thinking it was his loft.

Wouldn't go away and ended up watching us through the window by standing on end of the barbecue.

We eventually rang pigeon club and RSPCA and they said it was probably tired and stopped for a rest on its way home and would we feed and water.

Put out some seed and water which it ignored and spent the afternoon on the roof.

Eventually, four or five feral pigeons joined him on the roof and he seems to have joined their family.

Each day since they have all turned up, including the racer, and sit on our roof.

Its ring says GB 11 but cannot read other number. IMG_2584.JPG

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I used to race pigeons when I was young...........................waits for stupid comments..........................
Anyway, it should be easy to catch if it is tame, then spread the wing and you may find the name of the owner and a phone number stamped on the wing feathers.
Owner used to do this just for this reason.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
I used to race pigeons when I was young...........................waits for stupid comments..........................
Anyway, it should be easy to catch if it is tame, then spread the wing and you may find the name of the owner and a phone number stamped on the wing feathers.
Owner used to do this just for this reason.

OK thanks for that.

Should be fun trying to catch because now if we approach the ferals take to the air with him in hot pursuit!!!

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
You would be surprised how easy it is to catch them, I've caught loads in my time, even wild ones.
There is a technique, which is not that hard to do, do you want me too share it?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
You would be surprised how easy it is to catch them, I've caught loads in my time, even wild ones.
There is a technique, which is not that hard to do, do you want me too share it?

Does it involve a 12-bore?

Thinker

Apr 12, 2011
Hi-for all things creature-contact Seahaven bird rescue on 07008 099934
They will be able to help about your racer-good luck.

WATFORD zero

Jul 10, 2003
If you do catch it, this may be handy (obviously use a quarter of these ingredients unless you manage to catch 3 of his mates as well)

Ingredients
For the marinade
4 garlic cloves, sliced
½tsp picked thyme leaves
6 black peppercorns, crushed
4 tbsp cold-pressed rapeseed oil
8 wood pigeon breasts
For the gravy
2 tbsp sugar
200ml red wine
2 sprigs thyme
6 juniper berries, lightly crushed
For the roasted leeks
12 baby leeks, trimmed
1 tbsp butter
For the wild mushrooms
handful wood ear mushrooms, sliced
15-20 wild brown closed-cup mushrooms, sliced
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
2 tbsp cold-pressed rapeseed oil
salt and freshly ground pepper
Preparation method
Pre-heat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7.

Combine the garlic, thyme, black peppercorns and rapeseed oil in a small bowl. Using a sharp knife, score the pigeon breasts' skin lightly and rub in the marinade - leave for at least 20 minutes.
To make the gravy, combine the sugar and a few drops of water in a smallish, very clean saucepan and place over a high heat to caramelise. Once the sugar melts and has gone a dark golden brown, pour in the red wine. Add the thyme and the juniper berries. Cook the sauce until it is reduced by two thirds - this will take about 12-15 minutes. Season to taste, strain and keep warm.
Place the leeks in a saucepan of boiling, salted water and blanch for 10 seconds. With a pair of tongs, remove the leeks from the boiling water and plunge into a bowl of ice-cold water. When they have cooled, drain the leeks well.
Place the leeks in an ovenproof saucepan or baking sheet with a knob of butter. Transfer to the hot oven and cook until tender - this should take about 10-15 minutes.
Heat a griddle pan until hot. Season the pigeon breasts with salt and freshly ground pepper and place on the hot griddle pan. Cook for just a few minutes on each side until cooked to your liking, then remove from the heat and set aside in a warm place for at least five minutes.
For the mushrooms, heat a small frying pan. When hot, add the rapeseed oil and fry the garlic until golden brown. Add the sliced mushrooms and cook until softened. Be careful - the wood-ear mushrooms can pop and splutter quite ferociously.
Serve the pigeon with the leeks, mushrooms, and a drizzle of the red wine gravy.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Have to say it's a fine looking pigeon, not the usual tat we see. Maybe his heart isn't into racing anymore because I am pretty certain that he is not lost, and looks like he prefers to be a free spirit to me. Good on him, you can put a tag on his leg but you can't take away his freedom.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Last Saturday one tried to get into our dining room window fanlight thinking it was his loft.

Wouldn't go away and ended up watching us through the window by standing on end of the barbecue.

We eventually rang pigeon club and RSPCA and they said it was probably tired and stopped for a rest on its way home and would we feed and water.

Put out some seed and water which it ignored and spent the afternoon on the roof.

Eventually, four or five feral pigeons joined him on the roof and he seems to have joined their family.

Each day since they have all turned up, including the racer, and sit on our roof.

Its ring says GB 11 but cannot read other number. View attachment 55124

I'm not up on this subject but I seem to recall that fanciers just wring the necks of strayers.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I'm not up on this subject but I seem to recall that fanciers just wring the necks of strayers.

I have no idea if this is true, but it does sound plausible. The last thing that a keeper of homing pigeons wants is to allow the genes of a proven non-homing homing pigeon "infect" his flock, I'd have thought...

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
11 you say?

Who's wearing 11 in Brazil?
Welbeck... figures.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills