Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any tribute from FIFA for the deaths of workers building the stadia?

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
Unless I've missed something, I've not seen any tribute or minutes silence for the 7 construction workers killed whilst rushing to get the stadia ready for the World Cup.

whilst not directly attributable to FIFA, I'm surprised there has been no mark of respect at the tournament?

happy to be corrected if wrong.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I wish I was surprised that FIFA don't seem to give one fig as to how the workers are treated for their money spinner. Over 1,000 are reported to have died in the construction of Qatar, I'm not certain of the figures for Brasil.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 5, 2014
I don't know, you see, if they were Nepalese they don't count, right ? If they were unskilled South Americans, well, then they might warrant a footnote in newspapers of poor circulation. If they're westerners, yes, I'm guessing full honours, tributes and compensation.

Dec 29, 2011
Workers that enter the country have to give their passports to their employees who choose when/if they give them back. If a worker wants to leave they can't unless their employee gives the go-ahead. Modern day slavery, makes me sick, but will I be watching the world cup in 2022? Probably.

They have a global monopoly and that's why it's of the utmost importance FIFA is run correctly and responsibly.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Unless I've missed something, I've not seen any tribute or minutes silence for the 7 construction workers killed whilst rushing to get the stadia ready for the World Cup.

whilst not directly attributable to FIFA, I'm surprised there has been no mark of respect at the tournament?

happy to be corrected if wrong.

Sad to hear about those seven, but ten died constructing the Channel Tunnel and there are no tributes or minute silences on Eurostar trains either.

These are - sad as they may seem - acceptable levels of 'attrition' for major building projects (the same way not every deployed soldier will survive, say).

The 2,000-odd people who have died building Qatar's stadia is a whole different matter, though.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Sad to hear about those seven, but ten died constructing the Channel Tunnel and there are no tributes or minute silences on Eurostar trains either.

These are - sad as they may seem - acceptable levels of 'attrition' for major building projects (the same way not every deployed soldier will survive, say).

The 2,000-odd people who have died building Qatar's stadia is a whole different matter, though.

How many people died while building the Empire State Building?
Though rumors of hundreds of people dying on the work site circulated during the time of its construction, official records state that only five workers were killed: one worker was struck by a truck; a second fell down an elevator shaft; a third was hit by a hoist; a fourth was in a blast area; and a fifth fell off a scaffold.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
When Blater dies it will be interesting if the FA insist on a minutes silence/applause before the start of UK league matches

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here